Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I rode from 40th/Shea up and over Fat Man, up onto the N side of 1A and then up (south) VOAZ. Never done it before and it was a good time. At the top, I rode down the back side of 302, then looped it on back around to the parking lot.

There was a grip of hikers out there and a couple bikers too. When I got to the bottom of the 302, two bikers were stopped at the bottom looking up. I started to tell them to prepare for suffering, but figured it none of my business.

VOAZ is a fine climb to the south, totally doable, with some decent exposure to the left as you're going up.

Today, I climbed up Irregular Loop. All the way to the top of 302. Good grief, that's a climb. And there's some spots further up that are pretty sketchy with exposure.

At the top, I headed on down the backside of 302. Is this the cheesegrater? Whatever you call it, it is significantly more technical than anything I've personally had my tires on here in the Valley. None of the obstacles in and of themselves are too terrible. However, the whole trail has a layer of loose rock so it's impossible to hold a line. And, oh, it's STEEP. Crazy stuff.

I rode back up onto the backside of VOAZ and down VOAZ back onto 1A. Very good times out at the PMP.
d

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Diggin it Blatant. . . I've also just discovered VOAZ, Irregular, and all the other goodies linked in there. . . I think I've finally pieced together the perfect ride out there after trying to do so for a few months.

Did you make it down all of 302? There is still only one section in T100 I feel is harder, but it's not labeled on Dale's map. . . I've brought it up once before. . . If your looking north from VOAZ, 1A or moreover where they intersect Fat Man's is I think to your left, and there's this nasty little trail to the right of it that switches back 3 or 4 times then opens up and shoots straight down the face. . . familiar?

What bike are you on, I'll have to keep my eyes out next time.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
I know the trail that you are talking about. It used to be a faint trail for years, but over the last few years the hikers have beaten it down a lot. I have not tried to ride it yet. It's a HAB to get to the top either way. Coming from the north side there is the Three Tier ***** climb to get to the top of Surprise Hill (fun mach descent) there you can ride up a little more and then HAB the rest to the top. Dropping down the south side on the trail you described would be interesting at the very least. Let us know how it goes :D

Truckee Trash said:
Diggin it Blatant. . . I've also just discovered VOAZ, Irregular, and all the other goodies linked in there. . . I think I've finally pieced together the perfect ride out there after trying to do so for a few months.

Did you make it down all of 302? There is still only one section in T100 I feel is harder, but it's not labeled on Dale's map. . . I've brought it up once before. . . If your looking north from VOAZ, 1A or moreover where they intersect Fat Man's is I think to your left, and there's this nasty little trail to the right of it that switches back 3 or 4 times then opens up and shoots straight down the face. . . familiar?

What bike are you on, I'll have to keep my eyes out next time.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Epicrider said:
I know the trail that you are talking about. It used to be a faint trail for years, but over the last few years the hikers have beaten it down a lot. I have not tried to ride it yet. It's a HAB to get to the top either way. Coming from the north side there is the Three Tier ***** climb to get to the top of Surprise Hill (fun mach descent) there you can ride up a little more and then HAB the rest to the top. Dropping down the south side on the trail you described would be interesting at the very least. Let us know how it goes :D

I've done it, it's a nasty sum***** . . . I wasn't planning on it so I was not fully prepared. Next time I'd throw the armour but don't think there's much of a need for a full face

I just got back from hiking it (a failed MTB ride aka broken seat) to check out the line down. . . First time I did it I cleaned it all minus one of the switchback drops up top. The HAB up from the other side is pretty steep and loose, if you chose to go down that way you could really let it open as it's pretty much straight down, but the south facing side which we are both referring to is much more fun.

·
Black and Sticky
767 Posts
Blatant said:
Yesterday I rode from 40th/Shea up and over Fat Man, up onto the N side of 1A and then up (south) VOAZ. Never done it before and it was a good time. At the top, I rode down the back side of 302, then looped it on back around to the parking lot.

There was a grip of hikers out there and a couple bikers too. When I got to the bottom of the 302, two bikers were stopped at the bottom looking up. I started to tell them to prepare for suffering, but figured it none of my business.

VOAZ is a fine climb to the south, totally doable, with some decent exposure to the left as you're going up.

Today, I climbed up Irregular Loop. All the way to the top of 302. Good grief, that's a climb. And there's some spots further up that are pretty sketchy with exposure.

