Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I am heading to SF for a week and want to get some rides in. Where can I demo an Ibis, Intense or a Santa Cruz and where can I get some good loops in close to town. Looking forward to a ride in some new terrain.

Thanks for the direction.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
If you're coming up to the north bay (about an hour north of SF), there's Annadel SP, which has great trails. A local bike shop here, Bike Peddler, demos (for $) Ibis (and maybe Santa Cruz) bikes. It's a bit pricey to demo, but the cost goes toward the purchase of any bike at the store.

Alternatively Specialized will be having a free demo day the weekend of May 3rd at Annadel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will be there from the 14th to the 20th. No agenda either. Hang with friends and ride. Good times.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Head south to Santa Cruz and you'll have access to some great trails and can demo an Ibis or Santa Cruz from Scotts Valley Cycle Sport. Trailhead cyclery in San Jose should have intense as well as Ibis' to demo. Call either one for details.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
There is a shop in Novato that has rental's ,forgot the name you could ride Tamarancho or China Camp. Another way to make sure you get the ride you are looking for is to book a ride with Mountain Biking Marin ,set you with a bike and take you the best trails.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
If you're staying in SF, then head down to Skegg's Point. You'll see decent single track and a landscape way different than NM (Redwoods). Marin has much more limited trail access.

G

·
If you'd like to check out some scenic coastal stuff close to SF (15 min drive) I'd try to make it down to Pacifica. More recreational type trails along the coast, not MTB specific, but the views and overall experience is worth a visit. There are some XC trails and single track in the mountains surrounding the coastal trail as well, look for Pacifica trail info in the trails section for specific info.

Looks like this:
http://forums.mtbr.com/california-norcal/sweeney-ridge-ride-4-8-14-a-907650.html

·
Registered
857 Posts
sunshine in fairfax has some nice ibis demos; from there you can ride from the shop to tamarancho (redwoods! downhill flow trail!), and there's more stuff too nearby. also closer to SF than any of the options on this thread except skeggs, where there's no services of any kind. (you can probably rent a decent bike in sf and go to tamarancho and skeggs and ride in the city itself at sutro.)

·
Registered
334 Posts
You can also book a demo on pretty much any of Santa Cruz's line-up at their factory. Just do it on the website. They give you about 3 hours and they are close to lots of trails. They do not charge anything for this service. Just think of it as free rental for the afternoon, in a beautiful place, with awesome trails.....on a $6000 carbon wonderbike with ENVE wheels!

·
roadie
744 Posts
technically, they charge your card $1. but yeah, outside of commute hours it's like 1:30 each way to SC. if you can swing that, you should line up a demo from HQ.

·
Registered
334 Posts
technically, they charge your card $1. but yeah, outside of commute hours it's like 1:30 each way to SC. if you can swing that, you should line up a demo from HQ.
Right, I forgot that $1 charge. It is for a technical reason for their liability insurance or something like that. Pretty much free though.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This ^^^. The Headlands don't get a lot of love because its mainly fireroads until you find your way around a bit but it is crazy over the top beautiful and a 10 minute ride from Roaring Mouse across the golden gate bridge! You can check the surf, catch a beautiful sunset and ride miles and miles of dirt from city with no car. Really a special place for us city folk. The Roaring Mouse guys will steer you right. Rent a short travel bike.

·
I'm really diggin it!
3,078 Posts
sunshine in fairfax has some nice ibis demos; from there you can ride from the shop to tamarancho (redwoods! downhill flow trail!), and there's more stuff too nearby. also closer to SF than any of the options on this thread except skeggs, where there's no services of any kind. (you can probably rent a decent bike in sf and go to tamarancho and skeggs and ride in the city itself at sutro.)
I was going to say this. If you would like to go riding with me send me a PM. I should be free next week. Should be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts