Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a pair of 2.3 ExiWolf's on my 2004 Dambala and they fit great! The dropouts not set all the way aft and there is still a couple mm's clearance on both sides of the tire. It is set up as a single speed right now so I can't move the dropout any further back unless I put a smaller chainring or cog on it. I will re-post when I put my XTR crankset on with a 32t front ring...

AND - we have a pre-production Aizan that we showed at the Sea Otter and the 2.3's fit beautifully. NO problem. Bad news is that the Aizan is still a couple of months out. Sorry to those that are waiting. We decided to make a couple of last minute subtle changes that were important enough to hold up production. Our 18" frame weighs in at 3.45 lbs with the adjustable dropouts so it will be nice and light as well. I will post a photo as soon as I get one.

Attachments

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Great Info - I would love to see a pic of that Azian.

I know this is a bit off topic, but what I am really excited about is the new Rada. The pic on the website looks really good, and a nice steel road frame at a decent price point will be sweet. What is out there now? Surly, Soma, Salsa, Kelly (but we are getting pricey), Waterford (ditto). None of the others have the cool factor that the Rada does IMO, and only the Salsa (and the higher dollar Soma) is 853, though the Kelly and Waterfords TT tubing is probably as good.

What is the story on the Rada - tell me you guys are moving forward with it! Are you keeping the sweet rust color?

LP

PS - The old Rada was one of the best riding road frames I ever through a leg over! I liked it better than my IF Club Racer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh. The Rada

We are moving forwar with the Rada. Right now we are waiting for a sample from our Taiwan manufacturer. If it pans out the price will still be more than our 853 frames. That is simply because the tubing is more expensive. But it will be a good price for one of the lightest steel road frames you can buy. My last prototype frame weighed 2.9 pounds! Sweet ride too. Stiff and comfortable. - jb

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
voodoojb said:
We are moving forwar with the Rada. Right now we are waiting for a sample from our Taiwan manufacturer. If it pans out the price will still be more than our 853 frames. That is simply because the tubing is more expensive. But it will be a good price for one of the lightest steel road frames you can buy. My last prototype frame weighed 2.9 pounds! Sweet ride too. Stiff and comfortable. - jb
PLEASE...I repeat PLEASE...Keep me in the loop on this deal!

I want one! 59 square please!

LP
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Quick ? for you -

I know BTI has a few of the earlier 853's instead of the newer 05 Dambala's in stock - is the rear clearance the same as the pic?

Also, if you run discs, are there guides on seatstay for lines and are the brake bosses removeable?

Any idea on the frame weight for 18/19"

Thanks

D

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Thanks for the update, but DO post some proto pics, we love those!

And errrr, John? H-bar and short stem? What do you know that we don't?
You've certainly got yor weight in the back with that setup! Is that singlespeed-specific for you?

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Alta825 said:
Quick ? for you -

I know BTI has a few of the earlier 853's instead of the newer 05 Dambala's in stock - is the rear clearance the same as the pic?

Also, if you run discs, are there guides on seatstay for lines and are the brake bosses removeable?

Any idea on the frame weight for 18/19"

Thanks

D
I've got one. Can't answer question number 1, but for number 2, yes and yes, and for number 3, you can run a search for Dambala and my username. I posted the weight of my 19" 853 frame (there is no 18" 853) when I first got it. 5lbs3oz comes to mind, but don't quote me on that.

·
Bryn Mawr Borracho
191 Posts
Is it just me?

that clearance doesn't look all that impressive. What if you deputy-dawg-a-dinga-dong-dang that wheel at Fruita next week? Looks tight. Sure it rides swell, however, if my Wanga One is anything similar.

cheerios,
-Hurl E.
CRC

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
It's not impressive by far, but thanks to the shape of the Exi, it does fit. Don't think an XR would, let alone an XR Front, those have real biters in the sides.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
Cloxxki said:
It's not impressive by far, but thanks to the shape of the Exi, it does fit. Don't think an XR would, let alone an XR Front, those have real biters in the sides.
I'll agree. I'm glad their QC is very poor so it enabled me to back out of the purchase of mine. I got the custom Spicer, which has about 3/4" tire clearance or maybe even more on both sides, for cheaper than the Voodoo. Lighter, no v-brake posts, and full custom specs...pretty much a no-brainer!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I guess that came out more negatively than I meant it to, as I'm actually a huge VooDoo fan, own 3, and it never seems like enough. Definately need more.
That said, such tire clearance would be a deal braker to me, and I'm not even into big tires that much. Exi's and XR's maybe be the biggest 29" tires, but that doesn't make them overly wide.We are of course in this for the volume, not the skinny tires that always came with the larger hoops. Good to hear the new Aizan (cool, sliding dropouts afterall!) will have more room though, and that the '04 can handle the Exi.

If I weren't broke, my money might be set aside for an Aizan. Providing it not only fits my tires, but also ME, it should be a prefect do-all race machine.

Still I wonder how that tight hiney on the Dambala ever happened. 29"ers are all about getting the rear tire to fit.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Tire clearance varies considerably with dropout position

Judging from the picture and what my '04 Reynolds 853 frame looks like with a Mythos tire on a Delgado rim in the rear, I would guess he has the drops slid only about 1/2 of the way back. If you run gears or if your gear choice allows you to have the drops slid further back, it opens up a lot more room.

I can't answer for VooDoo as to why they designed it that way. It seems to me that if the sliding drops were an important feature they should have considered how it would work with them slid all the way to the front. If he took the picture with the drops all the way back, everyone would probably think the frame has plenty of clearance for the Exiwolf.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cloxxki said:
Thanks for the update, but DO post some proto pics, we love those!

And errrr, John? H-bar and short stem? What do you know that we don't?
You've certainly got yor weight in the back with that setup! Is that singlespeed-specific for you?
Yeah it looks funky. I actually have not had a chance to ride it like this yet. I am trying a new position with my seat way back like the Wobblenaught fit on my road bike. I have a shorter torso to thay is why I need a shorter stem...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hurl -

Impressive is not the word to use for sure. Neither is 'great'. But it is nice that the tire can be used with the frame even though it was designed for a smaller tire like the Motoraptor or Nanoraptor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.