Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to purchase a new saddle for my Trance X build. I have been riding WTB Rocket V saddles for 8 years. I want to try a little longer saddle because I do a lot of long climbs these days. (1000-3000 feet elevation change) Please vote for one and tell why. If you prefer a different long, narrow saddle besides these two, go ahead and suggest!

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
876 Posts
You gotta decide saddles for yourself. Both are excellent saddles, do they feel right to YOUR butt?

The Fizik is available in the competitive cyclist demo saddle program, unfortunately not the WTB.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mountain-bikes/demo-saddle

I think this is money well spent, I used this and got the Selle-Italia Yutaak, but I spent a fair amount of time on each to decide.

David B.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input! I appreciate the heads-up about the demo program. Unfortunately, because of where I live right now, I must buy before I try. Kathmandu in Nepal is a fair distance away from Competitive Cyclist. So far the Gobi is taking the cake....

·
I Ride Alone
289 Posts
I have a Gobi it is OK, length is good but platform not firm enough. I'm 145 pounds.

I like the silverado, but like the Vigo better.

I am now using a WTB Vigo, its ugly but I love it. Works for me. I have two, one on a Gravity dropper.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Gobi for me. But with long climbs, there could be other more suitable saddles out there - there's the Fizik Tundra that looks like it's got a bit more out the back may be better for long climbs? The WTB saddles didn't work for me.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
you need to go by what fits you , not what everyone else likes
some like more padding, some like no padding
you need to find out what width is best. Specialized has a buttometer that you sit on and it shows how wide your sit bones are. It basically a foam pad with measurements on it. maybe you could sit in the sand and then measure how far apart the dents are. If a saddle is too narrow it will feel like its cleaving you in two. if its too wide it can be hard to slide off the back. If I had to make a mistake one way or the other I would make it too wide, at least you would be sitting on your bones not your taint. I dont like the width of the silverado or devo, I like more padding so I use the PureV I believe they are silverado133mm, devo 140 and pureV 145mm wide weight wise the PureV is around 35 grams heavier

the vigo is the longest, decent width 143 a little heavy but nice padding

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To all of you that said that choosing a saddle is a personal choice, I couldn't agree more. However, when I have to order from outside the country where I reside, it becomes a public matter... I like the width of Rocket V (130mm) so I want to stay with that size. I have a Pure V which is 145mm and didn't like it. It was too wide for me. I didn't feel I could transition from behind the saddle quickly enough on steep high-speed descents. It is now on the bike with the kid's seat for taking my daughter to school. Don't need to get behind the saddle for that!

Thanks guys for your opinions! I am going to try the Fizik Gobi XM first and see how it fits. I found a deal on a carbon railed model so I went for it. Will have to post a review after riding it for a while I guess.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.