Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here she is all built up and RTR weighing in at 34.59lbs....and no the front wheel is not touching the ground.

SPEC.
med vpfree w/5th element gravity air shock
06 marz 66SL
CK headset
thomson x4 elite 50mm stem
truvativ holzfelzars bars w/odi lock-ons
brakes - Hope mono M4's, 7" discs F&R
thomson elite post
sdg bel-air rl saddle
saint shifter
xt cranks 34t> no chainline issues here
e13 LG1 c/guide
pedals wellgo magnesium w/cro-mo axles
xt derail w/11-34t xt cast
mavic xm321 rims (hubs: R-tufneck F- x-gemini)
tyres IRC Trailbears 2.25 F&R

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All MtnFree Ride

R1D3R said:
So does that free have the regular 8.5 inches of travel? Is this a trail bike? It's very sleek looking.:thumbsup:
I raced DH with this frame in 05 with some good results, but upgraded to a v10 for this year.

Considered selling the VPF and getting a Nomad for trailriding, but wasn't fancied on how it looked so this got me thinking.

I did some weight sums and thought damn, I could build a light enough VPF for trailriding and if I wanted to competitively DH it, just swap out some parts.....and well.. here's the results.

My goal is to get it to 33lbs ish which is doable, but may require some CF parts and a new wheel/hub set... even at it's current weight it feels very light and is crazy manoeuvrable.

The 5th Gravity feels fine and hopefully it can stand up to some DH runs, my 5th Air on my 4x has survived now for close to 9mths without any inside attention so would expect the Gravity to do similar.

Thankfully I can experiment with air pressures to suit.

Travel is around 7.75 with the 8.75 x 2.5 5th Gravity shock (std shock is 8.75x2.75).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have thought of building up one of those, and use it to dirtjump-freeride where one needs to pedal and do some trail riding. Its definitely light enough to pedal around, but how does it feel on DH runs set up like that. My current rid is a Bullit with a 05 66 RC and Fox Coil DHX5.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Wrench at my LBS built one up all air too. 66 SL & DHX air, only he used 2.8 Mich. tubeless on his at 39lbs. Lighter than my Bullit, (black), w/2.5rear & 2.7ft. Nevegals at 43lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.