Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

501 - 520 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any durability issues for others using the Agarro. I'm at 356 miles and it's time to put a new one on soon. Running it on a 140mm FS in rocky, dry terrain. Been riding more consistenly than I ever have, does that sound low or about average wear?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Rocky dry terrain is super hard on any tire casing. One weekend of riding in Moab did more damage to my Maxxis combo than the previous 4 months of riding.

·
g=9.764m/s2
730 Posts
I have a 15mo old 29x2.6 that was on Jeffsy rear for 9 mo, front of Stache and Izzo for 6mo and still goin strong in mid-Atlantic rock and root. That includes 2.4K miles for 2020...

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Rocky dry terrain is super hard on any tire casing. One weekend of riding in Moab did more damage to my Maxxis combo than the previous 4 months of riding.
Which version are you using, the Trail or the Enduro?
Mine was a catastrophic failure because I got a cut at the leading edge of a knob that would not take a bacon strip.
However, what I have noticed is that the outer most layer (believe the 4C combo) seems to wear quickly giving the tire a look that it is wearing faster than normal. For instance, the Martello Trail that is on my rear, the sipes are gone for the most part and the edges of the knobs are pretty torn but past that the tire is still in VERY good condition. No issues with holding air. Actually I was really surprised when I last gave the bike a good washing and was inspecting the tire for any issues I found that there are multiple pin holes and punctures that have been sealed and are still running strong. For my Northern NV high desert terrain it is definitely more beneficial to run the enduro casing but the trail seems to be doing fine for now.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
I’ve got several hundred miles on my 2.35 Trail version.

To me it’s like a burly version of a Maxxis Ardent Race.

it was heavy at 960g.

started with it on the rear of the SS here in So. Cal......but it was too heavy for big mileage/elevation days. Swapped it over to the rear of the Hightower and have been quite pleased with it. Has handled all the different kinds of terrain I’ve put it through.

then again, I’m not generally hard on tires. I’m quite comfortable on sketchy tires(Ikon, Rekon Race).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Oh this was with Maxxis tires 3C / DC. I don't have a bunch of time on the trail 4c vittoria tires. And sandy / dirt damp has been most of my riding lately. I am riding trail casing tires now (Agarro, Martello, Mazza)

I’ve got several hundred miles on my 2.35 Trail version.

To me it’s like a burly version of a Maxxis Ardent Race.

it was heavy at 960g.
The Agarro for me is a better version of a Maxxis Rekon. Overall more predictable (but heavier by 100+ grams) and decent level grip. Really happy with it as a "heavy" trail tire for longish mtb days with mixed surfaces.

·
Registered
18 Posts
*edit - just realized you were asking another poster

Trail. Other than wear, the tire has been great. I could probably ride it for another few rides but riding this morning I lost a bunch of air after a descent. Made it back to the car and when I got home and took it off I found a bunch of cactus spines in one area. I installed the new one I had, will see how many miles I get out of it. If this ends up being my new norm (riding more and moved from a much less rocky and dry region), I'll just have to stock up.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
*edit - just realized you were asking another poster

Trail. Other than wear, the tire has been great. I could probably ride it for another few rides but riding this morning I lost a bunch of air after a descent. Made it back to the car and when I got home and took it off I found a bunch of cactus spines in one area. I installed the new one I had, will see how many miles I get out of it. If this ends up being my new norm (riding more and moved from a much less rocky and dry region), I'll just have to stock up.
I have heard that the E (electric) version of the tire might have harder wearing rubber and might be better for rocky / dry. Unsure if there is a trade off in grip though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My 1st and 2nd 2.6 Ag's seem to be lasting longer than Minion SS's or Slaughter's, riding @ Santa Cruz, Tahoe and Sierra's, without any tire related issues. No reason for me change to something else unless I get a good deal (like 1/2 off) on the ones noted. Apparently there is an E Bike version that is tougher yet with same specs.
My rides include 20% road, with something like 50 miles/week...2-3 x tires a year I guess.

BTW - These tires are super tight bead fit on the carbon hoop that I have and found the only way remove them was to stomp on the bead with wheel sideways on the ground while resting on on a piece of wood. It sounds crazy, but nothing else would get the bead to pop over a groove that creates a small shelf towards the center of the rim. I tried many offbeat things like clamps, and whatever xyz tire like irons and more and no go. Up until this point, I nearly always could pop a tire bead off without any tools at all on many other rims and tire combos. This rim is new to me so could be rim or tire or combo, but it was surprisingly difficult. Would be curious to see if anybody else has experienced similar with Vittoria tires?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have heard that the E (electric) version of the tire might have harder wearing rubber and might be better for rocky / dry. Unsure if there is a trade off in grip though.
Perhaps an ebiker has some feedback. Otheriwse not sure I'd want to take the chance.

