Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep we are getting killed in the voting. It really never ceases to amaze me how apathetic riders are in our area. I guess people just take it for granted that we have a few good trails around here. It really boggles my mind that people around here are so lazy and generally disinterested in making anything different or better happen. Look out west what people have done. I will admit local managers aka the Forest Service is certainly a road block for anything other than general maintenance and trail cleansing. However here we have a land manager that willing to let the biking community to build something awesome but it probably won't happen. They asked for support from PAS but PAS had to decline. Why? Too many apathetic riders and not enough resources to commit. We only have ourselves blame.

Kudos to those who are trying on private property.

·
Registered
226 Posts
No, so far it does not look good.

I figured with 13 shops in the AVL area we'd have a few more votes than the other spots in the south...not to mention almost 2000' FEET OF ELEVATION in Gorges.

I put a lot of work into this, my only regret is not having more infrastructure to make the video out of. Bell wanted each applicant to make a video to promote the project, but at Gorges, there is nothing but a visitors center so I had that working against me. Pat Keller and Zach Heaton were very helpful providing clips to use for the project...otherwise I would have had nothing to work with. There are no maps of future planned trails in Gorges, or an existing trail system, or anything really...

What's with you saying PAS declined to support the project? Those folks did not decline, if you have heard otherwise that is news to me. All they could do to support it at this point is promote the voting...care to share what you heard?

It does help that Knoxville has ten times the population of Brevard, their tourism board could promote it all over, and they do have a healthy cycling scene. I'm satisfied knowing that I tried, and that all I wanted in return was a place to ride.

Although, Cane Creek, I-9, Oskar Blues and Ohlins have all promoted the voting page on their social medias and today is only first day of voting, so maybe we'll catch up!

·
Registered
302 Posts
No, so far it does not look good.

I figured with 13 shops in the AVL area we'd have a few more votes than the other spots in the south...not to mention almost 2000' FEET OF ELEVATION in Gorges.

I put a lot of work into this, my only regret is not having more infrastructure to make the video out of. Bell wanted each applicant to make a video to promote the project, but at Gorges, there is nothing but a visitors center so I had that working against me. Pat Keller and Zach Heaton were very helpful providing clips to use for the project...otherwise I would have had nothing to work with. There are no maps of future planned trails in Gorges, or an existing trail system, or anything really...

What's with you saying PAS declined to support the project? Those folks did not decline, if you have heard otherwise that is news to me. All they could do to support it at this point is promote the voting...care to share what you heard?

It does help that Knoxville has ten times the population of Brevard, their tourism board could promote it all over, and they do have a healthy cycling scene. I'm satisfied knowing that I tried, and that all I wanted in return was a place to ride.

Although, Cane Creek, I-9, Oskar Blues and Ohlins have all promoted the voting page on their social medias and today is only first day of voting, so maybe we'll catch up!

You are correct PAS was never asked to help with this endeavor. Might be confusing this with the discussion our trail coordinator had with a Gorges representative who was asking for some possible volunteer help thru PAS. That discussion took place before this Bell project was publicized. I believe you had conversation with our trail coordinator about all of that.

Regardless I know PAS is trying to promote this effort on Facebook, email, etc. Thanks for trying to make this happen in our backyard.

·
Big Mac
4,981 Posts
While the low voter turnout is certainly disappointing, calling folks "lazy" and "disinterested" hardly seems like an effective method of garnering votes. I'd hazard to guess that the apathy is far, far more complex than that. Aside from this forum, I've seen nothing of this endeavor, anywhere.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I would have thought the local bike shops and related interest groups would be advertising this like crazy. I don't know if it's the lack of awareness or apathy by the riders around here like said above, but it is very disappointing. Not surprising, however, as the riders around here are the most disjointed and dysfunctional large group I have ever been a part of. That's not an insult. It's the truth. For such a large number of riders, we have very little collective voice.

·
Big Mac
4,981 Posts
I would have thought the local bike shops and related interest groups would be advertising this like crazy. I don't know if it's the lack of awareness or apathy by the riders around here like said above, but it is very disappointing. Not surprising, however, as the riders around here are the most disjointed and dysfunctional large group I have ever been a part of. That's not an insult. It's the truth. For such a large number of riders, we have very little collective voice.
It's sad, but it's true. It's always been that way. I don't know why, but no one has been able to effectively lead and join riders as a whole.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,218 Posts
You guys need to spam this on the facebook page or forum of every club in the southeast. Brevard has a huge tourist draw from all over the south. Use that to your advantage. They will want to vote and ride for this stuff too.

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,218 Posts
In the 5 minutes since I posted that I added a link to our local club's facebook page and have already gotten you guys a few more votes. You're going to have to work to beat the big city club who's building a trail in their backyard.

·
Registered
196 Posts
800ish votes seems way low. I wonder if there was some issues with the voting or just the verification via email. I know I didn't get an email through one of my accounts I used.

Props to you Baker! Way to at least try. Have you thought about a different approach? Maybe crowdfunding/sourcing? Indiegogo or Kickstarter? Would be interesting to see how well it would do. Just make sure to set the goal correctly and offer good incentives. The shops might provide you with some good incentives and maybe some of the local talent can help as well. For instance have a Team BGB riding clinic for $100+ donations.
The carolina climbers coalition does this (without using a crowdfunding platform) when they have purchased/leased cliffs in the past, ie the purchase of Laurel Knob in panthertown.

I forsee California as the winner. Not being pessimistic, just looking at the data.
Those votes were just to get the 3 finalists. Then there is another round of voting. The hope was to get past the east coast round and then have all of the east coast backing that one option. Though I still agree with you. EC has a population advantage but I don't think we are quite as active as a whole as say CA/CO. Still we should have more bikers just based on population numbers or at least be close. However year round riding in SoCal breeds a lot of active riders and clubs.

·
Super Moderator
2,168 Posts
Those votes were just to get the 3 finalists. Then there is another round of voting. The hope was to get past the east coast round and then have all of the east coast backing that one option. Though I still agree with you. EC has a population advantage but I don't think we are quite as active as a whole as say CA/CO. Still we should have more bikers just based on population numbers or at least be close. However year round riding in SoCal breeds a lot of active riders and clubs.
Yeah, I know how voting works. But CA had 12K votes, while MN had 6K. Big difference. NC is still doing bad. TN kicking our behinds.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
It'd probably help area mtbers be more united if every time somebody/ some group tried to so something good for the collective, most of the discussion didn't focus on how whatever the effort is "won't work here" because of how divided the community is. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Great job Park...I actually do know how much effort has to go into trying to get a project started and all respect to everything you've gotten to happen so far...keep it up!

I voted...one time...as I am only one person.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts