Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched this and didnt find what I was looking for, so ill start a thread that I'm sure has been done a 100x.

Do shocks setuop a little bit differently with VPP? All of my other trail bikes have been single piviot and im trying to set my Nomad up for "proper" trail riding pressure and sag. When I follow the specs on the Sanata Cruz Website it seems like its a little to still and im only getting about 10mm of sag out of the shock.

Ive had the shock setup a little stiffer than normal for ahwile because I was jumping the bike quite a bit, but for the next few rides I need to take it easy and I was wondering if there is a little trick to getting it to setup nicely in the sweet spot. BTW im 155lbs and its a DHX 5.0.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Well, you said Nomad and an air shock. What air shock do you have? The high end piggyback air shocks available today have some dramatic differences between each other in design, operation, and setup. If yours is a DHX Air, you're going to have difficulty getting an overall optimum setup for your Nomad. At the other end of the spectrum is the ISX-6 air shock. It's probably the perfect match for the Nomad and VPP...and other designs.

Setting sag is just a recommendation. You want to be able to use all your available travel, maintain a decent ride height, and not blow through the available travel. Depending on you, your bike design, and your riding location/terrain, the sag and other setup parameters can change quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is the DHX Air and ive been readind some threads in the shocks forum about setings the DHX and im getting it closer to what Im looking for. I had it setup harder because I was riding on trials that had lots of jumps and drops but now im going to the easy trails and I want it a little softer. It seems to feel decent with 155-160 in the main chamber 85ish in the boost valve and 5 clicks from wide open pro pedal.

·
whistler
221 Posts
vpp shocks

santa cruz has fox custom-valve all the vpp shocks, air and coil. an aftermarket air shock (with standard valving) will likely feel like poo no matter what you do - in particular, you'll be blowing through mid-travel if you set sag at the standard 30%. dhx coil feels way better on the nomad than the air. if you're worried about weight, get a ti spring and you're only about 1/2 lb heavier overall. roco tst air feels great too.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Never heard this on Fox

clarkalewis said:
santa cruz has fox custom-valve all the vpp shocks, air and coil. an aftermarket air shock (with standard valving) will likely feel like poo no matter what you do - in particular, you'll be blowing through mid-travel if you set sag at the standard 30%. dhx coil feels way better on the nomad than the air. if you're worried about weight, get a ti spring and you're only about 1/2 lb heavier overall. roco tst air feels great too.
And when I've talked to Fox folks on the phone, they said their suspension products to SC were off-the-shelf. They indicated that Specialized is one of the few manufacturers that have proprietarily designed and equipped suspension components. Plus it was indicated that you have to be careful when suspension and frame manufacturers use the term "custom tuned" and similar remarks. They are very liberal in how they throw this term around...even to the point that custom tuned can mean it is equipped with spacers or springs specific to a particular frame. It also appears that you're not going to get many frame or suspension manufacturers to really make public statements or confirmations about this, because indeed it sounds much more impressive to suggest that everything on a given bike or suspension component is "special" for a given situation or bike.

Think about this. If Fox indeed has been supplying "special" custom tuned DHX Air shocks for the Nomad for the last 2+ years, then they have been doing an absolutely dismal job at custom tuning. I had a new DHX Air for one of my Bullits just before purchasing my Nomad. Being very dissatisfied with my DHX Air that came on my Nomad, I swapped the off-the-shelf DHX Air from my Bullit to test if something was wrong with my Nomad shock. It performed exactly as the OEM DHX Air that came on the Nomad...lousy...and I don't think my results were unique.

Now...realize that I'm not slamming Fox. I'm not impressed with the DHX Air up to this point, but overall I think their products are very good. But let's not get carried away with these claims of "special-super-duper-custom-whiz-bang" tuning and such. Just about every manufacturer of frames and suspension components makes claims similar to these, and it's usually true in only a very small number of instances.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So instead of making a new thread I hope some people will read this and be able to help me out.

I'm looking into coil shocks because I want to get rid of the DHX air on the Nomad if its as bad as everyone says it is then I want to use the bike to whats its fully capable of. Now that Ive taken it out on some pretty tame trails I was able to see that it does blow through mid stroke pretty easily and no matter what I did to it I couldnt fully get rid ofthe problems without making the sag <10%.

So Im looking for the normal coils, I'd love a CCDB but its jsut not feasable at this point in time. What Ive come up with for a list is

Roco TST R
Roco WC
DHX 5 Coil

Do any of these stand out over the other? Or is there anyother shocks out there work really well with the VPP?

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
I'll suggest a little heresy here. VPP in general and the Nomad specifically probably don't need as highly a sophisticated shock as many other designs...as long as the shock is a piggyback design and doesn't have a "soft mid-stroke". Most piggyback coil shocks don't have a soft mid-stroke because of the inherent nature of a coil spring. Yes, some coil shocks work better than others, but you see a lot of good performance from most of the piggyback coil shocks installed on VPP bikes.

One air shock that is working excellently is the Manitou ISX-6. Those using it on the Nomad can attest to its unique "coil-like" characteristics as far as mid-stroke and overall performance go. Of the shocks you mention, I'd go with the DHXC or RWC.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm ok thats cool. I would probably go with the Roco WC because i can get it for a considerably better price but the ISX-6 is interesting. Has there been any threads on using this shock with the Nomad Vs Coils? Id love to shave weight were possible because my bike is pretty heavy as is

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.