Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Bike steup

This seems to be misssing from this thread. What are the ideal bike setups for this area? We're coming down to Flagstaff and maybe Sedona for five daysthis april(15-19). I usaually ride a 6&6 around home for XC trails around home, but have a 4&4 for smoother stuff. What should I bring for the must hit rides in these areas. Should we go anywhere else? We have five days not incuding drive to and from Idaho. Thanks for the advice.

Archie

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,357 Posts
Archie, it really depends on your riding style and what you're looking for. I've ridden in both towns on bikes ranging from a 5x5 bike to a fully rigid single speed. I think you will find that many people prefer hardtails or short travle FS bikes in Flagstaff because there is so much climbing to do, and yet there are several trails there that will test your 6x6 set up to its limits. There is less climbing (shorter climbs anyway) and universally rough terrain in Sedona so longer travel FS bikes are preferred there. Its a vacation so take the bike you think you will have the most fun on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Archie, Your answer depends on what trail you are riding.
Pemberton McDowell, T100 and most of the haws area a 4x4 would work fine.
Other sections of trail around Haws and most of South Mountain you will be glad you brought the 6x6.

If you want smoth and fast stick to the 4x4 trails, if you want big drops and tech stuff ride all over South Mtn with your 6x6 and a helmet.

·
I am Walt
6,281 Posts
archie said:
This seems to be misssing from this thread. What are the ideal bike setups for this area? We're coming down to Flagstaff and maybe Sedona for five daysthis april(15-19). I usaually ride a 6&6 around home for XC trails around home, but have a 4&4 for smoother stuff. What should I bring for the must hit rides in these areas. Should we go anywhere else? We have five days not incuding drive to and from Idaho. Thanks for the advice.

Archie
You can ride and enjoy just about everything with a 3" SS hardtail. For SoMo up on the mountain and Goat Camp, you'll appreciate the 6/6, though there are some that ride National et al on rigid hardtails.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Trails Near Westin Kierland - Scottsdale

First of all, thank you for having this as a sticky. I'm actually looking for advice in terms of should I rent a car to transport my bike from the hotel. I will be at the Westin Kierland for business at the end of March and found out I will have some downtime to ride (Yeaah!). Long story short, I was in the Phoenix area two years ago and rented a FS bike and rode South Mountain.

I had a blast but missed my Blur LT back in Georgia. Well, I know have a bike case and will have my Blur shipped. My question: should I rent a car to drive to some of the awesome trails near Scottsdale or are there any trails I could ride to from the hotel. I don't mind doing a little roadie work to get to the trails.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Moo Shoo Pork said:
First of all, thank you for having this as a sticky. I'm actually looking for advice in terms of should I rent a car to transport my bike from the hotel. I will be at the Westin Kierland for business at the end of March and found out I will have some downtime to ride (Yeaah!). Long story short, I was in the Phoenix area two years ago and rented a FS bike and rode South Mountain.

I had a blast but missed my Blur LT back in Georgia. Well, I know have a bike case and will have my Blur shipped. My question: should I rent a car to drive to some of the awesome trails near Scottsdale or are there any trails I could ride to from the hotel. I don't mind doing a little roadie work to get to the trails.

Thanks in Advance.
The McDowells (Sunrise, Lost Dog, etc) are not too far from there, probably riding distance. PM WaltAZ, he can probably give you the scoop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cheers for the guidance

Thaks chaps!

I read through this thread when I got my trip to Phoenix confirmed. As a result I got in touch with Fish at Cactus bikes. When I arrived in Phx I got to his shop and he lent me a Giant Trance XO, some flat tyre stuff and a camelbak and kicked me out of the door. He recomended the dessert classic trail as I wanted something fast and flowy - plus it was only about half a mile from the shop so I just rode the bike up the road to the trailhead and span out past some of the Indian Petroglyphs for an out-n-back of 23 miles or so.

What can I say? It was exactly what I was looking for; fast, meandering singletrack through the cacti with nice berms, little hucks, fantastic weather, a nice breeze and friendly peeps on the trail.

I got a pinch flat from a bit of a hard landing but I had the schtuff to fix it so no probs.

All told it was just shy of 25 miles, 2k feet of climbing and about 2.5 hours ride time out 'n' back from the shop. Just the perfect ride before I met up with my mates for astag/bachellor party that weekend!

Thanks again for the info. I live in dirty Jersey now so if any of you head out that way and want to experience what it's like to ride under tree cover and in teperatures less than 100 degrees then let me know!! Cheers!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Question about timing.
Hello, I am coming to Arizona for about a week long bike trip this winter, probably in January or February. Can anyone offer their thoughts about which place, Tuscon or Sedona, would be more fun to spend a week in? I ride an all mountain bike and love the downhills but don't mind pedaling it on 25+ mile rides.
Thanks!

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,357 Posts
Sedona is spotty in winter. When I lived in Flagstaff I would go down there to ride all the time when the snow and mud covered the trails in Flag. But there would be days, even weeks at a time when the trails were too snowy or (usually) wet in Sedona as well. Also, check the average weather there for that time of year, it is a bit cool, in the 50's for highs, and some people don't want to go someplace on vacation for that.

My advice would be to spend most of your trip in Tucson or someplace else down low and have a flexible schedule to try to work 2-3 days in Sedona in at some point when the weather looks clear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Flagstaff to Grand Canyon - EPIC

Description
Where do I start, the Arizona Trail is amazing. The Arizona Trail actually goes from Mexico to Utah but we just rode the northern part. We started around 7,000’ in Flagstaff, Arizona. We did the Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon ride in 2 days. Day one, from Flagstaff to Moqui Station and Day 2 from Mogi to the Grand Canyon, Grand view lookout, and then over to the south rim area. A total of 80 miles. The first 50 miles is mostly fire road and the last 20miles is amazing twisty up and down single track through pine trees.

