Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i've a medium vp-free with a diabolus (28/40 chainring), a E-13 DRS chainline and a Sram Xgen front derailleur.

is it possible to set-up these parts together? i'am not able to set-up the front derailleur because i can't fix it high enough to be right with the 40 teeth ring, and the bash.

all the vp-free that i've seen have their front derailleur about in the middle of the tube before the "turn" (i don't know how to say the part of the tube that made a turn in english, sorry) and me, i think i must put it higher than the "turn"

i suppose it's me that don't make correctly the set-up.

could help me?

·
I like bikes
83 Posts
40T chainring?

is your 40T ramped and pinned? who makes it? I was trying to find an ramped and pinned 4x104 40T, but my LBS and Go-ride.com said none exist.

Sorry, i don't have a VP free, so i couldn't help you.

·
Registered
868 Posts
psxmax80 said:
hello, i've a medium vp-free with a diabolus (28/40 chainring), a E-13 DRS chainline and a Sram Xgen front derailleur.

is it possible to set-up these parts together? i'am not able to set-up the front derailleur because i can't fix it high enough to be right with the 40 teeth ring, and the bash.

all the vp-free that i've seen have their front derailleur about in the middle of the tube before the "turn" (i don't know how to say the part of the tube that made a turn in english, sorry) and me, i think i must put it higher than the "turn"

i suppose it's me that don't make correctly the set-up.

could help me?
I had heard somewhere that the X-Gen will not work with the Free (and most SC bikes). If they only make the one model (traditional swing or low swing or whatever it is called) then you will need to use a different front mech. If it looks like the one in the picture attached I can pretty much assure you that it will not work. You need to mount the mech on the lower section of the tube below the turn/bend (I think bend is the word you are looking for).

The Saint 150mm chainline front mech is supposed to be the perfect fit for a Free although I have not tried one on mine yet. It makes up for the wide rear hub spacing in a similar way to SC's e-type mounting system.

You need the top-swing like this one. Here is the link to the 150mm chainline saint front:
https://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cy...<>ast_id=1408474395181202&bmUID=1115050839544

·
Registered
868 Posts
Panzerfaust said:
I ride my Free with the Diabolus/e.thirteen setup in addition to the Shimano XT FD-M760 derailleur as you can see here. It was actually recommended to me by the guys from Speegoat who tried all kinds of different setups. This current combination works just fine.

Greetz
/PF
I use the same XT front mech and it works fine with the dual rings except that it drags slightly when in the smaller chainring. I attempted to set it up with 3 rings and could not get it to work well enough for my liking. I believe the Saint 150 front mech would fix that problem, but for 2 rings the XT works and shifts fine. If you are going to go out and buy a new one, you might as well get the Saint.

The Saint came out after the guys at Speedgoat tested theirs since I talked to them as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Psychos said:
is your 40T ramped and pinned? who makes it? I was trying to find an ramped and pinned 4x104 40T, but my LBS and Go-ride.com said none exist.

Sorry, i don't have a VP free, so i couldn't help you.
i'am not sure to know exactly what means ramped and pined but if you want to know if they are made to change speed (between the rings) the answer is yes.

it's Specialité TA chain rings. they made all types of rings.

Sorry if it's not what your looking for :D

·
I like bikes
83 Posts
Yes, by ramped and pinned, I mean it is designed to be used with a derailleur (as opposed to a standard DH straight toothed ring)

I tried to find a online store or website that had some info on these, but couldn't really find anything. Where did you buy yours, or does Specialite TA have a web page?

Thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
SRAM XGEN VP-Free no way

I found out the hard way that the SRAM XGEN Front Derailleur will not work on the VP-Free. You can't get the derailleur down low enough to avoid the frame hitting when you sit on it and the cable will also rub your frame :(

I wanted to go all SRAM for a change but if you plan on running a front derailleur then Shimano is it.

I picked up a low mount Shimano XT 760 and have had no problems setting that up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.