Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I got myself a Med VPF w/ a DHX5 shock. The shock came w/ a 400 lbs spring. According to SC, for my weight of 195lbs, I'm supposed to be on a 450 lbs spring. So I order a 450 up and put it on. I still cant seem to get the propper sag point. All the spring change did was to make my ride harsher but the sag is about the same as the 400. Anybody else experiance this? What springs are you guys riding for your body weight? I'm currently getting like 40% sag but if I preload the spring a lot, like 5+ turns, then the sag is like 35%. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
868 Posts
TheBigSquishy said:
Hey everybody. I got myself a Med VPF w/ a DHX5 shock. The shock came w/ a 400 lbs spring. According to SC, for my weight of 195lbs, I'm supposed to be on a 450 lbs spring. So I order a 450 up and put it on. I still cant seem to get the propper sag point. All the spring change did was to make my ride harsher but the sag is about the same as the 400. Anybody else experiance this? What springs are you guys riding for your body weight? I'm currently getting like 40% sag but if I preload the spring a lot, like 5+ turns, then the sag is like 35%. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
I'm 190 and I ep'd my DHX directly from fox (for my Free). I told them what bike it was going on and my weight and that I wanted to do a mix of FR and DH and they spec'd it with a 500# spring. My sag is right on at about 2.5 turns and I'm happy with the ride. I have the boost setting at 100psi and the propedal turned mostly off. I don't blow through travel and bottom out, but I use a good amount of it. The bike feels plush and pedals well. I did notice that it rode a lot better if I used a little less than the recommended rebound damping.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Online setup list exists?

Fox, Progressive, Manitou, Romic, (and others), websites are useless when it comes to setting up their products to your bike.

Has someone compiled an "online list" for the bike frames, various manufacturers' shocks, rider weights, springs, and other settings?

Is there one?

Link please?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Assuming you are using the standard Fox steel spring, they clearly advise that you should limit preload full turns to TWO, then move up to the next size spring.

I weigh 220 with gear, ride a 550# spring with 2 turns, 150psi in the boost valve, and 4 clicks of propedal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.