Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's put a David Letterman style Top 10 list together.

I'll kick it off :
Filip Meirhaeghe (Recently quit racing bikes, used to ride them for Specialized, and hasn't exactly proved to be intellectual.)
Ryder Hesjedal (Looks like he just won his first World Championship on a nice 26"er)
Junior Bush (too easy, figure out yourself)

Oh man, 10 won't be enough for this top-10. Give me yours!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cloxxki said:
Let's put a David Letterman style Top 10 list together.

I'll kick it off :
Filip Meirhaeghe (Recently quit racing bikes, used to ride them for Specialized, and hasn't exactly proved to be intellectual.)
Ryder Hesjedal (Looks like he just won his first World Championship on a nice 26"er)
Junior Bush (too easy, figure out yourself)

Oh man, 10 won't be enough for this top-10. Give me yours!
Junior Bush...........too funny!!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ssmike said:
Why limit it to XC guys. XC guys will race anything if it means they'll go faster and is in line with their sponsorship obligations.

Shawn Palmer gets my vote.
I've come across numerous XC'ers that just said "it'll never work". As they're comeptitors, I'm glad they said that, I'll one day use it against them. I like the forum posts about the average early 29" adapter being of more than average intelligence and biking maturity.
If I get my way, we'll soon be able to compile a 30" bike : 2x 150mm travel, 700c x 2.5" tires. If Shawn's about winning, he'll have to give that a try for sure. Funny thing he's got plenty cash to order a 30" tire mold, the connections to have a custom fork, frame and wheelset done for him. No-one has done it, or even volunteered to take up the bill for their part of the project.
But that's all way off topic.

Miguel Martinez (5'4.5", only recently made the switch from canti's right to discs)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Cloxxki said:
I've come across numerous XC'ers that just said "it'll never work". As they're comeptitors, I'm glad they said that, I'll one day use it against them.
The US XC pros that I know are open to 29ers, but being the extreme weight weenies they are aren't keen on the wheel weights - regardless of any benefits simply due to the size. Gram counters. Some day.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
In no particular order:
-Dave Turner (unfortunately)
-Tinker Jaurez
-Any builder who resents Gary and takes him seriously enough to try to thwart "his" movement
-The people at Arrow (24" wheels)
-Specialized; 24" wheels there too, plus it's not complex enough (anyone seen a Demo 9?)
-Half of the Weight Weenie board
And in following the moderator's lead and making 1/3 of my list political:
-Bill Clinton (better things to ride)
-Max Cleeland
-Michael Moore (his fat carcass better stick with the smallest, most stout wheel around)

Expect Kerry to take a more nuanced and sensitive approach, but never really say which he prefers.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ssmike said:
The US XC pros that I know are open to 29ers, but being the extreme weight weenies they are aren't keen on the wheel weights - regardless of any benefits simply due to the size. Gram counters. Some day.
I'm working on an XL sized 8kg bike, lack of funds slowing down the process considerably. Under 9kg as a hardtail, and 100% raceable for my 190lb ass. Just need a nice frame, though could use my Fisher which is even lighter than what I'm longing for (1800g, Cloxxki geometry). An Airborne fork, some new shifters and rear der, a KMC chain, perhaps a new handlebar, and I'm there. New lighter tires would help. Weight penalty for 29" over 26", BTW is just 300g, while 26" pro bikes differ some 2-3kg between each other. A well built 29" FS can be lighter than some pro 26" hardtils actually used.

My best friend Ivo (he very badly wants a niner, but his missus has a strong latin character).
Most riders in my club (automatically against everything I come up with, good or bad)
Thomas Frischknecht
'96 Atlanta Olympic champ Bart Brentjens
(Unfortunately. He's rumored to have tested a 29" Giant, but only with custom Dugast Tubular tires, not with decent fatties.)
Any Dutch sports racer over 6'2" (They are unexpectly sceptical about it)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Any member of the MBR staff...

...a UK bike mag that I will openly confess to disliking. One of any number of stupid things they have written, and I'm not quoting verbatum, as the last copy I looked at was probably over a year ago but "a number of our bike testers won't even consider riding hardtails anymore" Yep those are the kind of open minded, subjective people you want to do your testing!
Luke

·
This place needs an enema
16,330 Posts
Speaking of Filip + Brent...

...Here's something for y'all to chaw on:

I was privy (about a month ago) to a conversation about these two top-level racers. Two different reputable sources related the same facts:
1) Brentjens tried and very much liked adult wheels.
2) Brentjens convinced Filip to try them.
3) Filip rode them, saw the advantage, and immediately asked Specialized to make him one for the Olympics.
4) Specialized said "No".
5) Filip said "Fine, but I'm going to find a different sponsor, one who WILL make me a 29"er, at the end of the season if YOU won't".
6) Specialized said, "Okay, we'll make one, but you can't ride any of our competitors products"

The facts get sketchy here--one source thought that meant that S was going to then produce a 29" Epic frame, tires, and rims, while the other source only suspected it meant they were going to make a HT and tires.

