Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents and Gals,
Marin needs a bike park more than any place in the country. As you probably know, Marin mtb access is nonexistent, despite having 11 high school teams, being the arguable birthplace of mountain biking, having lots of offroad cyclists, and beautiful plentiful open space.

The Stafford Lake Bike Park is a finalist for a $100,000 grant from Bell and needs your help by voting.

The bike park will start construction this year and include everything from dual slalom, freeride, slopestyle, dirt jumps, downhill, pump tracks, trails, etc. Designed by Lopes, Wier, McCaul, Hillride and the community, this will be a premier bike park. Free and easy to get to.

Check out the Facebook page, website and Bell voting website, includign the video we shot for this grant.

Spread the word, we need everyone's help to win.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan, founding board member and Secretary of Friends of Stafford Lake Bike Park

vote for Stafford Lake Bike Park graphic.jpg

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dave. I love SC and have lots of friends there, including some that are involved with the flow trail. However, they are already building it, and it is one trail in a place that has many more mtb options than Marin. The Stafford Lake Bike Park is approved and shovel ready, with Phase 1 (of 2) starting construction in May of this year. It will be a FULL ON BIKE PARK. I have a 2yo girl and 5yo boy that will come with my wife and I and ride together, as it will have progression opportunities from beginner pump track to advance pump track, dirt jump, trails, DH, dual slalom, slopestyle, etc etc etc. Appreciate the support in voting!

I voted for this rather than Demo because I think it is important to get more projects moving in Marin, where the climate is so anti-bike.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks Dave. I love SC and have lots of friends there, including some that are involved with the flow trail. However, they are already building it, and it is one trail in a place that has many more mtb options than Marin. The Stafford Lake Bike Park is approved and shovel ready, with Phase 1 (of 2) starting construction in May of this year. It will be a FULL ON BIKE PARK. I have a 2yo girl and 5yo boy that will come with my wife and I and ride together, as it will have progression opportunities from beginner pump track to advance pump track, dirt jump, trails, DH, dual slalom, slopestyle, etc etc etc. Appreciate the support in voting!
you guys did a nice job of making the case for the grant in your video (hopefully people watch the videos, especially people trying to decide which of the two rad bay area options to vote for). this would be a huge win for Marin and I really think the grant money would make a bigger difference to Stafford than to Demo.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Gents and Gals,
Marin needs a bike park more than any place in the country. As you probably know, Marin mtb access is nonexistent, despite having 11 high school teams, being the arguable birthplace of mountain biking, having lots of offroad cyclists, and beautiful plentiful open space.
I wuz gonna vote for Stafford, but then I realized u are the dood that Strava's every single trail in Novato that shouldn't be on Strava. :nono:

Demo it is.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Not sure why I keep hearing Demo doesn't need it? We in the South Bay are fraught with closed trails and access. Most of the good trails are primarily illegal and anytime we try to build something, it's either shot done outright, designed without bikes in mind, and/or done under the cover of night. By allowing a well built, bike minded, destination worthy (something we don't have), legal trail, we make room for massive opportunities all throughout the Bay Area. We are working on extremely limited funds and rely HEAVILY on volunteers and donations. Since our first round, donations have been very hard to come by so this grant will ensure we can deliver a top notch trail in a shorter amount of time.

We need this as bad as anyone so consider The Demo Flow Trail...we'd love the support.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I don't care how you vote as long as we get it in the Bay Area. I am concerned that we are splitting the vote and the money will go to Oregon or Arizona. But there is nothing we can do about it.

But ya gotta vote!

·
Registered
519 Posts
A county owned mt bike specific park with dual slalom and dirt jumps? Wrong end of the bay but, this seems like a huge swing in the right direction. Stafford lake has my vote.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't care how you vote as long as we get it in the Bay Area. I am concerned that we are splitting the vote and the money will go to Oregon or Arizona. But there is nothing we can do about it.

But ya gotta vote!
I'm worried about that also Mike! Adding up the votes for both we can beat AZ but divided it is going to be harder.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Gotta vote Demo......Stafford lake is too far away, the north bay already has a flow trail, and we've got very few legal trails down in the south bay

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Here's a crazy idea (and NO idea if this is even doable) but....maybe we should come up with an agreed upon date where whoever has the least amount of votes between us two groups will graciously drop from the contest and relinquish all votes to the other's purse.

Just a thought...

·
roadie
744 Posts
pfft. if California, with a population of 38M can't split votes and still beat two states with a combined population of 10M i'm trading my Bronson for a Diamondback. coz we ain't rad.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I think everyone from Marin and Santa Cruz should have gotten together and decided which project to support together. That way we could have beaten the AZ crew out. We just ****ed ourselves out of 30K worth of trail care crew. Oh well. I'll just shut up now because I'm a hater right. STFU Davey!
I tried on the other Bell Grant thread Davey, but no traction:

OK time to get all political & $h!t - we probably can't win this thing if the Norcal vote gets split between these 2 (anyone remember Season 4 of The Wire when Carcetti splits the black vote between Royce and Gray to win for Mayor - we can't let Carcetti win again!)

I propose some sort of primary election in the Norcal party to see who represents in the general election - could be an MTBR survey by 4/7? Or maybe Squashyo can thumb war or arm wrestle a Stafford representative for it?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts