Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Hightower CC V2
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sending my SD in to Suspension Syndicate to have the Tractive tune done. I’m curious about people’s experience with this setup. Also Wondering if there’s any need to run a Megneg..? I’m coming off a YT Jeffsy with a Push 11-6 on it so I do miss the coil feel/performance. Does the Tractive improve small bump significantly? Thanks guys

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
You sure you're not sending it to Melius suspension? I have a SD scheduled for the same thing, dropped it off last week in Whizzler. My bike is different, a GG, but Steve was recommending a MegNeg.

·
Premium Member
8,664 Posts
Dougal (who offers their tunes in NZ) has commented they are a bit firm, I am guessing most of the riders they deal with are pretty aggressive/fast (they are right doen the block from Whistler). If you are looking for plusher, probably aim for the lighter end of their offered tunes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What MY is your Hightower? As far as I know +2021 models have RS’s high flow piston fitted in the SDU and the Tractive tune won’t work yet. Steve said in an email that they were working on it, are the new tunes available?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sending my SD in to Suspension Syndicate to have the Tractive tune done. I'm curious about people's experience with this setup. Also Wondering if there's any need to run a Megneg..? I'm coming off a YT Jeffsy with a Push 11-6 on it so I do miss the coil feel/performance. Does the Tractive improve small bump significantly? Thanks guys
Is it the most recent Hightower? If so I found the only thing that really improved the small bump was fitting a coil but unfortunately there are clearance issues and the spring rubs the tunnel. I tried the Tractive tune and whilst it was an improvement overall I just didn't gel with how much feedback the bike gave back.

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
Sending my SD in to Suspension Syndicate to have the Tractive tune done. I'm curious about people's experience with this setup. Also Wondering if there's any need to run a Megneg..? I'm coming off a YT Jeffsy with a Push 11-6 on it so I do miss the coil feel/performance. Does the Tractive improve small bump significantly? Thanks guys
I've graphed out megneg vs standard and the results to me show Megneg is pointless. Unless you want more forced sag. There's a thread here on it.

Tractive isn't really about small bump compliance, it's more about stability and control. But it does get rid of the preloaded harsh entry in the super deluxes. It also gets rid of the clunking. The Super Deluxe shocks have a decent amount of friction and are never going to be super sensitive.

Keep in mind the tractive tuning system is a framework and your final result is going to depend on who your tuner is and what they want you to have.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've just had my SD Tractive tuned on my 2020 Hightower and it's using a cascade mullet link. Id describe it as feeling firmer with more control, it doesn't feel as mushy. You could possibly describe the bike as it feeling like it had more potential to travel quicker but that's not to say it would be more comfortable.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
I’ve always had great feedback with the tractive tunes, and you can’t replicate the damping rates with the stock arrangement so it’s the best option for sure. If you’re coming off the coil spring Jeffsy I would probably go with a megneg too (depending on weight) as it makes as much, if not more difference.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I had it done to a SD Air for the Megatower, first with the stock link and then with the Cascade link. I didn't like it at all. Harsh as hell. People said it was made for aggressive, fast riders... all I could feel were my feet bouncing off the pedals if I tried riding fast through rough stuff. It felt like I was fighting the bike the entire way. But, that's just me... I'm sure many others love their Tractive tuned stuff. I will say Vorsprung was really good to deal with.

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
I had it done to a SD Air for the Megatower, first with the stock link and then with the Cascade link. I didn't like it at all. Harsh as hell. People said it was made for aggressive, fast riders... all I could feel were my feet bouncing off the pedals if I tried riding fast through rough stuff. It felt like I was fighting the bike the entire way. But, that's just me... I'm sure many others love their Tractive tuned stuff. I will say Vorsprung was really good to deal with.
This is why I put my comment about it's up to the tuner. The Tractive tunes can put you anywhere from harsh as hell to soft and bouncy. It's all up to the tuner. The tractive framework gives you Vorsprungs benchmark recommendations. You don't have to follow them.
The Vorsprung guys go bigger than I do. So I tune softer. But it depends on the rider and the rider has to be honest about their riding.

