Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which would you buy?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a new Giant Trance X and need to purchase a new set of wheels. I currently have a Hope Pro 2/ Mavic 819 setup with Wheelsmith 2.0/1.7 spokes. The total weight with 15QR adapters is 1920 grams. They are strong and haven't needed to be trued in the 2 years I've owned them, and I don't go easy on them. I want something a bit lighter, still strong, and UST compatible. I am thinking in the 1600- 1700 gram range.

Thus I can either order a handbuilt and try and ship it here,
OR I can get an 09 or 10 Mavic Crossmax ST from Thailand,
OR order a Shimano XT WHM778 from Thailand or Ebay it from Israel.

I have read most, if not all the reviews for the Crossmax. I also previously owned a Crossmax XL set which I sold several years ago to go with a wheel with standard spokes. I am familiar with the mineral oil overhauls, fast wearing plastic bushing, and need to buy 12-24 spokes at a time. Still the stiffness/weight is intriguing.

The XT 778 is interesting. I have read many reviews, but have yet to see a set in person or talk to someone who owns a set. I am fairly certain I could obtain spokes here. I assume the freewheel is also easily serviceable as it a Shimano design. On the other hand they are roughly 100 grams heavier because of the need to run DT Swiss centerlock adapters with my discs. Are they as strong and stiff? Are they as good?

Any info/experience is greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have a trance X with crossmax ST wheels.

After 1 season, my nylon bushing developed a crack. I also have to take apart the freehub every couple of months and clean it out to keep it running smooth.

A pain in the butt, but the wheels have performed very well (210~230lbs depending on gear, XC to light AM). I haven't had to true/ replace any spokes yet, although I'm not looking forward to that.

If I had had the choice from the beginning, I would have probably tried XTR wheels instead. I don't like the proprietary designs. A custom set of XTR hubs with 819 or DT swiss rims from chain reaction are around 500$ USD. The full XTR are around 720$ USD from the same place. About the same price as a set of crossmax ST wheels. Also check out fulcrums......they make some nice wheels too.

I also think CRC is having a 10% off sale for a couple of days.....the code is in the deals forum.....

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I'm on Crossmax currently , looking at the change to XT's . I dont like the propriatary nature of the Mavic's .

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
you should consider changing rims only. you have a good set of hubs, much better than mavic. your rims tip in around 500g.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts