Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those VP Free owners with a more AM build, curious to know what fork you are running. I have an extra VP F frame and am thinking of building up more of an AM bike (climb and descent capable), and was looking for fork recommendations. Figured that an adjustable fork would be beneficial and was hoping to pick your brains.

Fox 36 TALAS, Marz 66 ATA/AM 1 SL, etc.

Thanks!

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Marzocchi 66 or Fox 36 Vanilla!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm running mine with a 36 Talas RC2, the 2007. I use all three travel settings every ride and they can easily be selected on the fly, which encourages using them. The 6.5" balances very well with the 7.7" in the back and the bike rides great. The BB height with this setup is around 14.3" and head angle around 67 degrees. Each inch of drop correlates to about 1 degree of steepness. In the 4" position pedal smack is a concern, but this is for climbing only where it's less of a problem.

I do a lot of rides with extended climbing and descending, as well as ups'n'downs.

The Marz 66s are heavier and travel adjust is not as easy, but performance is said to be excellent and could be the ticket depending on your riding.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am also running an '07 Fox fork(van RC2) on my VP. The bike climbs great for a big bike and I never really have any probs getting up the hill. I am running the stock rear shock, but am going to switch to an 8.5 X 2.5 like some have done. It sounds like miklorsmith hos done that with his. For trail and freeride use, this set-up has been said to work extremely well. I was going to go with a 66, but they are heavier and unless you get an '07 66, your not gaining much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I run 1 VPfree frame with different setups.

AM = TOTEM COIL, DHx AIR, FULL XTR (Inc. Chainset 170mm), Hadley/Sapim CX Ray/719 wheels with 2.25 Snake Skin Nobby Nics, Big Bettys or Single ply Minnions, Thompson Post and Stem (50mm), Easton Carbon DH Bars, Avid Carbon Brakes (160mm, 203mm)

DH = Change the Shock for an Avalanche Woodie (great shock) with ti spring, Chainset for Diabolus 165mm with 42T and remove spacer to fit DRS chain device. Hadley/823 or Hadley WTB Lazer DH wheels with 2.7 Minions, 2.35 Swamp things or 2.35 Hich Rollers or 2.5 Michelin 16's. Shorter post/saddle and I am done.

Ride either V12 Mag/Ti Axle or Mallet Mags for both setups depending on what I am riding.

I am going back to 40's for racing DH, Totems are nice, just not as fast with them as the 40's.
She climbs like a dream with the Totems on, no need for wind down, 180mm gets me to places that the XC boys can only dream of up in the mountains.

AM Weight = 33lb (Wheels arrive on Saturday and hoping for sub 33lb)
DH Weight = 37lb+ depending on tyres.

Takes less than 1hour to change the bike over from AM to DH.

·
Extreme XC
85 Posts
fosbibr said:
For those VP Free owners with a more AM build, curious to know what fork you are running. I have an extra VP F frame and am thinking of building up more of an AM bike (climb and descent capable), and was looking for fork recommendations. Figured that an adjustable fork would be beneficial and was hoping to pick your brains.

Fox 36 TALAS, Marz 66 ATA/AM 1 SL, etc.

Thanks!
Mine (before it was stolen) had 66 RC2X - I didn't find it that bad to climb on (and did a bunch of climbing on it - an average night ride would be 1000m vertical, and I've done several rides on it where there have been hills with other 1200m climbs). Even really steep and technical stuff was ok - just a matter of body positioning, strength and bloody-mindedness.

A friend had 66 ATAs on his, and liked them - but did find that the ATA would wind itself down while descending (which wasn't so good).

Jono

1 - 6 of 6 Posts