Either way, it's pretty much a moot point because Filip is a cheating dolt.

My question is this: If you're Specialized, and you've been slagging the idea of 29" wheels for years, but you've just dumped a pile of cash into the concept to keep your rider happy, do you then shitcan the idea because said rider is gone? Or do you suck it up and try to get a little return on the investment? I know what we all hope, but only time will tell what they decide...

MC

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Can I add to that....

LJintheUK said:
...a UK bike mag that I will openly confess to disliking. One of any number of stupid things they have written, and I'm not quoting verbatum, as the last copy I looked at was probably over a year ago but "a number of our bike testers won't even consider riding hardtails anymore" Yep those are the kind of open minded, subjective people you want to do your testing!
Luke
99% of the Forum users (or "Tossers" as we know them) on Singletrackworld.com They should all write for MBA / MBR or failing that 'The Sun' :D

MBR did the same thing with singlespeeds a couple of years ago in an amazingly biased test (in favor of a big advertiser) They rightly got a slagging off for that. :cool:

and Brant at On-One.....oh no, he's changed his mind about them ;) (just like singlespeeds)

Can't wait untill the GF Rig comes out over here!

SSP

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mikesee said:
...Here's something for y'all to chaw on:

I was privy (about a month ago) to a conversation about these two top-level racers. Two different reputable sources related the same facts:
1) Brentjens tried and very much liked adult wheels.
2) Brentjens convinced Filip to try them.
3) Filip rode them, saw the advantage, and immediately asked Specialized to make him one for the Olympics.
4) Specialized said "No".
5) Filip said "Fine, but I'm going to find a different sponsor, one who WILL make me a 29"er, at the end of the season if YOU won't".
6) Specialized said, "Okay, we'll make one, but you can't ride any of our competitors products"

The facts get sketchy here--one source thought that meant that S was going to then produce a 29" Epic frame, tires, and rims, while the other source only suspected it meant they were going to make a HT and tires.

Either way, it's pretty much a moot point because Filip is a cheating dolt.

My question is this: If you're Specialized, and you've been slagging the idea of 29" wheels for years, but you've just dumped a pile of cash into the concept to keep your rider happy, do you then shitcan the idea because said rider is gone? Or do you suck it up and try to get a little return on the investment? I know what we all hope, but only time will tell what they decide...

MC
Wow Mike, that's some really really cool inside info! The genious of my idol Brentjens convinced Specialized rider Filip. I bet Brentjens said something like "Ryder would sure have beaten you, had he had a 29" bike last year". and "I'm not going to sit this one out, 2004 are my last Olympics. If this 29" thing is worth any look, I'm going to take that look, I don't want to be dropped by Ryder or yourself on the final descend while being the best in the Athens race" I'm too much a pro to let that happen."

What I heard, Brentjens saw at some point 3 National Top-10 riders all switching to Nishiki Bigfoots, while they clearly weren't forced by their team or sponsors. In group trainings, some other unknown 29" junior rider handle a particular rough section with an intriquing easy. Brentjens was by then showing curiousity. He borrowed a Nishiki, talked to riders that couldn't stop raving about it, and then put Giant and Dugast at work. His Dugasts, most likely, are 26" Michelin treads turned into a 45mm silk tubular.
Ha, don't you hate to be Filip, after trying 29" wheels, checking your contract, and see the Specialized name above it? Too funny they said "no" at first, to a reighning world champ.
It wouldn't surprise me if Filip's quick retimerement will be used by Specilized as if nothing changed on the 29" issue. They're against it by religion.
The cash it costs Specialized to develop a few samples of an existing model in a new sizing, and perhaps roll some rims, that won't hurt them much. They only did it because of one employee demanding them. If they already made a tire as well, hmmm, that might hurt them. Still I put Specialized in my "least likely" list. The world won't be the same when they show up with anything 29" related, and will have to take a lot of crap from consumers like myself. First say you're against it, and then try make a buck with it. Either way, Specialized is facing hard times regarding 29".

Mavic (Whatever they didn't come up with first to cash in licences, is obviously a fad)

·
Registered
147 Posts
hows about...

adding the guys at Kona...for all their quirky behavior and the funky bikes and trend setting ways....My buddy is a dealer and when he asked if they would do a 29er the response he got was that they were a passing fad. this is the company that popularzied the cross bike in an american bike line, the chopper bike, the retro cruiser back in the day, the freeride bike, etc. (i know they were not the first with any of these, but they were the first box brand to offer a lot of these) what's up with that attitude.

oh, and fellow west virginian, sue haywood, so she can kick all their butts next year; olympics be damned.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thomas Frischknecht. Over a decade of competitive XC racing, and he's only come from 26" (559), to now 650c (571). Riding for Scott and Ritchey, 700c has a long future for him in Cyclo-Cross and Road racing, and after his retirement, hybrid bikes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.