Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a fox 36 rhythm on my giant trance x 29. It's got 150mm travel but I've never used more than 100mm of travel and the fork feels harsher than I'd like.

I weigh around 175 lbs loaded up for riding (170 without riding gear).
I've got compression fully open,
Rebound at 8 clicks open from fully closed,
And I'm running 75 psi.

Sag is at 25mm, fox recommends 22-30mm.

The manual shows that the fork ships with 3 volume spacers installed. I'm planning to remove some of them.

The question is how many to leave installed? I'm leaning towards leaving only 1 and go from there.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
66 Posts
I've got a fox 36 rhythm on my giant trance x 29. It's got 150mm travel but I've never used more than 100mm of travel and the fork feels harsher than I'd like.

I weigh around 175 lbs loaded up for riding (170 without riding gear).
I've got compression fully open,
Rebound at 8 clicks open from fully closed,
And I'm running 75 psi.

Sag is at 25mm, fox recommends 22-30mm.

The manual shows that the fork ships with 3 volume spacers installed. I'm planning to remove some of them.

The question is how many to leave installed? I'm leaning towards leaving only 1 and go from there.

Thanks in advance.
Leaving 1 installed is a good starting point. Your guaranteed to feel a difference and you can start bracketing from there. I too have this fork and I run 2 volume spacers at 62 psi (I'm 160lbs with gear). When your are removing the air cap don't use an adjustable wrench because it will damage it. Its worth it to by a flat ground socket (32mm for your fork) or to get a pair of Knipex pliers wrench.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leaving 1 installed is a good starting point. Your guaranteed to feel a difference and you can start bracketing from there. I too have this fork and I run 2 volume spacers at 62 psi (I'm 160lbs with gear). When your are removing the air cap don't use an adjustable wrench because it will damage it. Its worth it to by a flat ground socket (32mm for your fork) or to get a pair of Knipex pliers wrench.
I've got one of the fox 32mm sockets on the way.

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on this.
With just 1 volume spacers the fork was better but still didn't have great small bump sensitivity. I serviced the fork and it made a huge difference. I pulled the air shaft and wiped off the excess grease, lubed it properly. I also serviced the lowers. It's soo much better now, it's like a whole different fork. It's moving so much smoother and easier that I had to go up 5 psi to get sag correct since it was sagging way too much. I pulled the last volume spacers but will likely add one back in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.