Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Team Sanchez
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I slapped it on today. It'll be a week or so before I can post ride impressions. This is the R2C version. Knobs are easy to get to. Aesthetically, I prefer the look of the Fox rear shocks. The can on this thing is so huge, they should have called it the Kardashian air. :D
The buys at Push recommended the Low tune option, so that is what I went for. At 225lbs, it took 260 psi to get it at 30% sag. Just like RS Forks, the shocks comes with a sag o meter with makes things easy to set up. Replacing the RP23 with this shock puts her at 30.02 lbs.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
I'm also wondering why a low tune was suggested as I'm planning on ordering a mid tune tomorrow...

This is taken from the go-ride website on the Vivid Air:

Mid tune = For bikes with 2.3-2.8 : 1 Leverage Ratio
To calculate leverage ratio, divide the amount of travel the bike gets, by the amount of stroke the shock gets. For example - your bike gets 6.0 inches of travel, and uses a 2.25 inch stroke shock - 6.0/2.25 = 2.667 - The Mid Tune shock is what you need!

So I figure 6.3/2.5 = 2.52
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Does it have beginning and ending rebound adjustment or ? I think that'll be real nice on the VPP2.

It better work good because it's FUGLY and the RP23 and DHX air work pretty darn good on the VPP2 'mad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
gticlay said:
Does it have beginning and ending rebound adjustment or ? I think that'll be real nice on the VPP2.

It better work good because it's FUGLY and the RP23 and DHX air work pretty darn good on the VPP2 'mad.
OP stated it was an R2C so that means beginning and ending rebound adjustment.

Vivid Air definately looks different and is something new. Not sure about fugly but to each their own just as you think the RP23 works pretty darn good I think it's kinda harsh and am not stoked on it but I know others like it alot. I've tried different pressure settings and can't get it dialed in the way I want...at the correct sag level, I don't use up all the travel and it feels harsh and deflects but pedals nice...to make it feel plush, I needed to lower the pressure but sag level was too high and it would blow through the travel on bigger hits and not pedal as well.

I agree that the dual rebound circuit should be pretty sweet. The team issue Vivid coil would probably be a safe bet but my local suspension tuner here in Socal has had the Vivid Air on a few bikes with excellent results, so I'm willing to try it. I'll also let you guys know my thoughts on it after I get mine and get a few rides in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
bajaracer1501 said:
OP stated it was an R2C so that means beginning and ending rebound adjustment.

Vivid Air definately looks different and is something new. Not sure about fugly but to each their own just as you think the RP23 works pretty darn good I think it's kinda harsh and am not stoked on it but I know others like it alot. I've tried different pressure settings and can't get it dialed in the way I want...at the correct sag level, I don't use up all the travel and it feels harsh and deflects but pedals nice...to make it feel plush, I needed to lower the pressure but sag level was too high and it would blow through the travel on bigger hits and not pedal as well.

I agree that the dual rebound circuit should be pretty sweet. The team issue Vivid coil would probably be a safe bet but my local suspension tuner here in Socal has had the Vivid Air on a few bikes with excellent results, so I'm willing to try it. I'll also let you guys know my thoughts on it after I get mine and get a few rides in.
I think what you describe is just how the bike rides. I've tried a bunch of different shocks on it and barring a new link like the Push link, it's just a little harsh riding design. But that's my opinion. Can't wait to hear how you like it with Vivid Air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I have to agree with gticlay, Nomads aren't a soft and squishy ride (arm chair). The suspension is designed to peddle well and this means transmitting power well... I tried quite a few different settings (RP23) and found the same things described above:

"..at the correct sag level, I don't use up all the travel and it feels harsh and deflects but pedals nice...to make it feel plush, I needed to lower the pressure but sag level was too high and it would blow through the travel on bigger hits and not pedal as well."

I hope I'm wrong as the Nomad I rode felt great on steeper high speed stuff, very stable and controllable...

I'll be very interested to hear if the Vivid Air solves this "problem".
 

·
the refurbished one
Joined
·
723 Posts
bajaracer1501 said:
I'm also wondering why a low tune was suggested as I'm planning on ordering a mid tune tomorrow...

This is taken from the go-ride website on the Vivid Air:

Mid tune = For bikes with 2.3-2.8 : 1 Leverage Ratio
To calculate leverage ratio, divide the amount of travel the bike gets, by the amount of stroke the shock gets. For example - your bike gets 6.0 inches of travel, and uses a 2.25 inch stroke shock - 6.0/2.25 = 2.667 - The Mid Tune shock is what you need!

So I figure 6.3/2.5 = 2.52
darren from PUSH recommended the low tune for the RT3 too.
i think these guys know what they are sying! ;)

ended up with the evolver isx 6.
excellent shock, very tuneable and the nomad rides like night and day in compar. to the fox dhx air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
hball said:
darren from PUSH recommended the low tune for the RT3 too.
i think these guys know what they are sying! ;)
It would be interesting to know if that recommended tune is specific for this frame, or something due to the shock.

Considering the leverage ratio, and El C's weight it does seem kinda odd.
How did they decide for low compression and medium rebound? Is this shock stock, or did Push change it?

I'm considering this shock (for another frame) and would like to make an informed decision regarding the tune options.
 

·
Team Sanchez
Joined
·
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Baja, I came to the same conclusion as you regarding which tune I needed based on average leverage ratio. That is why I called Push. Hopfully Darren will get on here and elaborate. I'll shoot him a PM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
El Chingon said:
Hey Baja, I came to the same conclusion as you regarding which tune I needed based on average leverage ratio. That is why I called Push. Hopfully Darren will get on here and elaborate. I'll shoot him a PM.
Right on, looking forward to hearing what they say, I'm sure they know what they're doing.

AntonMBR - good call on the arm chair comment, LOL...at the end of the day the Nomad is a rad bike and I'm all smiles...just want to improve it a tad but maybe I'm just making an excuse to buy something new for my bike!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, I think Push messed up. You should have gone with the Mid tune.
I'm going with PUSH on this one because they've had a Nomad-C equipped with a Vivid air longer than anyone and work with shocks and linkages everyday. :thumbsup: :D

Kidding aside, I often see people using this formula of dividing wheel travel by shock stroke to get a leverage number. This number means nothing as it doesn't describe the suspensions characteristic and what forces are being applied to the shock.

Case in point, below is an actual leverage rate file comparison from two competing bikes that were physically measured here using our leverage rate analysis equipment. I've purposely blurred out which frames they are, and don't want to divulge that information. As you'll see, the initial characteristic as well as the middle of the travel are very similar, whereas the ending third of the travel is very different. Using the wheel travel divided by shock stroke both of the bikes are identical at 2.74:1. I can assure you that the shock tune on these bikes are radically different.

Darren
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Those graphs are great, but where does that leave an average rider like me (150# agressive rider)?
I have a 2010 Giant Reign X and would like to try a Vivid Air Shock.
Not to take anything away from PUSH (I think what you do is great) but do you have any simple pointers on how to pick a shock tune?
ie: am I going to be way off if I use the calculation above?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
deoreo said:
Those graphs are great, but where does that leave an average rider like me (150# agressive rider)?
I have a 2010 Giant Reign X and would like to try a Vivid Air Shock.
Not to take anything away from PUSH (I think what you do is great) but do you have any simple pointers on how to pick a shock tune?
ie: am I going to be way off if I use the calculation above?
I think the simple answer is: You either use the Rock Shox method to pick it, which is the simple leverage ratio calculation and buy a bone stock shock OR, you pay a very small fee (what is it - $260?) for the sort of analysis and a custom shock tune that is backed up with personal support from the people that did the tune (see graphs above). $260 really isn't much for what you get outta the deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
AntonMBR - good call on the arm chair comment said:
:thumbsup: I understand fully. Me buying a Nomad in the first place is, if I'm honest with myself, so that I can have something shiny.

I also agree that it would be great to be able to dial out the initial harshness and make a great bike fantastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
gticlay said:
I think the simple answer is...
I understand that, but to make this even more specific, I guess, I found a great deal on a Vivid Air (almost 50% off) in the size I need, with a high compression, medium rebound tune. According to the RockShox calculator, I believe that would work for me.

Should I get this shock, or am I wasting my time and money?
And don't get me wrong, I really like what PUSH offers, I'm on a DHX Air right now, and like the idea of being able to have the Vivid Air tuned by them specifically for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
deoreo said:
I understand that, but to make this even more specific, I guess, I found a great deal on a Vivid Air (almost 50% off) in the size I need, with a high compression, medium rebound tune. According to the RockShox calculator, I believe that would work for me.

Should I get this shock, or am I wasting my time and money?
And don't get me wrong, I really like what PUSH offers, I'm on a DHX Air right now, and like the idea of being able to have the Vivid Air tuned by them specifically for me.
I'm going to assume you are on a Nomad - it'll be horrible on that bike and you'll need a different tune. I'll buy it though :) I'd send it right in for the tune.
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top