Day one, 50.5 miles, we started on Heart Prairie road just west of the San Francisco Peaks. Nice pine trees and good road uphill for about 3 miles. At about 10 miles you start dropping out of the pine trees and pass through a burn area. Looks like another planet. As you come out of the ponderosa pine you hit the VERY bumpy fire road. Suspension would be nice for this part, I was on a rigid single speed and it hurt. You are pretty much downhill for about 20 more miles. Watch your map or GPS carefully as there are lots of roads. The ride is relatively flat the next 20 miles to Moqui station, a few small ups and downs. It is kind of uneventful, just fire road with some beautiful views of the San Francisco Peaks, and huge prairies. You kind of feel like a cowboy without a horse. We camped at Moqui station. I have done the ride the opposite way, from the Grand Canyon to Flagstaff, in one day and I would have much rather split it up. Much more fun and relaxing.

Day two, 30 miles, this is where you start the good single track. Very fun, small untraveled trail. It is just amazing up and down twisty single track through the pine trees. I absolutely love this part of the ride. It is a gradual climb up but I hardly realized I was having so much fun. I don’t know what mile but you hit Russell Tank a great spot for a rest. At 20 miles you hit the Grand view lookout, a tall fire lookout station. A few more miles and you arrive at the Grand View lookout for the Canyon, amazing. That’s a big hole. We continued another 10 miles west of pavement to the south rim area.

Bring lots of water, stash some prior to the ride by car if you can. It can get hot out there, especially out on those prairies without a tree in site. Bring spare parts. Flats can be very common with all the cacti, we all rode with slime.

Directions to Trailhead
I can’t provide detailed directions at this time. To get to Heart Prairie road take 180 north out of Flagstaff about 10 miles. You then head north :).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Desert Advice

Great sticky! One thing it seems to be missing though... a bit of warning, at least for those coming to the grand Sonoran:

As a friend of mine once put it... EVERYTHING IN THE DESERT BITES.
Including... Animals (Obvious), Plants (not just the cactus, but every tree, bush and weed), and the ground (rocks hurt a lot worse than dirt, the sharp ones in particular).

Remember, the desert doesn't just have a reputation for being harsh, hot and unforgiving - it really is. And people really die every year from underestimating it. Before riding, take a look around the internet and find out a bit about sonoran desert terrain and critters. A few bike related dangers:

-Dehydration (drink lots of water for a few hours before going on a ride - if you wait till you get thirsty on your ride it will be far too late)

-Heat exhaustion (if you start feeling dizzy and getting a headache stop and take a rest in some shade. Drink some water and cool off. Bad cases cause people to pass out.)

-Falling in general is more dangerous. A good trip into a cholla cactus will earn you a medivac:D Take it slow and be careful.

-The desert is 10 times as dangerous at night, as most animals are smart and avoid the daytime heat (diamondback rattlesnake anyone?). Its great to ride at dusk to avoid the hottest temps, but make sure to plan thoroughly and leave time for mishaps. Bring a flashlight.

-finally, sharp rocks and cactus throns don't do much good for tires. Be prepared with extra tubes and patches.

All that being said, its an extremely beautiful place, and home to some great riding. With a little preparation, you'll have a great time, but without it you might have a really bad day.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Sonoran Desert Mountain Bicyclists has a whole bunch of ride descriptions with pics, directions, elevations and many have GPS data available. Great resource, and not just because i'm a Board Member. ;) Email me (webmaster) through the site and we'll hook you up with some great rides and riders if you want.

TucsonMTB was formed by a few SDMB members who wanted a more local forum-based discussion group. There is a growing trail description section but it's mostly for folks to hang out and talk about the local trails. It is a great resource...

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Sedona mappage

Check out the maps of Sedona by Dale and Fishman on Dale's website www.singletrack.us (click on Jen's butt to enter site). Traildoc has been doodling on Fishman's map and there was this tread where he'd post his doodles and then I'd do an overlay onto Dale's map. Let's just say it's a work in progress and ride at your own risk, but lots of trails are highlighted here that you'll find on no other map:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5877348#poststophttp://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=sedona

·
EDR
10,039 Posts
Trek920 said:
Timber Mesa.

anyone have decent directions on how to get there?

MCDowell Mountains

Suggestions on where to park and where the trail heads are?
For the White Mtns (Timber Mesa) see the TRACKS website
http://www.tracks-pinetop-lakeside.org/trail1.htm

For McDowell Mtns you enter the park (bring your $6) and there is only one trail head for the 3 competitive loops. It's obvious. They all start and end at that TH.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Camping in the greater Phoenix area?

We're thinking of visiting Phoenix over the holidays to check out the riding. This sticky is a great resource and my thanks go out to all who have made it so useful.:thumbsup:

Are there any reliable camping options around any of the trailheads? My only memory of Phoenix is that it goes on forever and I am afraid there won't be any options that are easy to find without good advice. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Staggering sober
201 Posts
permits

lobolator said:
The trail is on State land and requires a permit ($20/yr - well worth it - permit good on any state land).
Is there a single day permit? I don't live there and don't want to pony up twenty dollars to ride for one day, though don't mind making a fair contribution.

Tim

21 - 40 of 71 Posts