Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

521 - 525 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anyone compared a Martello F/R to an Agarro F/R set-up? For whatever reasons the Martello doesn't have it's own thread. I am curious if it's just not as well liked. It doesn't have the fancy ramping that the Mazza and Agarro do, but it at least basically meets it's stated width.
I can speak to the back-half: Switched rear tire from Agarro to Martello last season as CO trails get blown-out in the dry summer. Lots of deep loose-over-hard starts to pile up, and things get sketchy around here. I loved the Agarro for what it is... shockingly grippy for how fast it is. But, it couldn't hold it in the deeper stuff - nor on the really steep technical climbs.

Putting the Martello on the rear was a whole new level of traction (climbing/breaking) - but most interestingly, cornered much more solidly. It still has a 'predictable' breakaway... but it takes a lot more to break loose (vs the Agarro). Yes, Martello is definitely slower - but it's not a dealbreaker. I think I'd care more on long epics than most of my shorter trail rides, so might switch for that. Also, I'm planning a trip to Moab soon, and will likely switch to Agarro for the rear as it's awesome on rock.

SUNS_PSD says that the Martello is one of his fav front tires of all time (and he's done so many). As far as I can tell, he does a lot of rocky/dry and it's awesome there and on hardback up front. (Again, for the CO Front Range, I needed deeper traction in the loose, and put Mazza up front and have been very happy with it!).

Yeah - Martello really needs it's own thread!!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I have a Martello 29 x2.6 I've ridden exactly 1x that I'd sell stateside for $55 shipped.
They are very good tires that I've purchased many of, but I'm on to something else now.
Also have a new E-Agarro 39x 2.35 still in the packaging I'd sell. These 2 tires make a great package.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
I have a Martello 29 x2.6 I've ridden exactly 1x that I'd sell stateside for $55 shipped.
They are very good tires that I've purchased many of, but I'm on to something else now.
Also have a new E-Agarro 39x 2.35 still in the packaging I'd sell. These 2 tires make a great package.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
First, where do I get rims for the 39 tires?

Second, what have you moved on to? How are they? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Little update: I got a slice in my rear Agarro. Strange because it was on a non-rocky Local XC trail that I’ve ridden for years without even a puncture. The only thing I could find near by in the trail was a halved walnut. The edges were sharp but I wouldn’t have expected it to slice like this. I hope this is a fluke and these don’t prove to be fragile. I read mixed reviews regarding this. I have ridden them on much tougher, faster, rocky, rooty trails without incident so it really caught me by surprise.
It turned out to be a blessing in disguise however because it gave me a reason to try a Martello up front.
Despite the low rolling resistance offered by the Agarro, I have learned that I prefer more grip up front with my long front center slack bike. I moved the front Agarro to the rear and mounted a Martello Up front.
I only have about 30 miles on this setup but I can see why Suns enjoyed it so much. I don’t think I can detect the increase in rolling resistance on pedally trails. Maybe a bit in the corners but there I want grip, not efficiency.
Overall the level of grip vs RR is exceptional and the setup feels well balanced. I can push the rear Agarro to the its limit while the front feels more precise and stays planted. In short, it lets me ride the Agarro for all it’s worth. It has made this “fast rolling” setup much more fun for my aggressive riding style.
I’ll have to put more miles on it before a final verdict but it seems like a winning combo For its intended use so far.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Little update: I got a slice in my rear Agarro. Strange because it was on a non-rocky Local XC trail that I’ve ridden for years without even a puncture. The only thing I could find near by in the trail was a halved walnut. The edges were sharp but I wouldn’t have expected it to slice like this. I hope this is a fluke and these don’t prove to be fragile. I read mixed reviews regarding this. I have ridden them on much tougher, faster, rocky, rooty trails without incident so it really caught me by surprise.
It turned out to be a blessing in disguise however because it gave me a reason to try a Martello up front.
Despite the low rolling resistance offered by the Agarro, I have learned that I prefer more grip up front with my long front center slack bike. I moved the front Agarro to the rear and mounted a Martello Up front.
I only have about 30 miles on this setup but I can see why Suns enjoyed it so much. I don’t think I can detect the increase in rolling resistance on pedally trails. Maybe a bit in the corners but there I want grip, not efficiency.
Overall the level of grip vs RR is exceptional and the setup feels well balanced. I can push the rear Agarro to the its limit while the front feels more precise and stays planted. In short, it lets me ride the Agarro for all it’s worth. It has made this “fast rolling” setup much more fun for my aggressive riding style.
I’ll have to put more miles on it before a final verdict but it seems like a winning combo For its intended use so far.
I gave up on my Agarro for similar reasons of odd slicing (running in the rear). I experienced 3x these small slices that were pluggable. I'd never experienced this in 6 years on these trails in any other tire. I liked the tread, rolling resistance, grip, cornering in general.

521 - 525 of 525 Posts