Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all,hi!

I have found a really good deal on a vivid 5.1,and i want to put it on a 04' kona coiler.
My frame has a stock 200mm ete shock,and the vivid is 216mm ete.
Will this work?
How would it affect my geometry?

Thanks in advance,and cheers from lovely Croatia!

Matko

p.s.:ASAP! please

·
Registered
385 Posts
I agree, won't work properly. You might get enough throw out of the Coiler's rocker link, but it will affect your geometry. The wheel travel to shock travel is 1:3 with these bikes, so that 16mm at the shock could jack up the back end by around 50mm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok,theres no chance to put a 216 shock in my frame...BUT!

Is it possible to driil ot another pair of holes beneath my stock holes?
there is plenty of room,and i think it is possible...

What do you think?

edit: The stroke is 68.5,and i read that it will be no problem with the rocker hitting the seatpost...

sorry for my bad english!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
another best guess...

you will affect the leverage ratio, that is, the rocker will have different pressure levels from the shock and bike design if you do that. It's rather like a teeter totter: if you move a bit forward on your end, it's harder to rock/lift the person on the other end. In bike terms, more stress on the frame and shock.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But i ain't no Steve peat.
i'm 14. y/o,and have 55 kilograms of weight.

and please,can you explain to me what is a teeter totter?
you think it will make the shock work lousier,or worse?
Thanks!

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
teeter totter is

this:

The point was to demonstrate leverage, if you move the leverage point (which you will, with a shock stroke too long), then the stress levels to move the opposing force change and get harder or sometimes easier, but the result is stress on parts not designed for the new setup.

Regardless, FS bikes like yours are designed with specific shocks in mind; to change it invites less performance, and to change to one that doesn't fit invites bad handling and perhaps break or damage parts of the bike at pivot points or bushing/axle points. The Vivid is not a deal if it doesn't fit and changes the performance of the rear handling significantly.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.