At the top, I headed on down the backside of 302. Is this the cheesegrater? Whatever you call it, it is significantly more technical than anything I've personally had my tires on here in the Valley. None of the obstacles in and of themselves are too terrible. However, the whole trail has a layer of loose rock so it's impossible to hold a line. And, oh, it's STEEP. Crazy stuff.

I rode back up onto the backside of VOAZ and down VOAZ back onto 1A. Very good times out at the PMP.
d
That back side of 302 is (I think) cheesegrater. About 2/3 or more of the way down and to the east is a flat area with a bench if I remember correctly. Some years ago I was on that section a lot running but never on a bike. In fact, back then I never once saw a bike on that stretch of 302. It is way too steep and loose for my bike skills and probably now too steep for my running skills too!

Busy job and travel stuff had kept me off MTB for a couple months until Kaboose talked me into a PMP ride last Saturday. Indeed, very good times out at the PMP.

Bob

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
That's become my favorite loop as well. I usually start from the 40th St lot and head over toward the AW house then back toward Dreamy Draw to pick up Irregular/302/Cheesegrater. Makes for a cool couple of hours without driving far.

·
No Clue Crew
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TT: The lower portions of 302 (down from where VOAZ links off) aren't too terribly hard and I can clean that. The upper 302/cheesegrater, where it initially drops from the summit is just nasty. I rode maybe 50% of it.

I think I know the section you're talking about. From 1A/VOAZ looking north and slightly east, it's just easy of Fat Man? The south side looks crazy steep. There's some cool little techy/rockcrawly stuff on the north side of that formation.

I've mostly been riding my Astrix Monk 29er. Drive a dark red Tacoma.
d

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
This is MY understanding of where the 'Cheesegrater' is located...

...let me know if I'm wrong...

·
No Clue Crew
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm. Dunno. I think you're close, but it's my impression that cheesegrater is further up the 302 and that vid appears to be more toward the bottom where it reconnects with 8 and 1A. Of course, I could be totally offbase.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Blatant said:
Hmmm. Dunno. I think you're close, but it's my impression that cheesegrater is further up the 302 and that vid appears to be more toward the bottom where it reconnects with 8 and 1A. Of course, I could be totally offbase.
I've only ridden it twice, but that looks like what I remember. Like the backside of Pass Mtn on steroids.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
The Cheese Grater section is on 302 and starts where VOAZ tees into 302 and heads east down hill. The section of 302 from VOAZ to the top of the pass is a lot of HAB. From the top all the way down heading mostly west is the Hairball drop.

Pic of Cheese Grater:

Bituman said:
That back side of 302 is (I think) cheesegrater. About 2/3 or more of the way down and to the east is a flat area with a bench if I remember correctly. Some years ago I was on that section a lot running but never on a bike. In fact, back then I never once saw a bike on that stretch of 302. It is way too steep and loose for my bike skills and probably now too steep for my running skills too!

Busy job and travel stuff had kept me off MTB for a couple months until Kaboose talked me into a PMP ride last Saturday. Indeed, very good times out at the PMP.

Bob

Attachments

·
No Clue Crew
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There you go, then. Cheesegrater is the section of 302 from the VOAZ link on down. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Black and Sticky
767 Posts
Epicrider said:
The Cheese Grater section is on 302 and starts where VOAZ tees into 302 and heads east down hill. The section of 302 from VOAZ to the top of the pass is a lot of HAB. From the top all the way down heading mostly west is the Hairball drop.

Pic of Cheese Grater:

Yep, your description nails it exactly. And your picture shows it very well too. From the saddle back to the west (i.e., away from Cheese Grater) toward the neighborhood is a little more bike friendly although steep in some areas but not as much loose and rocky stuff if I remember correctly. VOAZ goes northerly back to 1A and then T100. One time on the lower section of 302 that parallels the neighborhood on the west side of the saddle, I crested a small rise and had the crap scared out of me by a poodle. We just kinda ran up on each other from opposite directions and I think I scared the crap out of him pretty bad too. Don't want to start an off leash thread, but that is my weirdest memory of that part of PMP. PMP remains one of my fav places on the planet.

Bob

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Epicrider said:

Pic of Cheese Grater:
Dale - I ride that section of 1A/302 all the time (from the VOAZ junction on down). I always thought the entire hill was called "Cheesegrater", not just the lower section.

Anyway, I've never ridden anything above that junction. You mention it's a HAB. Have you ever tried riding down that upper part? It looks really f*cking nasty. I've always thought about trying it...hike up the hill from the VOAZ junction to the saddle and then ride all the way back down...but then after looking at it for 5 minutes I chicken out and turn around and ride the lower half as usual.

