Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my VPFree for six months now and due to a creak I could seem to fix easily, I decided to take my pivots out for a check/regrease... I ride in Hongkong where the bike hardly gets wet, but its quite warm and humid a lot of the year (but there is a winter too).
At a guess I may have gone about 700 to 1000km

Here is what I found doing this exercise:
The 2 upper pivots came out very easily as still has grease on them.
The 2 Bottom pivots were more difficult, I got the lowest one with a bit of tapping after a few minutes... dry and no grease
The One closest to the BB was trouble, had to spray WD40 and then a Penetrat to try and release, but finally got it out with a bit of tapping... well quite a bit of tapping. unitl I could get it to move... it was dry and had some rust on it too.

I havent put it back together yet... another day..

In summary here is what I found:
Its good to have a good quality punch set for the job,
The lower pivots seemed in much worse condition, (dry.. dirt)
The bearing looked ok (no rust)
I should do this maintenance every 2-3 months

Also I did source the grease that SC recommends "Rock N Roll Supercoat grease" esp for the pivots... hope it goes back together ok

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some pics of my pivots... will reinstall them and give a go for a while with plenty of grease and care.

As u can see the third pivot from the left is in worst condition and almost thought I couldnt get it out. I will be doing a regrease every 2-3 months now... no choice, but not to bad if its all greased ok.

I ordered a VPF pro pack, but its still in the way.... takes a while to get SC stuff here.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
As I have stated in another thread about Blur pivot maintenance, I spoke with an SC tech who recommended shaving down the pivot axles 1mm since the frame and links compress a bit over time. I have done this to 2 links on my Blur and Free and everything is running very tight, no creaking, and no fake DU bushing slop.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
As I have stated in another thread about Blur pivot maintenance, I spoke with an SC tech who recommended shaving down the pivot axles 1mm since the frame and links compress a bit over time. I have done this to 2 links on my Blur and Free and everything is running very tight, no creaking, and no fake DU bushing slop.
Dusty, I'm not real sure what you mean. Can you give me some detailed instructions on grinding down the axles? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
El Chingon said:
Dusty, I'm not real sure what you mean. Can you give me some detailed instructions on grinding down the axles? Thanks!
Remove the pivot axle and grind down the side that the bolt threads into, effectively making the axle shorter and more able to pinch the frame, links, and shock(if applicable) together. I used a dremel being careful to keep all sides even, a proper grinder would likely make the job of a level grind much easier. If you look closely you will see that each end of the axle is beveled, I simply removed the bevel.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Same thing happened with my Blur also bought in Hongkong. After 6 mos, it starts to creak at the lower pivots near the bottom bracket. I did tried to removed it but I can't. Instead, I just tightened it real hard and the creak's gone...I think I just need to worry later when it's time to replace the bearing on that part later on...Cheers.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
That nasty creak...

Ya, this nasty wet SoCal winter made mine creak too. Drove me nuts! Thought it was the bb at first. Greased it and tightened it all up. Finally back to "stealth mode"!!!

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
That nasty creak...

Ya, this nasty wet SoCal winter made mine creak too. Drove me nuts! Thought it was the bb at first. Greased it and tightened it all up. Finally back to "stealth mode"!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.