Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Volunteers Needed to Build the NEW Aerie Trail in SEDONA

3K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  traildoc 
#1 · (Edited)
If after reading the follow you or an organization you are a member of want to help several hours or more with the Aerie project please let me know.

I have been slightly involved with the new Aerie trail project going on in the Cockscomb area near Boynton Pass Road. This project was started about nine years ago and it looks like within two weeks the final approvals will be done and construction will begin shortly after the approval process.

The total length of the project is about 2 1/4 miles long and upon completion the trail will be a nice intermediate (with some short advanced sections) connector to the Deadman's, Cockscomb, Doe Mountain and Old Aerie trails.

So here is the deal, I envision the project taking 250 to 300 man-hours to build. At this point we have myself and the lead volunteer signed up to build the trail. The lead volunteer has spent over 60 hours working on the actual routing of the trail and numerous hours working with the Forest Service to get the project to the current stage.

So I am asking the viewers of this post to help with the actual construction of the project. I have asked the lead volunteer to request that the trail be constructed in a manner that the completed sections can be ridden and hiked before the whole project is completed.

My idea is to start the trail at the west end of the Deadman's trailhead parking lot and to start building from there heading to Doe Mountain. That would give the volunteers a nice place to park their vehicles and either bike or hike to the future current construction point.

My hope is to get a large number of volunteers; so that the project will take less time to build and no one volunteer would be doing more work than they are comfortable with. Initially it would probably be best to have no more than six people working on the trail at anyone time to get a feel for the most safe and efficient size group.

My thought is that some volunteers might only want to work several hours while others will be able to work longer. Initially I will probably be the person to coordinate the scheduling of the workforce so I will be putting a together a spreadsheet that will include volunteer contact information, days and time might be willing to work and prior experience using hand saws, long handle hoes, McLeod's, Pulaski's and picks, brushing, rock stacking, etc.

If someone wants to volunteer to help but doesn't have the physical ability to do the actual building of the trail, but does have other skills that they think would help such as: coordinate volunteer help, volunteer recruting, provide refreshments to the workers, coordinate the sign building process, getting waivers signed etc. that would be great.

Once this project is successfully completed the hope is that experience gained from the project will be moved forward to complete other worthwhile projects in a more timely and efficient manner.

Since I have taken the initiative to move the process forward by posting this thread without conferring with the Forest Service, it will be interesting if any of my vision will be accepted.

I don't know if it is possible, but I am going to try and get the FS to provide Red Rock annual passes to people who volunteer at least four hours to the completion of this project. Wish me luck on that request, my pass is expiring and it would be nice to get a free pass for all the work I will be doing.

TD

See less See more
#3 ·
Maadjurguer said:
what's your timeframe for wanting to get this done? I realize it's dependent upon how many volunteers you get....but when are you wanting to start building? Ballpark is good enough for now....
I want to start the day after we get the final approval which hopefully will be next week, but maybe the week after. If you want to be put on the potential volunteer list let me know on this thread and will start a list with you being the first potential volunteer.

Thanks for your interest,

TD

#7 ·
traildoc said:

I don't know if it is possible, but I am going to try and get the FS to provide Red Rock annual passes to people who volunteer at least four hours to the completion of this project. Wish me luck on that request, my pass is expiring and it would be nice to get a free pass for all the work I will be doing.

TD

Weren't the RR passes found to be illegal and now unnecessary?

#9 ·
Chalkpaw said:
Potential Volunteer List for the Aerie Trail Project.

1. Maadjurguer
2. Chalkpaw

Some how I need to figure out how to easily get the skill level of each volunteer for using the following tools and doing rock carrying, rock stacking and vegetation removal. My idea is to have each volunteer give a number between 1 and 10 (1 being less skilled and 10 being most skilled) on using each of the following tools and doing the following work:
This is how I would rate myself.

Using the following tools:

1. Long Handle Hoe (8)
2. McLeod (8)
3. Pulaski (7)
4. Pick (6)
5. 5' Leverage Bar (9)
6. Hand Saw (9)

Doing the following specialty type of work:

1. 30 lb. or less Rock Carrying (6)
2. Rock Stacking (7)
3. Vegetation Removal (8)

Other special volunteer skills?

The above information would be incorporated into the spreadsheet.

#10 ·
put me down on the list.

I would say that I have a good level of experience building trails. many hours helping to build all over us. IMBA trail building school 3 times. many hours doing all the task listed above. and have served as a small crew leader on projects to maximize building efforts of a large volunteer force.