Thx...Doug

·
Glutton for punishment
581 Posts
Irregular?

Dale, Someone? Help me out with what you're calling Irregular? Just curious.

Sunday afternoon - Brianc and I rode up from my house (27th & Indian School) along the canal to 20th and Orangewood to 1a along the freeway then up the Mine trail over and along all the foothill trails and switchback sections on the W side of the ridge there, dropped down to Zipper off the last climb over the ridge, and out to 40th, around and up 8a (the shallower climb) crossed the wash (u-turn climb out) and wandered West-ish up to 1a, up Red Hill, up what I think it VOAZ, down Cheesgrater, then followed 302 South down the nice techy descent into the Squaw Peak area and followed 302 all the way to the bottom of the Summit Trail (and the no bikes sign). Then cruised down 24th St to my house. Nice ride.

I'm just wondering what the trail you're calling Irregular is...

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
dgangi said:
Dale - I ride that section of 1A/302 all the time (from the VOAZ junction on down). I always thought the entire hill was called "Cheesegrater", not just the lower section.

Anyway, I've never ridden anything above that junction. You mention it's a HAB. Have you ever tried riding down that upper part? It looks really f*cking nasty. I've always thought about trying it...hike up the hill from the VOAZ junction to the saddle and then ride all the way back down...but then after looking at it for 5 minutes I chicken out and turn around and ride the lower half as usual.

Thx...Doug
Ok now I'm confused, but heck everything out there gets a bit confusing. Ever have anyone ask you for directions and you can sit there and chuckle as they try to describe where they've come from and where they want to end up.

If you take Irregular from the northern 1A intersection and go up , up , up, is that the upper junction your talking about?

That upper section if I'm correct from the one time I've hiked it is a bunch of deep rocky rutted switch backs and just plain old gnar right? I think we need to organize a "definitive hairball/ cheesegrater / 302 / whatever else it may be called ride sometime soon.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
ScottN said:
Dale, Someone? Help me out with what you're calling Irregular? Just curious.

Sunday afternoon - Brianc and I rode up from my house (27th & Indian School) along the canal to 20th and Orangewood to 1a along the freeway then up the Mine trail over and along all the foothill trails and switchback sections on the W side of the ridge there, dropped down to Zipper off the last climb over the ridge, and out to 40th, around and up 8a (the shallower climb) crossed the wash (u-turn climb out) and wandered West-ish up to 1a, up Red Hill, up what I think it VOAZ, down Cheesgrater, then followed 302 South down the nice techy descent into the Squaw Peak area and followed 302 all the way to the bottom of the Summit Trail (and the no bikes sign). Then cruised down 24th St to my house. Nice ride.

I'm just wondering what the trail you're calling Irregular is...
On 1A if you've gone up what I think your referring to as Red Hill (short steep and loose ?) if you follow it west towards the DD saddle (on 1A), just after the bench / dedication area you'll see the Irregular Link Trail that goes up. . .

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
Truckee Trash said:
That upper section if I'm correct from the one time I've hiked it is a bunch of deep rocky rutted switch backs and just plain old gnar right? I think we need to organize a "definitive hairball/ cheesegrater / 302 / whatever else it may be called ride sometime soon.
Well, since I'm still an 'HBV - Hair Ball Virgin', I'd be up for that ride...

·
No Clue Crew
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doug: I did attempt to ride that upper portion of 302 from the very top down to the VOAZ link on Wednesday.

I would consider my technical skill to be moderate and it was WAY too much for me. I rode maybe 50% of it. Whereas what Dale says is the actual "cheesegrater" obstacle (from VOAZ on down) is pretty rideable. The upper section is crazy loose and unbelievably steep.

Scott: If you know where VOAZ connects to 1A on the north side, Irregular is a bit west along 1A. Can't miss the sign.

TT: I remember you saying you rode that section of Irregular off to the west before the big climb starts. If you take that section, instead of heading down where it connects to 100, look left up that climb through the saddle. If you take that you end up in a whole new area in the valley that's north of Squaw Peak proper.
d

·
No Clue Crew
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Scott: You guys rode the 302 down the backside where it connects to all the parking on Squaw Peak Parkway hiking areas? Down that techy descent with all the ledges? Good for you, man. I cleaned about 90% of it last time I rode there, but only ever see hikers on it. Only problem is once you're down, there's no good way out other than road riding.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts