Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Interesting, looks like a lot of the newer tires, ei assguy-eliminator. Provided the side knobs aren't super spongy like the martello it should be a great tire.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,843 Posts
It’s a Vittoria.

It’ll weigh 10-15% more than it should, it’ll have a wicked casing wobble and it’ll last about 200miles before it’s chunked and worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
g=9.764m/s2
730 Posts
Damn that’s a harsh review...I’ve run Vittoria exclusively on my HT for 3yrs without issue...d;o)

MegaStoke, that’s not showing on Vittoria.com so where’d you see that info?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn that’s a harsh review...I’ve run Vittoria exclusively on my HT for 3yrs without issue...d;o)

In the 2020 dealer catalog. They're supposed shipping this fall, so I'd expect them to publicly launch soon.

And yeah, I've never even seen any of the above issues with Vittoria tires, and I see a lot of them come through my shop. The Mezcal is our top selling tire, and deservedly so.

·
Registered
762 Posts

+1 Love my Vittoria's , Fast Durable and even as a weight weenies I can live with the Weight

All XCR Race Casing 29 x 2,25 Mezcal 674 g, Terreno 648g, Barzo 684g

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
It’s a Vittoria.

It’ll weigh 10-15% more than it should, it’ll have a wicked casing wobble and it’ll last about 200miles before it’s chunked and worn out.
So you tried one tire and weren't happy.

I've used mostly Geax/Vittoria for the last 5 years, mainly for their durability and ride quality.

This tire was expected. But it's still not the chunky front tire they need. I'll continue to run Bontrager and Maxxis on the front for trail.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,843 Posts
So you tried one tire and weren't happy.

I've used mostly Geax/Vittoria for the last 5 years, mainly for their durability and ride quality.

This tire was expected. But it's still not the chunky front tire they need. I'll continue to run Bontrager and Maxxis on the front for trail.
No, actually. I’ve tried several.
5-ish years ago on my “regular 29er” I tried 2 Barzo’s, a Mezcal, a Saguaro and 2 Gomas. The Barzo and Mezcal wore out in weeks. The saguaro tore on like the 3rd ride.
The Gomas were puncture resistant , but I hated the way they rode and both had a casing wobble. I seem to recall them being crazy heavy too. Like 900g for a 2.35?
I laced up plus wheels and rode those for several years. I tried 4 Bombolonis, and a Cannoli in between various Maxxis and Bontrager tires.
2 of the 4 Bombos had casing wobbles so bad I warrantied them. Not one of them was true like the Chronicle, or any Bontrager tire (Chupa/XR4)
They also ranged in weight from 900g to 1050g. I weighed them, like every tire I buy, on a 1g digital scale.
The Cannoli i still have actually. It’s is fairly true, but is 100 miles old and the edges are feathering. It’s also only 2.85 wide and weighs 1200g vs the claimed weight of 1050. My most frequent riding partner bought 2 of them and one wobbles, on is true. They weigh 1125 and 1200g each.
I have 2 friends that ride the 2.6 Mezcal and Barzo and I tell you truthfully- one of the 2 has a flat about every other ride where we stand and watch them shove bacon or a tube in. I think he’s on his 3rd tire in this year. He calls them his ‘race wheels’ because they aren’t durable for everyday riding.

But keep jumping to conclusions anyway. It’s entertaining.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I have Barzos in 2.25, 2.35, and 2.6, all 4c G+. I notice that you don't list the models of these tires. The G+ ones wear like iron and you'll see other people post the same. I destroy Maxxis and Bontrager SE tires so it's not like I ride like a granny.

The Goma 2.35 doesn't exist. There is a 2.25 and a 2.4. The 2.4 is heavy because it's close to a 2.6; it's also extremely durable and the TNT has a good ride quality.

I can't speak to the plus tires.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I do think Vittoria wins the award for slowest tire release. This tire was spotted in the fall of LAST year.

Meanwhile Maxxis - Here is the Dissector, and you can buy it now in like six versions.

·
Registered
762 Posts
No, actually. I’ve tried several.
5-ish years ago on my “regular 29er” I tried 2 Barzo’s, a Mezcal, a Saguaro and 2 Gomas. The Barzo and Mezcal wore out in weeks. The saguaro tore on like the 3rd ride.
The Gomas were puncture resistant , but I hated the way they rode and both had a casing wobble. I seem to recall them being crazy heavy too. Like 900g for a 2.35?
I laced up plus wheels and rode those for several years. I tried 4 Bombolonis, and a Cannoli in between various Maxxis and Bontrager tires.
2 of the 4 Bombos had casing wobbles so bad I warrantied them. Not one of them was true like the Chronicle, or any Bontrager tire (Chupa/XR4)
They also ranged in weight from 900g to 1050g. I weighed them, like every tire I buy, on a 1g digital scale.
The Cannoli i still have actually. It’s is fairly true, but is 100 miles old and the edges are feathering. It’s also only 2.85 wide and weighs 1200g vs the claimed weight of 1050. My most frequent riding partner bought 2 of them and one wobbles, on is true. They weigh 1125 and 1200g each.
I have 2 friends that ride the 2.6 Mezcal and Barzo and I tell you truthfully- one of the 2 has a flat about every other ride where we stand and watch them shove bacon or a tube in. I think he’s on his 3rd tire in this year. He calls them his ‘race wheels’ because they aren’t durable for everyday riding.

But keep jumping to conclusions anyway. It’s entertaining.

Have you use any tires in the last 2 years ? since they opened there new plant with the 4 compound process ?

Funny most of the pro peloton rides Vittoria Corsa Tires, so they must make a quality tire.

Also could you explain how if is physically possible from an engineering stand point to wear out a tire in 2 to 3 rides ? What maybe 60 miles ? Abso lutly impossiable.