#12 ·
brianc said:
put me down on the list.

I would say that I have a good level of experience building trails. many hours helping to build all over us. IMBA trail building school 3 times. many hours doing all the task listed above. and have served as a small crew leader on projects to maximize building efforts of a large volunteer force.

1. Maadjurguer
2. Chalkpaw
3. Motochick
4. Scott72
5. Brianc

#14 ·
ACH57 said:
Add me. I'm motochick's (Brenda) husband.

Adam
Thanks Adam

1. Maadjurguer
2. Chalkpaw
3. Motochick
4. Scott72
5. brianc
6. ARCH57

This is a sample of one of the signs I hope to get approved for the construction project:

Attachments

#15 ·
@Traildoc:

I'd suggest you get rid of the 1-10 scale.....to much variability with no real gain in information for you. Suggest you stick to 1-3: 1 = no experience with respect to trail building, 2 = some experience with respect to trail building, 3 = Lots of experience with respect to trail building.

This way you can group folks based on your trail days......identify the 1's and pair them with a 3 and then not have to worry about them......identify the 2's, give'em a refresher.....watch them for a bit and then correct actions and move on.

#18 · (Edited)
Maadjurguer said:
@Traildoc:

I'd suggest you get rid of the 1-10 scale.....to much variability with no real gain in information for you. Suggest you stick to 1-3: 1 = no experience with respect to trail building, 2 = some experience with respect to trail building, 3 = Lots of experience with respect to trail building.

This way you can group folks based on your trail days......identify the 1's and pair them with a 3 and then not have to worry about them......identify the 2's, give'em a refresher.....watch them for a bit and then correct actions and move on.
Good Idea Kinda:thumbsup:

I my younger days I use to be a ditch digger and had no trail building experience. I was good at my job and loved the work, Therefore based on your rating I would be a (1) when actually with about 20 minutes of instruction I could be a (3) using a pick or polaski.

From my trail building experience the workers who get the most trail built are the ones who have used hand tools doing their own work or working for an employer such as a landscaper, gardener, plumber,etc. Therefore is is my belief that anyone who is use to working with the type of tools we will be using could be a (3) in trail building this trail in very little time.

I would love it if about 20 undocumented landscape workers with no trail building eperience volunteer for the project, we could get it done in two days.

#19 ·
Trail

I am in.

Using Mad's system.

Using the following tools:

1. Long Handle Hoe 3
2. McLeod 1
3. Pulaski 1
4. Pick 3
5. 5' Leverage Bar 3
6. Hand Saw 3

Doing the following specialty type of work:

1. 30 lb. or less Rock Carrying 3-Och
2. Rock Stacking Before or after beer? 2
3. Vegetation Removal 1

Other special volunteer skills?

Beer drinking=12:thumbsup:

Thx,
John

#23 ·
WaylonMcFlailin said:
Wife and I can do last weekend in July.

Don't know what a McLeod nor a Pulaski is, but I learn fast. I can do the rest of the list just fine.
This is going to be a fun group:

1. Maadjurguer
2. Chalkpaw
3. Motochick
4. Scott72
5. brianc
6. ARCH57
7. RobZona
8. surfndan
9. circusubet
10. raisingarizona
11. WaylonMcFlailin

#26 ·

I'll be starting a four week trail construction project next week up here in Flagstaff. After it is done, I'd like to lend a hand with your project, if you haven't gotten it completed. I'm a (10) with all the tools you listed, a (5) stacking rocks, and a (10) carrying rocks and removing vegetation. My special skills would be that I can build a proper switchback and solve problems that come up in the field.

I'll probably start a new thread to mention this to Flagstaff locals, or anyone else interested,but on July 29th, I have recruited a large number (up to 100) of Americorps members to do trail work on the AZ Trail near Snowbowl Road. That is the plan at this point. Each year, Americorps members from throughout the state hold a summer conference at the NAU campus, and during the days they are up here, they organize a volunteer service project. Each year I try to recruit as many of them as possible to do trail work. They are only available from about 8:30am until noon on Thursday, the 29th. We will have plenty of tools and safety gear for all who want top join us, along with Forest Service staff. It's always good to have experienced builders, who are also riders, present to lead small crews of 7-8 people. We are scouting out a work location on the west end of Fort Valley, just to the west of Snow Bowl Road. We hope to help tie together some of the last unfinished sections of the AZ Trail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.