Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've nailed it down to two bikes, The Santa Cruz Vp-Free and the Banshee Scream. I'm leaning towards the VP-Free but I also really like the Scream. So im just wondering what you guys think.

Here's The Specs:

VP-Free:
-6069 Custom Butted Tubeset
-215mm of rear Travel
-12mm rear thru-axle
-And Virtual Pivot Point (VPP)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Banshee:
-137-201mm of rear Travel
-Easton 7005 Tubeset

Just Tell me what your guys opinion is and that would be great, Also i am a freerider and i occasionally downhill. The drops i'll be going through with this bike are anywhere from 1-17 feet. I was also wondering if either or both of these bikes would be able to take like 8 foot,maybe 9, flat landings.

·
Registered
158 Posts
no bike is really meant to go 8 or 9 to flat, just isn't good for it ;) Scream looks like a whole slab of beef and a half, thing is huge. Like all Banshee frames, probally gonna be a little more on the heavy side. Just a heads up.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Korrupt said:
no bike is really meant to go 8 or 9 to flat, just isn't good for it ;) Scream looks like a whole slab of beef and a half, thing is huge. Like all Banshee frames, probally gonna be a little more on the heavy side. Just a heads up.
whats with all the people who actually wanna do bigger drops to flat lately?
i would get a scream though. beefier, banshee sticks behind their products.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
after riding with zachdank and his crew a week ago, i am convinced that a banshee scream is the ultimate freeride machine. it will hold up to ANYTHING you can throw at it......
you get any pics from your trip?

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
i am at home right now and the software i need to upload pics is on my cpu at work, i will post them tomorrow......
and i have a customs horror story to share that will be very interesting....
sweet.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
i am at home right now and the software i need to upload pics is on my cpu at work, i will post them tomorrow......
and i have a customs horror story to share that will be very interesting....
Did the Mounties find your stash?
Pdirts pics were sweet. Cant wait to check the rest.

Oh, yeah SC VP free is cool but gotta go with the Banshee again.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
if that was all that happened, my trip would have been sweet......
did they make you smoke your whole stash then drive you around in the back of the squad car doing donuts?

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
Depends. The Banshee has about 5 full pounds on the SC. SC has a lil more travel. As opposed to the one-sided comment about Banshee standing behind their product, actually BOTH companies are good to deal with. SC has an awesome no-fault crash-replacement program, even if it's your fault or a silly accident. So that's pretty much a wash there. So really it comes down to 1) VPP suspension vs a simple tried-and-true rocker bike, and 2) Five pounds in frame weight. If either one of those is a priority then there's your winner!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that all sounds good. Just wondering anybody who's ever ridden a banshee with 5th element how is it compared to other f.s. bikes on climbing.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
well ah either of em are great bikes and either way u wont and cant go wrong...

my question to u is...

do u want a heavy bike...

do u want a light bike...

and if u want a havy bike get the banshee if u want a light bike get the VP-Free...either bike will last u forever and peform flawlessly...

·
Registered
99 Posts
freeriderp2 said:
that all sounds good. Just wondering anybody who's ever ridden a banshee with 5th element how is it compared to other f.s. bikes on climbing.
I have a scream with 5th. But haven't gotten to ride it yet. Just got my brakes in. Will probably ride this weekend though. But it'll take a few more rides to get the 5th dialed in with all its gadgets and gizmos :p .

But if you read the reviews, everyone says the scream rides lighter than it looks. But let me tell you, the dang thing is heavy when you carry it. And with the 5th, of course, you get less to no bobbing (depends on setup).

·
Rides like wrecking ball
1,122 Posts
dirtmerchant said:
I have a scream with 5th. But haven't gotten to ride it yet. Just got my brakes in. Will probably ride this weekend though. But it'll take a few more rides to get the 5th dialed in with all its gadgets and gizmos :p .

But if you read the reviews, everyone says the scream rides lighter than it looks. But let me tell you, the dang thing is heavy when you carry it. And with the 5th, of course, you get less to no bobbing (depends on setup).
The VP-Free also uses a 5th Element.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
The banshee does ride a lot lighter like all the reviews say. It's probably one of the few dh bikes that if setup right could take some climbs without it being too brutal IMO.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
freeriderp2 said:
I have an '04 Scream with Fox Vanilla RC ProPedal and it climbs really well. I had a Bullit w/ 5th E and honestly I like the Fox better. Doesn't feel as "numb" as the 5th E.

Anyway, my buddy has a Scream with 5th E, so I've ridden both on the Scream and it climbs really well with either shock. They did a nice job on the design, the bike really does feel more nimble than its weight.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Scream...

Figured I'd chime in on this one... Although the VP-free is a sweet ride, I prefer extra burly when I'm riding some sketchy stuff. I built up my Scream this Spring and couldn't be happier with it. I was initially worried about the rediculous weight, but after riding it, you would never guess the frame weighs 13.5 lbs. The most surprising thing is how it climbs. I still hang with my XC buddies... it's pretty funny, a Giant NRS Air and Spandex, then me and my Scream. But back to the point... Either bike will ROCK, but if you never want to worry about your frame again... Banshee's the clear choice...

Here's a few pics.. my Scream, a sketchy drop, and a good shot of a buttery smooth 15 footer...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.