There is not that much difference in the manufacturing of Vittoria vs Maxxis vs Schwalbe.

Could you explain where and what type of riding you are doing , opposed to a general statement " Barzo and Mezcal wore out in 2 weeks ?

I Have a New 4 C Mezcal that I have used on both front and rear with ~ 150 miles on it and it still has a few production vent port nubs on it ?

Years ago I had 2 Schwalbe tire that blow off on a Tubeless setup a Rear Stan's rims ( Furious Fred and Rocket Ron) I stayed away from them for years as Schwalbe would not warranty them as they said it was the tubeless mounting process, in retrospect it was my fault as I did have difficult time getting them to seat and stretched the bead.

So in my case it was user error

Now I run Snakeskin Rocket Ron and Thunder Burt with no issue.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
The casing and side lugs rubber used on the morsa is the best out there imo. Tuff, great dampening, doesn't begin to weep sealant after 3 weeks, rolls great and the side lugs take for ever to undercut while hooking up great. I know of no other tire I can say that about, definitely not maxxis. SE casing is also fantastic but everything else about their tires is mid pack at best.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,533 Posts
Interesting review Impetus...
I am quite the opposite. Worn out everything BUT my Vittorias. Actually I have a Goma TNT 2.4 on front of my new trail bike that is 3 seasons old (at least). Reason it was put on there is because the DHF that came on the bike when I got it in April was not holding air (had to run a tube) and wobbling within a month of riding. Goma still looks good after two bikes and probably close to 2k miles on it (front tire primarily).

Other Goma on my commuter bike was a different back up that still says GEAX on it, yeah still running and been on that hardtail the entire time. Old Trail bike is running Goma/Barzo combo currently in Colorado under my BIL, Goma TNT front is 2 seasons old at least and the Barzo is about 1-2 seasons old. Still looked brand new when I gave him the bike in July this year.

Only problem I ever had with Vittoria tires was when the Mezcal III first came out in the 2.35 variant. When I got it and installed it was super undersized (barely measuring 2.2), got ahold of Vittoria and they confirmed they had a few batches that were running small, notified the factory (as I was not the first to mention) and offered to replace with whatever I wanted as they could not guarantee that sending me out another Mezcal would get me a true 2.35.

Their customer service and products wearing like iron for the most part have earned my patronage. They may have the occasional tire that has issues but what tire company doesn't. I am on my third Maxxis tire now (2nd rear, first one that went was the DHF on front) and for the money they are nothing to write home about. Currently running an Ardent EXO 2.4 that I measured last night at 56.7mm (that's more like 2.25") where as the 3 season old Goma TNT 2.4 measured at 64.2mm (that's more like 2.5-2.6"). With regards to weight of the tires, yeah that is always something that is considered because most don't want a ton of weight on their wheels, but really are you an XC racer weight-weenie? Are you someone that notices that difference when a tire is rated at 960g and comes out to be 1000g? I can understand a couple hundred gram difference but 10-15% (in this case would be about 10-20g) is something you are not really going to notice unless, like said, you are a XC racer weight weenie. If that is the case, then yeah you should not be running something like the Goma, Martello, Mota, Morsa or the more aggressive tires.

·
Always in the wrong gear
2,843 Posts
Have you use any tires in the last 2 years ? since they opened there new plant with the 4 compound process ?
Pesonally, I'll admit I have not. But I ride 2x per week with guys on the 'new' graphene tires. As mentioned above we spend lots of time standing and watching one guy in particular patch or plug. We've been friends for about 3 years, riding 1-2x per week together (group rides) and he did not have tire problems when he was riding Bontrager XR2/3 or Maxxis Rekons.

Funny most of the pro peloton rides Vittoria Corsa Tires, so they must make a quality tire.
My gut says road tires and mtb tires are a little different. I dunno.

Also could you explain how if is physically possible from an engineering stand point to wear out a tire in 2 to 3 rides ? What maybe 60 miles ? Abso lutly impossiable.
I never said 2-3 rides. Also, I've done single rides this week that were 40-45 miles. 3 rides could be 100 miles.
I said 'weeks'... I think the Barzo that actually lived to 'worn' was about 5 weeks old. 350 miles?
I thought the ride quality of the 29x3.0 Bomboloni was excellent, but I have strava-verified tracking that the average life of that tire is about 300 miles before the edge knobs start chunking and the center knobs are in bad shape.

Could you explain where and what type of riding you are doing , opposed to a general statement " Barzo and Mezcal wore out in 2 weeks ?
Again. I never said '2' weeks. I ride general XC trails in the Phoenix Arizona area, occasionally taking my bike up to my cabin in the Eastern AZ White Mountains.

I Have a New 4 C Mezcal that I have used on both front and rear with ~ 150 miles on it and it still has a few production vent port nubs on it ?
That's awesome. I truly wish my experience was similar.

I get it, my original post was pretty snarky. I didn't mean to bash Vittoria tires, I just haven't seen good things from them.

I've been really happy with a 60tpi 29x2.6 Rekon on the back and a 120tpi 29x2.6 Forekaster on the front. 200-ish miles and I'd estimate the rear is at 60% life, the front is probably 80%. Zero flats or holes in either.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
The problem with taking tire advise from others is that people and terrain varies a lot. Heck even how I'm riding season to season varies a lot.

The photo below is of a WTB tough/ fast Breakout after about 6 weeks of local trail riding 2-3x per week. It took more of a hammering than most of my tires just because I enjoyed it so much (before they discontinued it). Tracton notably fell off this very day.

I personally swap out rear tires usually about every 6-8 weeks because they have torn knobs and what not.

Here is an HD2 (my all time fav rear tire currently) after about 2 months. I have others in my garage but you get the idea.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 525 Posts