Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got me a roller! Ain't she purrrty!!?

Having some trouble with the MRP System 3. The anti-friction plates are hitting the chainring when I try to put the crank on. Not sure what to do. Anyone here install an MSRP System 3 yet?

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Photo-John said:

Having some trouble with the MRP System 3. The anti-friction plates are hitting the chainring when I try to put the crank on. Not sure what to do. Anyone here install an MSRP System 3 yet?
I was reading in mb action and when they were testing the vp free they had to grind down the inside of the chainrings to make them fit.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
dude, your missing a crankset.....

the cardinal rule of chainguide installations; if it dont fit, grind the thing thats not fitting. As long as its not a chainstay.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
zedro said:
dude, your missing a crankset.....

the cardinal rule of chainguide installations; if it dont fit, grind the thing thats not fitting. As long as its not a chainstay.
Agreed on the grinding. :p

She's one fine machine John. :D

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Confirmation

NorcoRider said:
I was reading in mb action and when they were testing the vp free they had to grind down the inside of the chainrings to make them fit.
I just got confirmation on the need for some customization - errr - grinding. It seems that SC specs a 128 bb for this bike, which gives it a wacky chain line. So I was given a 118 bb, which causes more problems with the chain guide. Now I'm not sure what to do. Grinding looks like it won't be such an easy solution. I think I'm going to try to track down andther bb. One way or another I've got to get this thing done because I'm leaving for Moab and Fruita in one week.

·
Registered
231 Posts
No answers...

Sorry, I don't actually have any answers for your question, but I do have a question for you. I was wondering what the head angle is like with the 36, or other six inch travel forks for that matter. If I could build any bike, it would probably end up looking just like yours, its a beauty. I'd love to hear a review of how it rides with this setup once you get all the kinks worked out.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Photo-John said:
I just got confirmation on the need for some customization - errr - grinding. It seems that SC specs a 128 bb for this bike, which gives it a wacky chain line. So I was given a 118 bb, which causes more problems with the chain guide. Now I'm not sure what to do. Grinding looks like it won't be such an easy solution. I think I'm going to try to track down andther bb. One way or another I've got to get this thing done because I'm leaving for Moab and Fruita in one week.
a 128mm spindle should give it the correct chainline seeing as it has a 150mm hub (ie. equivalent to a 113mm spindle w/135mm hub). Since it uses a 73mm shell, i think only truvative makes a 73/128mm size (and make sure it's an e-type).

the cranks may not even clear with a 118mm spindle anyways.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
Photo-John said:

Might also wanna get some bar plugs..... ;)

Real nice looking ride there. Sure looks good with that fork!

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Head Angle

It's got a shorter eye-to-eye shock (8.5 inch) in the rear, in order to keep the head angle the same as it would be with an 8-inch fork.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Could you explain alittle more

Photo-John said:
It's got a shorter eye-to-eye shock (8.5 inch) in the rear, in order to keep the head angle the same as it would be with an 8-inch fork.
I'm sorry, I'm not very experience with these things or the options for setting up VP Frees. So, you have a shorter eye-to-eye shock but still get the 8.5 " of travel? Also, how does the shorter eye-to-eye shock affect the head angle? Is the ability to alter the head angle like this a new feature for the VP Free? It seems like I've read several comments about how the head angle for the bike is just not "right" with a fork shorter than 7". I'm sure these are pretty basic concepts but I'm new to this stuff. Thanks for the help.

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Less Travel

You've got it right. When I change the shock stroke, the travel changes. The rear shock now has 7 inches of travel instead of 8. I don't need 8 inches of travel for this bike, right now. I still have the stock DHX shock and when the time comes I'll get a bigger fork set up the bike for bigger stuff. This is going to be my XC bike.

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
Beauty................but I still hate that Fox 36 doo doo brown.

I think you've got a good idea with that shorter DHX.

I'd like to do the same thing except w/ my Super T instead.
Not enough gravity down here for full time 8.5" of travel.

Give us a review after your trip.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
e[I said:
o]Beauty................but I still hate that Fox 36 doo doo brown.

I think you've got a good idea with that shorter DHX.

I'd like to do the same thing except w/ my Super T instead.
Not enough gravity down here for full time 8.5" of travel.

Give us a review after your trip.
Your super t has 8.5" travel?

·
Xtremely Moderate
3,098 Posts
konabiker said:
Your super t has 8.5" travel?
:confused: Nugzhead :p .

What PJ did w/ the shorter DHX, but w/ a Super T instead of the 36.........7&7........hmm.....that reminds me......I need a drink.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow!!!

Photo-John said:
You've got it right. When I change the shock stroke, the travel changes. The rear shock now has 7 inches of travel instead of 8. I don't need 8 inches of travel for this bike, right now. I still have the stock DHX shock and when the time comes I'll get a bigger fork set up the bike for bigger stuff. This is going to be my XC bike.
That is without a doubt the sickest XC bike I have ever seen! That is the exact bike of my dreams. I don't mean to pry, but do you mind telling us how much your bike will end up costing so I can know how much I need to save. Please post some final pictures of your build. Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Photo-John said:
7" seems like a a bit of an underestamation. assuming that the 8.5 i2i dhx has a 2.5" stroke... the travel should be about 7.7" (maybe i didn't read close enough and it's a 2.25", so then it would be about 6.9")

215mm divided 25.4mm/inch, then divide by 2.75" and multiply by 2.5" = 7.695"

anyways, looks like a fun xc bike. post some pics when it's all built

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.