Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering switching tires. The Ignitors look good. How do the compare for cush and volume to the Nano's? How does the rolling resistance compare? Thanks Scott

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nanoraptor and Ignitor 29er

I have both mounted on front rims (I run road rims 19-20mm outside width). The Nano is about 1/4" larger diameter, casing for Nano is 52mm wide, for Ignitor about 51.5mm. I did a roll down test on the two a couple of days ago on the street in front of my house. Over two blocks there was 5-10' or so more roll out of the Nano. I didn't measure top speed, used the same rear tire for both, so the effect may be greater for two tires. I have ridden both several times on the same hard packed granite sand roads and single track with a little loose gravel or pine needles. I havn't been able to detect a significant difference so far, but the weather changes between rides and the trails are drier or wetter every time out. The Ignitor may have a little better traction cornering hard, but then just knowing it has better side knobs may make me feel like it is better. :D

Both are obviously cushier than the Continental Vapor and Schwalbe Little Albert as they are quite a bit smaller. I just got an Exiwolf and hope to try it this weekend. I also want to put a 26" Python up against the Nano and Ignitor in the roll down test just for fun. I'll see if I can get a post up about that.

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Sounds like they are pretty close. I used to run the Python here in AZ and it worked well for the terrain. I was leaning towards the Ignitor, but now I am not sure. I want big volume, light, grippy and cushy (way to much to ask I know). Thanks again

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
I think the edge volume wise goes to the Nano.
But I'm really starting to find the Ignitor's sweet spot...which is ending up about 10psi under what I normally run...
I think the Ignitor's volume sits squarely between the littler Moto and the slightly larger Nano.

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Padre

How would you consider the rolling resistance and comfort of each tire? Also how is the grip? Does the side knobs on the Ignitor make the grip better than the Nano? Thanks

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
IBIKEAZ said:
How would you consider the rolling resistance and comfort of each tire? Also how is the grip? Does the side knobs on the Ignitor make the grip better than the Nano? Thanks
Nano seems to roll faster, but the Ignitor is obviously lighter...so it's a vexing decision.
The grip of the Nano is not lacking, but the Ignitor has much bigger lugs and excels in looser stuff.
Side knobs on the Ignitor seem inconsequential...

Note: I was HATING the Ignitor, thinking it was horrible until dropping the pressure significantly. At 225lbs I'm running at about 30psi and it's handling just dandy....up and down.

Still love the Nano though....

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I think I'll get some Nano's. The look a lot like the Python that works well here in Arizona for me. I like the idea of the bigger volume. Heck maybe I'll get both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.