Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to lighten my VP Free. I know some of you will say there is no need to lighten your bike, but I would like a few pounds off my bike. My current setup is about 40.5 lbs. I do not want to spend much. I want the cheapest way to take some pounds off my bike. Would a new set of rims change the weight? The bike is size large.

Thanks

Set-Up
FORK Boxxer Team 06
REAR SHOX 5th Element Coil: Stock Spring
REAR DER Shimano M751 GS (XT)
FRONT DER Shimano M805 (Saint)
SHIFTERS Shimano M571 RF (LX)
CRANKSET Race Face Evolve DH w/ bash guard
PEDALS Specialized Lo Pro Mag II or TIME ATAC
BOTTOM BRACKET Included w/Crankset
CASSETTE Shimano M580, 11-32 (LX)
CHAIN Shimano HG 73 (XT)
BRAKES Avid Juicy 5's w/ 203mm rotors
BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 5's
BARS Race Face Evolve DH riser
STEM Race Face Evolve DH, 31.8mm
GRIPS Lizard Skin Logo
HEADSET Dia Compe HS0218
SEAT POST Race Face Evolve DH
SADDLE WTB Pure V Race FR
WHEELS Mavic EX 325 rims laced to WTB Laserdisc Superduty hubs w/ DT 14 guage spokes, brass nipples
TIRES Kenda Nevegal 2.5 wire
TUBES Some sort of Presta

·
e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr
2,300 Posts
TI spring

and maybe a chain guide?

get rid of the front deraullier, cable, housing, shifter, and sproket all for a chainguide. idk

·
Registered
25 Posts
40.5 lbs is quite light for a bike with 8" + front and back. I understand that the VP Free is not a heavy frame ~10 lbs, but even so, your build is pretty light. Thank you for including your build kit, that makes it a lot easier to determine what to change. It's something more people should do with these posts. How much do you weigh? Where do you ride?

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
if i'm not mistaken, an LX cassette is a lot heavier than an XT cassette. you could drop some grams by switching to an xt cassette.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am climbing a lot with the bike over some cross country terrain to get to the freeride spots. I live in New England (Connecticut).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Currently I am running TIME ATAC clipless pedals. In the picture are Specialized Lo Pro Mag II pedals. I want to keep the dual chainring because I climb hills.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
it might be worth investing some money in tuning that suspension as well. at 125lbs you probably should be running the softer springs (if you arent' already).

You can save weight pretty easily almost on every part:

1. Tires (nevegal wire beads 2.5's are at least 1350g a piece). easy 1lb saved on each tire (i'll take those nevegals off your hands too :)

2. Seatpost - Thomson elite masterpiece (and cut) would save you at least 125g

3. Seat - i think your seat is around 325g, you could get a lighter 200g range saddle

4. Cranks - alot of stuff is lighter here. 2 piece crank with e13 lexan bash.

5. Front Deraileur - depending on the size you can get xtr/dura ace. DA islike 80g , xtr is around 120g. Probably looking at anywhere from 50 - 100g

6. Ti spring for 5th

7. Cassette (12-27 if thats good enough Ultegra or Dura Ace) , XT/XTR if you need the 32t. anywhere upto 200g savigns.

8. Hope 2piece floating disc brake rotors. Avid's are probably around 190-197g each, so you could save about 50g per rotor.

9. Bars/Stem - Thomson might be lighter stem wise. There are lighter 31.8 bars, carbon as well

10.Grips - you could save weight here, personal pref.

11. Shifters/rear der - you could save more weight by going to Sram X9 or X.0

12.Wheels - gonna cost bigger $ to upgrade these but they're not the lightest

13. Tubes- run regular mtb tubes or semi lightweight tubes. Saves 90g per tire if you're running regular tubes right now.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
2.3 Kendas with kevlar beads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts