Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for alternate 29+ tyre options and this is a fairly nice looking tyre, in between the faster, lower tread stuff and the big block, aggressive stuff, but wondering about Vittoria's claim of an ERTO of 79mm, that would be 4mm wider than a 3.0" DHF. Anyone have actual experience with this tyre to confirm or deny that ERTO measurement??

https://www.vittoria.com/us/cannoli-fat-plus.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't have experience with the Cannoli, but the Bomboloni has the same ERTO and that one measures closer 2.8" (~71mm). I could measure mine on a Scraper i40 after work tonight if you want some hard numbers.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and your feedback on the Bomboloni is why I was asking, because it matches to every other report of the size, so wondered if maybe this one was actually accurate or not. Would actually like something closer to 2.8" to be honest, but we'll see what happens and how little experiment with 2.6" works out.

I don't have experience with the Cannoli, but the Bomboloni has the same ERTO and that one measures closer 2.8" (~71mm). I could measure mine on a Scraper i40 after work tonight if you want some hard numbers.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Vittoria CANNOLI 29x3.0"

I have one leaning against my bench ready to go on after the current XR2 dies. It'll go on pretty soon I think. I'm excited to try it.

Edit: I've run literally 6 Bombolonis over the last 2 years. On an i43 rim they've all measured 2.9 or more at the usual 10-14 ride-ready psi.
Also, 3 of the 6 have had a casing wobble from day one that never got better. One was so bad it hit my fork leg and had to be warrantied. I'm honestly skeptical that this Cannoli will be straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
To add:
For anyone wondering, I bought one, and a buddy bought 2.

They weighed 1151, 1178 and 1202g.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Can any of you new Cannoli 29x3 owners provide some measurements?

I'm considering the Cannoli for a Timberjack. If its the same carcass as the 29x3 Bomboloni, it should work (I briefly ran Bomboloni's on my TJ and the clearance was adequate, but not great). But if it runs bigger, like a Chupacabra, then the clearance it too close for me.

FWIW, as others probably noticed, Jenson currently has the TNT 29x3 Cannoli's for $60.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Vittoria CANNOLI 29x3.0"

The Chupa is back off the bike for a 3rd patch due to a tread puncture yesterday on the Black Canyon Trail.
While the patch glue set, I threw on the Cannoli just to see what was up.
It was tough to wrestle over the rim bead, but was probably the easiest tire to seat I've ever had. Literally went onto a Nextie i43 carbon rim with some half-assed pumps from my floor pump. Like it was tubed. Insanity.

Measures 2.7 (68.5mm) at the sidewalls, and 2.81 (71.3mm) at the knobs at 17psi, minutes after install. Height is a weird thing to measure, I'm not good at that, but it's notably, visibly shorter than the Chupa that came off compared to the room from tire to bb shell, and is WAY shorter than the XR4 on the front.
I'll be surprised if this tire ever gets wider than 2.85-2.9, but that's not a bad thing in my opinion.
Weight is 1150g.
A pleasant departure from the many Bombolonis I've owned, this Cannoli looks to have no casing wobble.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for taking the time to mount that tyre up Impetus, actually looks pretty nice. Let us know how it rolls compared to the Chupa/XR2, know it should have a crap tonne more grip. What frame is that, looks maybe like a Unit?

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
I’ll definitely have a ride report once it’s mounted for good. There’s a little race in Prescott this weekend that I’m doing for fun, the trails are reasonably smooth and the Chupa would be a much better choice, so it’ll go back on for a while. I’ll be using the Cannoli soon I’m sure.

The bike is a Vassago Verhauen.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forgot to ask, but how does the casing feel compared to the XR2, sturdier, thinner...?

I'll definitely have a ride report once it's mounted for good. There's a little race in Prescott this weekend that I'm doing for fun, the trails are reasonably smooth and the Chupa would be a much better choice, so it'll go back on for a while. I'll be using the Cannoli soon I'm sure.

The bike is a Vassago Verhauen.

·
Live Free & Ride
1,578 Posts
Looking at this tire also, after I wear out the Bombi as a rear. The XR4 3.0 up front is just ridiculous...its a huge tire that you can push hard and it still rolls good! I like the TNT casing on these Vittoria tires, and they set up real easy tubeless.

Attachments

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Vittoria CANNOLI 29x3.0"

Got a bunch of miles on the Cannoli, have some initial thoughts:

First- I like this tire a lot.

It's not without some negatives, but the positives far far outweigh the negatives, IMO.

Getting the negatives out of the way:
It's heavy. 1150g heavy, measured on a good food scale.
It only measures 2.85 wide at 15psi on an i43 rim. Measured with digital calipers and a 30psi accu-gauge

The positives:
It rolls great.
It's got great traction.
It's sturdy, like supportive but not harsh. I'm running 12.5-13psi and getting none of the rim strikes I was getting at 14+ psi on the previous Chupacabra.
I've got 50+ miles, on singlespeed, in ugly harsh A-Z desert and so far shows zero wear.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for coming back to thread with the feedback Impetus, very much appreciated. Curious, while you state that width wise it's really a 2.8", by any chance does it somehow still retain a nice height closure to a 3.0" as compared to 2.8", i.e.e did it manage to row taller by any chance? That vertical volume to me is what really helps give you the cush and some tyres are just taller than others, even though they're narrower. How would you compare the actual ride quality/feel compared to the Chupa in terms of cush, lots different, a bit different or hardly noticeable?

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
It’s definitely a little shorter than a Chupa or Bomboloni, my usual riding partner has Cannolis mounted front and rear, there’s a few mm more space under his Fox34 lowers arch compared to the Bomboloni that came off. It’s taller than the Terrene McFly 2.8 that I had on my rear a while back. That tire felt like small volume, and floppy sidewalls. I did not like that tire.
Take that for what it’s worth. I don’t have exact measurements for height.

I fee like there’s a little less cush than the Chupa that just came off, but I don’t consider it significant, or undesirable. It doesn’t (to me) feel like a small volume tire; it feels like a stout carcass tire. Not unlike the XR4 on my front end. I actually thought the Chupa was too squishy. Maybe it was just an old tire with broken down sidewalls.

·
Big wheels keep on rollin
368 Posts
I've got a set for sale if anyone is interested. Mounted up tubeless, measured 73 mm on my WTB i40 rims. I did two rides and decided I wanted a smaller tire for the rear of my custom Meriwether. They roll fast and have big knobs so great in mud or sand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.