Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum so thanks for the info in advance.

I'm looking at picking up a vp free frame and have a few question for those that have already done so.

The whole bottom bracket issue looks like a pain, is there any simple solution? I'm planning on running a two chain ring set up with a clamp type derailer, probably Holzfellers. any info on BB widths, spacers, E-type derailers, and rumored custom bb from Santa cruz would be appreciated.

and what is the story with the rear axle. is the only set up option a 150mm by 12mm?

thanks for the input

Rod

·
Registered
868 Posts
blackbart said:
I'm new to the forum so thanks for the info in advance.

I'm looking at picking up a vp free frame and have a few question for those that have already done so.

The whole bottom bracket issue looks like a pain, is there any simple solution? I'm planning on running a two chain ring set up with a clamp type derailer, probably Holzfellers. any info on BB widths, spacers, E-type derailers, and rumored custom bb from Santa cruz would be appreciated.

and what is the story with the rear axle. is the only set up option a 150mm by 12mm?

thanks for the input

Rod
I'm running Holzfellers, 2 rings (28/38 or 22/32), E13 DRS and an XT clamp mech. I have been using a TV 118 bottom bracket. I cannot set it up to run 3 rings with the above, it just will not shift the way I want it to. It shifts flawlessly with the 2 ring set up though. I used the truvativ e-type spacer that you are not supposed to use when you are using a chainguide to space the drive side further to the right.

From left to right:

pedal
crankarm
bottom bracket left cup
E13 back plate
truvativ spacer ring
bottom bracket right cup
crankarm w/ 2 rings and bash guard
pedal

My chainline is good enough and both the front an rear shift fine. If I were to run a 128mm bb I would use the e-type setup since I don't think the clamp will be in a good position to shift correctly. I figure with the spacer I'm only 2.5mm off of what a 128mm bb would give me.

150mm x 12mm is the only option. I'm using a Hope Bulb in the rear, but Hadley and WTB have hubs.

Setting up a bike with 8.5 inches of travel to shift well on both ends is not the easiest, but it can be done with a good deal of patience.

·
Registered
868 Posts
One more thing about SCBs e-type mount.

The e-type mount seems to do two things. It moves the mech out to the right more, but it also tilts the whole thing slightly counter clockwise if you look at it from the drive side. I think this is the only way that you will get solid shifting with 3 rings. As for 2, I'm completely happy with the clamp type.

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
ft der option

robsetsfire said:
One more thing about SCBs e-type mount.

The e-type mount seems to do two things. It moves the mech out to the right more, but it also tilts the whole thing slightly counter clockwise if you look at it from the drive side. I think this is the only way that you will get solid shifting with 3 rings. As for 2, I'm completely happy with the clamp type.
Shimano has a Saint and Hone clamp type ft derailleur for '05 that are designed for wide bb - they come on '05 IH 7 Point models.

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dogboy said:
73x128mm BB.
Saint top-swing front derailleur.
150x12 is the only rear hub option.
thanks for the input, it does look a bit more complicated than the norm, but at least smooth shifting is possible.

Dogboy, are you running a two ring set up? Also is there any sort of chain guide that acts as a spacer, or actual spacers or is pretty much just the 128 BB and the top swing derailer.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
yo

I have played around with my bb/guide setup endlessly and have come to this definitive conclusion: IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO GET PERFECT ROTATION ON THE GUIDE BECAUSE THE CHAIN WILL BIND ON THE UNDERSIDE OF THE CHAINSTAY.

That said, here is my setup:

128mm bb, evil drs with 2 spacer plates, north shore cranks with 36/24 rings, standard clamp on xt derailleur.

You need the 128mm bb to get proper chainline with the 150mm hub...plain and simple. You can grind the tips of the boomerang on the drs a bit to get a touch more rotation. I've tried using bb spacers instead of the drs spacers but they just end up creaking more.

·
2 wheel drifter
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dusty,

good input, now I just need to find the parts. I'm running budget so I'm at the mercy of whats floating around in my closet, on ebay and the classifieds. I will likely have to buy the BB new, I don't see to many 128mm BB showing up in the listings, or 150mm rear hubs for that matter either.

·
Scant abuse
171 Posts
Xtype works for me

I am using a diablous crank with two rings. I simply put bearing spacer on the non-drive side and the axle/shaft spacers on the drive-side. I use an xt clamp type front derailer with the clamp slightly filed (to clear weld) so the derailer just clears the bashring . This gives excellent chainline and derailer clearance in big ring all cogs and small ring first 5 cogs(chain rubs derailer on smallest 4) .
It also gives good clearance on both chain stays.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.