Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Action Sports Trader
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My initial 1" of travel on my VP-Free seems dead. When I sit on it, there is no dampening for the first 1" and then it kicks in. Does anyone else have this problem? If so,what the heck is it? Is my shock messed up or is it negative travel being used on my 5th element? Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam

·
I Just Ride
284 Posts
Sag will be used for negative travel. Did you follow the setup instructions in the progressive manual and properly set your preload and sag?

The 5th is a wonderful but complex shock, it's not your typical xc shock that you add air adjust the rebound and ride, it takes some time to get it properly set up for your riding style. If you don't take the time to properly set it up your bike will in all probability ride like crap.

If you don't have the manual you can download it from progressives site or evern better is tf tuned shox site, they give detailed info on what the individual adjustments do and how they affect the other adjustments. www.tftunedshox.com

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
DId this just start happening, or is the bike new? What are the details of shock setup? Does it happen even if you change adjustments on the shock? It sounds a bit like what has happened to me with a 5th coil when it needs service. If it's new that's not impossible, but sure would help if you provide more background details than just "it feels wrong the first 1 inch". .

·
Action Sports Trader
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Set up

The frame and shock are only about 3 months old, so I hope it does not need service yet. I have never really felt it before, but then again, I really never payed much attention to it. Well, I currently have it set up according to the Santa Cruz website for a 165lbs person. I have played around with the adjustments, the spring preload, air and so forth, but nothing helps. Once it gets through the initial 1" of "dead travel" , it feels fine. Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Sam

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Progressive

Sam:

Don't think just because your shock is so new that there's nothing wrong with it. My Heckler was delivered with a blown Progressive 5th...I'm sure of it. It was never right. They serviced it for me but I went with a DHX anyway. What a difference.
Sorry about your ride. I would send the shock to be looked at. Has anyone else taken a look at it for you? (LBS or where you got it from?)
Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Kat

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I'm thinking your shock is a candidate for a visit to Progressive. Call 'em up and discuss it with a tech, if he has ideas for you, great, but if not he'll give you an RGA number so you can send it in. I've had a bad shock with Progressive, too, it can happen (after two trips to Progressive and a third problem got it swapped out under warranty thru my original dealer; no problem now for over 2 years since). It can happen to a Fox, too, last Friday got to witness a new Fox on a bud's bike go into that dreaded stuck down mode. FWIW Progressive recommends a return to service center after 200 hours in any case.

One thing you might try is letting all the air out of the pressurized chamber, returning all adjustments to fully in and then setup your shock from scratch to see if that changes anything.

·
...is still one gear
139 Posts
had exactly the same problem..

on my Bullit with a 5th. The first cm or two of travel was completely undamped (just spring) then the damping kicked in once the shock moved further into its travel. I sent it back to the Progressive importer in England (I am in Switzerland! we had no official Progressive workshop who would do warranties in mainland Europe!) and they fixed it under warranty (description was "replaced o-ring seal")
Good luck!
Cheers & Beers A

·
Action Sports Trader
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information

Thanks,

That sound like the same problem I am having. I don't want to send it back because I will be without a bike, but oh well.

Sam

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The "dead" feel is a common way to describe the 5th.

samanderson4 said:
My initial 1" of travel on my VP-Free seems dead. When I sit on it, there is no dampening for the first 1" and then it kicks in. Does anyone else have this problem? If so,what the heck is it? Is my shock messed up or is it negative travel being used on my 5th element? Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sam
There might not be anything wrong with your shock. I experienced a similar feeling with the 5th on my Heckler and there was nothing wrong with the shock. Many other riders have experienced the "dead" feel of the 5th also.

Before the 5th element purists let me have it, I would like to add that I have talked to many riders who have used the 5th element shock and most of them described the same "dead" feel as I have. The shock was set up properly also. I tried every adjustment there is and the bottom line is that the 5th coil is not a lively shock, and is also not as forgiving on the small bumps as some of the competitors products.

With that said, I don't think the 5th is a bad shock, as it sucked up everything I went over and off of and never bottomed. The bob was still reduced even when I decreased the progressiveness of the shock. The 5th did its job. It was just the overall feel of the shock that feels... well, dead.

·
Action Sports Trader
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good shock wrong problem

No,

This is a Good shock, but I think we are talking about the wrong problem. It is just the initial 1" that is the problem, not the whole travel. The second I sit my butt on the seat it just blows through 1" of travel, undampened. It's not sag, just undampened travel. If the whole shock stroke felt as god as it does, after the first 1", I would be stoked.

Sam

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.