Today I did a tractive retune (another shop did the original install) and had to go firmer than the original to get to where I think the customer needs to be.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Interesting, did you ride it in the stock configuration at all? And was it installed at Vorsprung? The whole concept is based around custom valving and can't really be generalised as "harsh" or for aggressive riders as the range of possible tunes go from about as soft as you can imagine up to Clydesdale on a specialized e-bike firm! I just wonder if there was something else going on with the bike

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the responses! My HT is a MY20. I’m about 190lbs kitted up. I’m also running the Cascade link (non-mullet). I experimented with the Megneg but ended up going back to stock can. I’m able to run zero vol. spacers with the CC link and haven’t experienced any harsh bottom outs. I ride pretty aggressively and do shuttle runs at least 2-3x a month. The Hightower does give quite a bit of feedback thru the pedals for sure.
Has anyone had their SD Tractive tuned thru Suspension Syndicate?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Interesting, did you ride it in the stock configuration at all? And was it installed at Vorsprung? The whole concept is based around custom valving and can't really be generalised as "harsh" or for aggressive riders as the range of possible tunes go from about as soft as you can imagine up to Clydesdale on a specialized e-bike firm! I just wonder if there was something else going on with the bike
Yup, rode it in stock configuration for a while and it felt harsh like the initial reviews of the Megatower said. Then I sent it in to Vorsprung directly. After I got it back from them, I didn't notice much of a difference. Well, the only thing I felt that was different were the high speed hits...it felt like the sharp edge was reduced a little bit...and the climb switch worked better. But beyond that, nothing special. When I got the Cascade link, I tried something different and picked up a CCDB Air 230x60. Right off the bat, it was better. I gave the Super Deluxe another try and sent it for a re-tune for the Cascade Link and stressed the fact that I don't jump and usually stay glued to the ground. When it came back it felt a little better than before but I ended up sticking with the CCDB Air and eventually went to CCDB Coil.

Again, the Vorsprung guys have always been great to deal with and I would try them again down the road.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've graphed out megneg vs standard and the results to me show Megneg is pointless. Unless you want more forced sag. There's a thread here on it.

Tractive isn't really about small bump compliance, it's more about stability and control. But it does get rid of the preloaded harsh entry in the super deluxes. It also gets rid of the clunking. The Super Deluxe shocks have a decent amount of friction and are never going to be super sensitive.

Keep in mind the tractive tuning system is a framework and your final result is going to depend on who your tuner is and what they want you to have.
So I did see your thread about volume spacers causing the shock curve to spaz out on the SD. I'm running 0 tokens on the standard can. I am noticing that I reach the end of the stroke on every ride but I really can't think of any time where I had a noticeable bottom out. I was definitely able to feel the bottom on my Jeffsy running newest 11.6 with the HBO.
What are some key points that I need to let my tuner know about my riding so that he can have a better understanding of what I want?

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
So I did see your thread about volume spacers causing the shock curve to spaz out on the SD. I'm running 0 tokens on the standard can. I am noticing that I reach the end of the stroke on every ride but I really can't think of any time where I had a noticeable bottom out. I was definitely able to feel the bottom on my Jeffsy running newest 11.6 with the HBO.
What are some key points that I need to let my tuner know about my riding so that he can have a better understanding of what I want?
A proper tuner will be able to base-line your ideal spring and damper rates and compare those to what you're already running.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
Just explain how it feels to you in your own words - whether it has enough grip, support comfort etc you will get a form to fill out with appropriate questions too

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A proper tuner will be able to base-line your ideal spring and damper rates and compare those to what you're already running.
Just explain how it feels to you in your own words - whether it has enough grip, support comfort etc you will get a form to fill out with appropriate questions too

So a little update: Ive since went back to the stock air can. I should have done this a long time ago but im still learning and this has been a damn good learning experience.

Im having a really hard time wrapping my head around what all is going on in my shock to make things feel pretty much perfect now. I began setup with getting correct sag by using frequency as my guide. Noticed @ 30% sag and 0 tokens quick test in the driveway i could smash the pedals down and get to the bottom of the stroke fairly easy. I added 1 token and this fixed the issue in the driveway. Pressing hard on pedals with 30% sag and 1 VR i was getting about 75%-85% travel used, which ive heard is ideal. took the bike out to my local trails yesrtday and some today. The shock feels so good. Whats INSANE to me is how now all of the sudden this bike doesn’t blow thru its travel and now my travel indicator o-ring no longer hangs out around bottom out.

Im 190lbs kitted
RSSD settings:
PSI: 210
Vol. Spacers: 1
LSC: -7 from closed (pedal friendly) -10 (DH)
Rebound: -3 from fast/open

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.