Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a dirtbike background the helmet visor serves two purposes; to keep the sun out of your eyes and to duck (they were even called "duck bills" once) to avoid branches on the trail or roost from the bike in front of you on the track.

So what's the reason for the latest fad of mtnbike riding with the visor all the way up? To me that defeats all it's intended purpose plus provides a chance to get your neck twisted when a branch gets between helmet and visor. Someone please educate me if I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Totally Rad to have your goggles up on the helmet and visor above it when you get beers after the ride. It shows that you are a bad ass.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Visor goes up when on shaded trail, down for sunlit trail. I can see the owls in the trees easier when up...

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Not sure what you're referring to. It is however nice to be able to set your goggles up there between runs at the bike park. (It's more convenient for taking the fullface helmet on and off).

·
Registered
18,791 Posts
It's for goggles-up when you're chatting up the laydeez (or gents, if that's your flavor). You can't mesmerize them with your gaze if they can't see your eyes!

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
You know, I was having the same thought the other day when someone on this board mentioned that having the visor down was for noobs, and others concured with him. Clearly they don't live in the SW.

·
Registered
ya like dags?
5,276 Posts
It's not a downhill park thing. I wear my visor like that, and honestly it's because I find that it blocks my view and gets distracting (dumb as that sounds). I think my helmet looks goofy without it attached, so instead of taking it off I just put it up. Never thought of it as some kind of fashion statement, I just wanted it out from in front of my face.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,591 Posts
<----- wears glasses, not goggles

<----- also rides in densely wooded areas where catching a branch under the visor might make for a nasty case of whiplash, at minimum

<----- runs his visors as low as they'll go, always, and has been riding mtb's for over 20yrs.

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<----- wears glasses, not goggles

<----- also rides in densely wooded areas where catching a branch under the visor might make for a nasty case of whiplash, at minimum

<----- runs his visors as low as they'll go, always, and has been riding mtb's for over 20yrs.
40yrs visor down here, both mtnbike and moto. Don't think I'm a newbie. haha

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.