Would be curious to see if anybody else has experienced similar with Vittoria tires?
I didn't have that bad of an issue removing from a newer wheel build but it was pretty locked in and needed a couple levers to pop it off.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I'm an original fan of the Agarro and I did switch to the E version about six months ago. I think I'm on my third or fourth one. A typical rear tire I'll usually get about six or seven weeks out of before it really falls apart. The e-agarro I would say it's more like two and a half months The weight is the same, the traction is slightly less but I only notice it on awkward climbs and even then it's slight, the wear is a bit better, and it definitely rolls better.
To me it was the right trade-off.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Finally got a couple of Agarros to try. 2.6 on i35 rims front and rear. I have only one ride on some xc trails with them so I'll reserve myself a bit, but I really like them so far. They seem to be everything they're billed. One notable is they had a surprising amount of grip and predictability on brown ice (leaves). I didn't expect much from them on the leaves but they seemed to punch through enough to at least be predictable. On the dirt, they grip really well, though I'll hold back on a full verdict until I get more time on them in varying conditions.
I got these to try as a Rekon replacement because I wanted more grip especially up front. Something fast rolling but still able to keep the front locked in when pushed a little. So far, I think they're doing just that.
The profile seems about perfect and I think these would be great on an i30 as well.
So far I'm impressed with Vittoria and my enthusiasm is running high. I'm inclined to try a Mazza up front with the Agarro rear for situations where I need a little more. Also double Mazzas or Mazza/Martello to replace my Minion set when I wear them out.

For fellow tire nerds, some data and photos to show profile on i35 compared to a Rekon 2.6 on i35:
Strangely they're slightly more rounded than the wider Rekon.

My notes:
Measurements are averaged off several taken at different points around the tire, rounded to nearest .005".
Lug measurements are at widest point of outer most lugs.

Vittoria Agarro 27.5x2.6 TNT
i35 rim
New:
907.8g and 906.2g
28.0” diameter
2.505” lugs 30psi
2.48” casing 30psi

After 48 hrs:
2.565” lugs 23psi
2.545” casing 23psi
2.545” lugs 18.5psi
2.525” casing 18.5psi

After 1 week and first ride:
2.54” lugs 17.5psi
2.525” casing 17.5psi
2.57” lugs 22.5psi
2.555” casing 22.5psi

·
Registered
4 Posts
I posted here a few months ago about whether to get Agarro's for some lighter hill terrain.
After receiving loads of great advise from the community I thought I'd return the favour and share some of my thoughts about the Agarro's.

Right off the bat I'll say that I love them.
I run 2.35's front and rear on 27mm rims on my 5010 V3.
They're immensely progressive in grip and really predictable, setting you up for phenomenal fast and tight cornering. There's no dead spot (like I sometimes feel there is on the Minion) and the tires just grip all the way through a corner, only breaking traction predictively and when you want them to. Before the Agarro, I had Minions on this bike, which did just fine on the burlier alpine terrain but were sometimes a bit awkward in how they gripped. They were a bit lacking in the center, only to ramp up very quickly on the side tread. This sometimes caused me to lose some confidence in the corners, and I had a hard time adjusting to it over the course of several months. The Agarro's are more suitable for the terrain I currently ride in anyways, but I also feel like the predictability area is very well covered by the Vittoria's. This really lets you play around with the bike and instills huge amounts of confidence. I've ridden these things from dry sand to snow and all the dirt in between. I can honestly say that, from the big brands I've ridden, I like these the most. I feel like they excelled in drying dirt (not really moist but not bone-dry either), but even in muddier terrain and dryer bits of the trails they did very well. Since I also like technical climbing, a few words should be added about its uphill capabilities. They're great. As a matter of fact, I have now dubbed my bike; 'the mountain-goat', something I never would have expected coming from more downcountry-style riding. Of course, line-choice is crucial in this matter but I felt they handled themselves well on slippery roots and mixed surfaces. I feel like they're pretty fast too, considering they're not exactly hard-core XC tires.
Speaking of XC tires, There are some downsides as well.
Although I'm not a real stickler for weight (so I personally don't really care about the 100 grams of additional weight over comparable Schwalbe or Maxxis tires) I can see that this may be an area that bothers some people. More importantly though, I can imagine that when I take this bike back out into the Alps or Finale Ligure, the Agarro up front may not be up to the task under hard braking on the roughest enduro trails. I haven't ridden these tires in truly rocky terrain though, so it's hard to make a judgment about that.
However, I think they can handle anything but the roughest trails. Even the steeper hills in southern Germany should be doable, though a Martello or a 2.6'' in the front might be a safer choice.
Finally, I must say that I am someone who prefers being slightly underbiked to overbiked, so I may feel more comfortable on lighter duty tires than the average rider, and I seem to have the weird preference for more twitchy/agile bikes over big, burly, long and slack setups.

So that's my two cents on the Agarro's. All in all I think they're great trail tires and especially their tight-cornering capabilities and predictability are features to love. They transformed my bike, that's for sure, and have me smiling ear to ear on every descent, and every climb, which is exactly what a trail tire should be doing.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Anyone compared a Martello F/R to an Agarro F/R set-up? For whatever reasons the Martello doesn't have it's own thread. I am curious if it's just not as well liked. It doesn't have the fancy ramping that the Mazza and Agarro do, but it at least basically meets it's stated width.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,840 Posts
Anyone compared a Martello F/R to an Agarro F/R set-up? For whatever reasons the Martello doesn't have it's own thread. I am curious if it's just not as well liked. It doesn't have the fancy ramping that the Mazza and Agarro do, but it at least basically meets it's stated width.
I’m running the Martello/Agarro combo on my hardtail. I like it pretty well as a front tire. It rolls pretty alright, and seems to grip the dry desert terrain well. It’s wearing nicely.
It’s no Assegai, but it’s a good ‘trail’ tire, IMO.

501 - 520 of 525 Posts