Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
gonzo said:
Do I need to bring my birth certificate if I'm riding trails near the border?

I'm a person of color.
Wow.

Unfortunately in AZ, passport or birth certificate when you are by the border and of color is always a good thing.

·
Tough as Nails
2 Posts
Chalkpaw, Thanks for the great route! Stayed an extra day and decided to do this ride to wrap up our vacation. Loved Templeton and the incredible views and slick rock trail riding. Didn't end up riding the Little Horse/Llama loop, as my camera/phone worked its way out of my jersey pocket and was lost, so we high-tailed it back down the BRP to try to track it down. Apparently someone found it (screen was cracked), but we could never find that person and they apparently didn't feel a need to leave it at the trailhead (was lost near Cathedral Rock) or turn it in anywhere. Mostly bummed about losing all my fantastic trail pictures. :( Oh well, guess we'll need to head back to Sedona to ride the trails again and get more pics! Enjoy your beautiful area and awesome trail system!

·
Registered
3 Posts
South Mountain - Need Recommendation

Hey locals...need your help. I'm out from NorCal visiting family for a few days and need a ride. Given the temp I'm thinking I'll have to head out around 5am or so but need a recommendation for a bike shop to rent an all-mountain bike from and a trailhead to use somewhere on the Tempe side of South Mountain. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am newish to the area and I am looking for riding partners. I am a XC rider training for 12 and 24 hour events. I like to go long, fast and in the dark. I am also trying to find new trails so if you know trails I am down to go. Mondays and Tuesday I am free all day (wife permitting) and Sunday mornings work well as I don't have to be at work till noon. Other than that most evenings after 6:30 (quitting time) I am ready to role. If you want, call or text me at 907.360.1360. I live in Tucson, and have ridden Fantasy, Sweetwater and Starr Pass so far for in town trails.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this post will get deleted but it is a desperate cry for help! Every States's discussions should have a sticky like this!. Well done Arizona! How about it be Oregon, the next state to follow AZ's example of what an informative thread should be???? Hint, hint, Oregon. ;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
50+ Rider Group

Looking for 50+ riders in the Phoenix area for weekend or late weekday rides. Phoenix Mountain Preserve, McDowell, Dynamite

·
Registered
142 Posts
Awesome Post guys!
My favorite trail when I'm in town is Desert Classic. It's a nice ride, not too difficult. Great for an after work ride.

·
Sunshine Coast, B.C.
2 Posts
Sedona Riding

I just completed 4 days of awesome riding in Sedona and I must say Sedona has it ALL!

Special thanks to TrailDoc for showing me some of the best and most memorable trails I have ever ridden.

Sedona has spectacular (high and narrow) side-of-ridge riding [Highline, Hog Heaven]; flowy single track [Special Ed, Aerie - smooth red dirt riding!]; epic rides like what I would call the "Wild West" [Chuck Wagon, Gunslinger, Mescal, Aerie, Cockscomb, Western Civilization, Last Frontier].

You need a good detailed map (check out TrailDoc's maps: sites.google.com/site/sedonamountainbikingtrails/home or Over the Edge bike shop) and good map reading and trail navigation skills as all of the best (i.e., non-system) trails are unmarked. Be sure to get some pointers from one of the local bike shops. You may be lucky enough to hook up with a local rider who knows the trails. For ride suggestions check out: w w w.everytrail.com/my_trips.php?user_id=149956 .

·
my dog's Frisbee launcher
513 Posts

·
PMarsh Thumbs Up!
1,288 Posts
Thinking about going to Phoenix (Mesa to be exact) in late March/early April for spring break and do some riding. My Aunt lives in Northeast Mesa just off the 202. She also has a house at Pinetop I believe so that's an option, but I don't know what's up there. I imagine Phoenix to have lots of great riding areas, and I know there are some that I could ride out from her house to.

Just wondering if there are at least enough DH style stuff. I hate riding uphill, especially with my bike setup the way it is. I do trudge uphill every now and then to get to the good riding trails though. I'm from Texas, so the heat shouldn't kill me, and I ride in NorCal now, so I'm used to some steep trails.

Anyways, this thread looks helpful, but some of the stuff is pretty old and wanted to make sure it's still relevant. Oh, and I'll have a car so I don't mind driving.

·
Ride Less
43 Posts
In Mesa, you'll be very close to Pass Mountain and Hawes, you could potentially ride to the TH depending on where she lives. While not DH, both areas are really fun. Gold Mountain is another area to check out around there.

In Pinetop, Sunrise will likely still be covered in snow. If you came during the Summer, you could take your bike on the lift and get some DH runs. There are XC trails up there too. Los Burros, Blue Ridge and Panorama come to mind, but they're not really "destination" trails and who knows what condition they'll be in that time of year.

·
PMarsh Thumbs Up!
1,288 Posts
In Mesa, you'll be very close to Pass Mountain and Hawes, you could potentially ride to the TH depending on where she lives. While not DH, both areas are really fun. Gold Mountain is another area to check out around there.

In Pinetop, Sunrise will likely still be covered in snow. If you came during the Summer, you could take your bike on the lift and get some DH runs. There are XC trails up there too. Los Burros, Blue Ridge and Panorama come to mind, but they're not really "destination" trails and who knows what condition they'll be in that time of year.
Thanks! I think I saw Hawes, and according to the map I looked at, It's a couple minutes from her house. This map showed the location as Busy Hwy though, while the text suggested something else.

I looked at Sunrise also, but I noticed lots of snow currently. Also, I read something about lift rules, and if I remember correctly I don't pass the no single rings in the front. Unless this rule has changed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You brought up some of the most important points that I learned on my own when I moved to Arizona and started riding. The weather is a blessing and a curse depending on when you are here and you will quickly learn to bring a comb with you to help when you get stuck with a cholla!! I wish I had read this thread years ago.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Sedona/VOC lodging?

Is Sedona Village Lodge accepable stay on the cheap or total dive to avoid at all costs? I like to stay in Village of Oak Creek vs Sedona proper and usuallly stay at Wildflower Inn, suits me fine, but coming a little later in the season (March) this year and can't really afford to stay there with other expenses (air, car, etc), so considering staying at Sedona Village Lodge instead this year, unless it is really dirty of course.

Thx for any feedback.
JG

41 - 60 of 71 Posts