Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be visiting the Taos area next week for a family vacation and will have my mt bike with me (ibis ripley). Was hoping to do some XC/AM rides in the area. I am good for 10-15 miles and up to 3500’ of climbing. I am intermediate/expert level and hoping to find some technical stuff. I can drive to the trail head if needed but will be staying in Taos So it would also be nice to leave from the air b & b. I am from PNW so I am used to riding straight up then straight down. What would a Local suggest?

thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you can swing a 45 min - 1 hr drive, get up to Red River and do the Lost Lake loop. It is right along the lines of what you are describing. I'd do your best to make an effort to do this ride, just amazing scenery, especially this time of year, and conditions should be prime. There is an incredibly scenic lake at the high point of the climb, great place for lunch or a snack. Every visitor I've had in NM has said it was the highlight of their trip, standing out above many other good rides in Northern NM.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Hop over to Angel Fire (~25 miles) for lift assist downhill (freeride/flow and technical). They also have an XC trail, Enlightenment, you can use to ride up versus riding the lift. It's a one-way uphill only 3 mile 1,800 climb XC trail. Very little traffic on that trail.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but some of the tech downhill trails I'd consider XC... with out the need to pedal. The flow is a lot of fun too. If the rest of the family isn't riding, they can take the lift for a little hiking, freebie golf, and zipline.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I like recommendation above of heading over to Angel Fire and pedaling up Enlightenment and picking different trails on the way down. Last month I was on my 100mm XC bike and would take Easy Street or Sierra down (greens). I also like some of the blues (Chutes and Ladders, Duchess). You can check out Greenbelt trails in Angel Fire as well and some of those are really fun XC rides (Cougar is my favorite). Finally, the last portion of South Boundary trail (the section that descends 2k feet) towards Taos is very technical and I think great tech riding. Have a great trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.