Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This kind of started on the 2007 NM Endurance Series and well, lets see how many want to come out and play. It was kicked around about having a 8-10 hour race and I thought, sounds like fun. I was looking at doing a training ride like this to get ready for the 24 hours in the Old Pueblo and what better way to get ready for a race:thumbsup: . Come out for one lap, three hours or all day. Smack talking will only be allowed for the people racing the full eight hours. Here are the basics:

Date: February 3, 2007
Times: 9am-5pm
Length: 8 hours
Lap length: 12-15 miles.
Winner: the most laps WITHIN the 8 hours (ties then go to time).
Staging / starting location: Malof Airpark

Legal Stuff: You are responsible for your own actions and ability. Please pre-ride (when I give you the map). You are responsible for your own medical needs if you crash.

This is not a sponsored event, but I will ask a few bike shops if they will be willing to throw us a little swag.

More info to come….

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
Sound like fun! I currently have that day free, so would be game.

Is that Maloof Airport, on the westside? How is it currently looking, snow-wise? I doubt I would get a pre-ride in, unless I come in on Friday and get in an afternoon loop. What's an average loop time you've done? Would be cool to get in 100 miles in 8 hours, if the route is that fast.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RichardinLA said:
Sound like fun! I currently have that day free, so would be game.

Is that Maloof Airport, on the westside? How is it currently looking, snow-wise? I doubt I would get a pre-ride in, unless I come in on Friday and get in an afternoon loop. What's an average loop time you've done? Would be cool to get in 100 miles in 8 hours, if the route is that fast.
Yep, the Malof Airport is on the Westside. Saturday it was a slippery mess up there but will dries out quickly (if it doesn't snow). As far as average time, I've never done it race mode so I'm not sure. I hope to get out there Thursday and have a map and more info for you.

Attachments

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
red5jedi said:
Ok, more info. I rode it yesterday and came out with 12.5miles and it took me 1:15 to do one lap. Total vertical gain was 1138ft. It's still a little muddy in places but we'll have to see what happens with the weather.
Thanks for the update, info and great map. Let's hope that this latest storm doesn't mess things up too much. It looks like most of next week should be dry and mid-40s. If it can just maintain that pattern for another week, things should be able to dry out and give a great ride.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Sounds like fun...I'm in....although I may only get half a lap in before dark. Is there a sag wagon??? :D

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
red5jedi said:
Ok, more info. I rode it yesterday and came out with 12.5miles and it took me 1:15 to do one lap. Total vertical gain was 1138ft. It's still a little muddy in places but we'll have to see what happens with the weather.
Nice map!

Will each lap do the out-and-back "leg" to the east/north-east? Or do riders head out, do laps around the volcanos, then roll back at/near 8 hours later?

99% sure the out-and-back will be part of each lap, and does give the chance to heckel folks going the oher way. :)

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
Looks like *this* saturday might have been a better date to ride... 46 and sunny with several days of drying out time. How're things looking there, Rich?

NEXT saturday (super long range forecast) looks a little cooler perhaps (42-44 high, sunny), but looks like wed/thur might have a decent chance of more moisture. Ah well, time will tell.

I also like the idea of hitting the out and back on each loop. Of course for the heckling, but also so you can have easy access to the parking lot to catch a beer between loops. Bwahaha yeah right.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
glenzx said:
Nice map!

Will each lap do the out-and-back "leg" to the east/north-east? Or do riders head out, do laps around the volcanos, then roll back at/near 8 hours later?

99% sure the out-and-back will be part of each lap, and does give the chance to heckel folks going the oher way. :)
Yep, the out and back leg will be part of each lap. That way you can refill with food and water (and talk smack). I was also thinking of having a sign-in sheet so after each lap you would sign your name and time. The person with the most signatures wins and a tie goes to the time stamp.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
makachut said:
Do those who are riding singlespeed have to drink a beer between laps?
Well officially, no alcohol is permitted at the air park or on OpenSpace land:rolleyes: . As for me, I might have one after the race:thumbsup: .

Trail report: Still muddy in spots but it's getting better. A few more nice days like today and it should be fine. The next trail update will be Thursday.

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
makachut said:
red5jedi ,do you need help setting up?
Will let Rich chime in, but perhaps the most help might be snow removal. It's not looking pleasant at all for the weather forecast. If ABQ westside happens to be spared from any of the forecasted storms over the next FOUR days, I will be there and can help in any way also. But, if things go like the TV says, I might be forced to suffer another day at home on the trainer. :madman:

·
Registered
699 Posts
Heck with the trainer....I'm throwin' the Rondenee gear in the truck and going skinning up the Weak Peak....anyone game??? That is if the race is called off.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
makachut said:
red5jedi ,do you need help setting up?
Thanks for the offer but no help needed, unless you can control the weather.

I'll be out there Thursday marking the trail if it looks like the weather is going to spare us. It doesn't look good though and I think if the volcanos gets anything, we might have to push it out a week or work out some other date.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.