Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally I tend to migrate towards Avalanche, but after reading what Vorsprung does with their Tractive tuning, it looks like it does something pretty similar.

Anyone that's a lot smarter than me comment on the differences between the two??

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,131 Posts
I’m going to put my helmet on for this thread.

Reactions: johnsogr

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
I thought about giving Steve a try, but ended up going with Craig as I did both a fork cart (Yarilanche) and the rear damper, (SD RCT Coil) figured they may balance a bit better if he did both ends.

Interested to hear what people say.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
No one? Shieeeet...
i've had good luck with tractive on my super deluxe ultimate. i made a post about it in the ibis ripmo aftermarket shock thread.

damping is supportive without being harsh, and they install a linear base valve in place of the stock digressive. they also fix the ultra wonky stock rebound damping. it comes heavily preloaded and the adjust goes 0-100 real quick. with their mods, the adjustment range is more usable.

big thumbs up to vorsprung tractive.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I have a Hightower v2 with a Super Deluxe and am in between getting a Tractive Tune or going the Avalanche route.
this is all very subjective, but as mentioned above, i have a tractive tune on that Rockshox damper, as a part of a Super Deluxe Ultimate Air, and i'm pretty happy. depends on what you're aiming for.

they fixed the rebound circuit issues with the shock out of the box, there's good 'platform' without the shock feeling spiky on the High-speed circuit. using the questionnaire that surveys rider weight, terrain, style, and skill, i feel like they got pretty close to what i wanted with the tune they provided. the LSC is a LITTLE on the heavily-damped side, but i do prioritize pedalling so i'm fine with it.

service and turnaround were both very good.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Personally I went with the tractive and have been really happy with mine.

I think for the price of both being similar there is more involved work and fine tailoring being done to both the compression and the rebound on the tractive. Also while dealing with avalanche years ago while Craig may be super knowledgeable and will take time to explain his stuff while maybe being curt I also felt it a little uncomfortable that he didn’t have as much tools for tuning (data logging, dyno) maybe that’s changed since then. I think you see this kind of thing a lot in other tech fields and auto tuning and really it takes both dyno tuning and road tuning plus data logging to come up with the best complete package and while yes maybe some can get a great tune just road tuning why pay the same for something with less data backed in the tuning?

To me push and Vorsprung are the two that have invested the most in doing the accurate research involved in gathering the data necessary to come up with the changes necessary to tune appropriately with data loggers and dyno’s to verify changes made.

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
I knew Push were good but I never thought they'd manage to squeeze a modified Charger into a shock.
Other way around. They squeezed a modified shock base valve into a charger!

The big difference between the Vorsprung and Avalanche is Steve at VS has franchised his tuning system out worldwide so those tuners (like me) get to see what is involved in matching up a tune to a bike and rider.

Craig at Avalanche is the only one who knows what goes on inside his tunes. I see the occasional Avalanche tuned rear shock here in NZ for service, but haven't yet seen a Super Deluxe from them.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up going with Steve at Vorsprung for a couple reasons:

-They're local (less than a 2 hour drive away, so shipping is quick and easy). The border is closed so I can't ship to Avalanche from the US side.
-The cost of the tuning at Vorsprung actually turns out less than Avalanche because of the US/CDN dollar exchange. Mind you, while the Avalanche site is SUPER detailed about what he does, Vorsprung's site isn't as detailed so you just have to rely on the "we'll make it better" statement.
-I wanted to try something new even though I know Avalanche's stuff is good.
-I knew turn around would be really fast...that's probably because things have slowed down due to 'vid-19.

Not sure what tools Craig has access to but in the past, Craig has always been pretty spot-on when it came to tuning stuff. Not sure if that's from the years of tuning before getting into MTB's in the late 90s, but I feel he knows what he's doing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Other way around. They squeezed a modified shock base valve into a charger!

The big difference between the Vorsprung and Avalanche is Steve at VS has franchised his tuning system out worldwide so those tuners (like me) get to see what is involved in matching up a tune to a bike and rider.

Craig at Avalanche is the only one who knows what goes on inside his tunes. I see the occasional Avalanche tuned rear shock here in NZ for service, but haven't yet seen a Super Deluxe from them.
Basically our tune converts the compression lever into a threshold adjuster(what steve I believe calls a Tractive tune(preset threshold to overcome before the adjuster becomes effective). The Midvalve is then tuned to the leverage of the frame and rebound to the rider weight(pressure or spring rate).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Basically our tune converts the compression lever into a threshold adjuster(what steve I believe calls a Tractive tune(preset threshold to overcome before the adjuster becomes effective). The Midvalve is then tuned to the leverage of the frame and rebound to the rider weight(pressure or spring rate).
Great to hear a reply Craig, I for one would love more input from yourself for new products you may be producing in the future or info on how you design and protype products, in fact just more activity if time permits ? Thanks.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Have had success with Avy over the years, tuning that works, no complaints. just scored a fok with an avy cart! stoked. Its on the way to get dialed in next week.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Basically our tune converts the compression lever into a threshold adjuster(what steve I believe calls a Tractive tune(preset threshold to overcome before the adjuster becomes effective). """The Midvalve is then tuned to the leverage of the frame and rebound to the rider weight"""(pressure or spring rate).
except for mine of course

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.