Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am visiting San Jose this week, and might be able to go for a ride Wednesday afternoon.

The weather forecast has been and is very wet.

Any trail will be open and worth riding?

I have ridden Demo and Skeggs before (I enjoyed both).

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Unfortunately it will be a bad riding week. Demo and Skeggs will not be in good riding condition. If you need to get out and ride your best bet is probably some fireroads which will still be muddy and miserable.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Priest Rock (fireroad climb) which is above Lexington Reservoir will be open. Holds up really good and used to be my winter ride when I lived in the area. Coming down Overgrown (limekiln) should be alright too. Siera Azul Openspace..check it out.. http://www.openspace.org/preserves/maps/pr_sierra_azul.pdf A good ride would be to go up Priest Rock, right turn on Limekiln up to the top, turnaround and blast down Limekiln all the way to Lexington.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,468 Posts
Ebo said:
Priest Rock (fireroad climb) which is above Lexington Reservoir will be open. Holds up really good and used to be my winter ride when I lived in the area. Coming down Overgrown (limekiln) should be alright too. Siera Azul Openspace..check it out.. http://www.openspace.org/preserves/maps/pr_sierra_azul.pdf A good ride would be to go up Priest Rock, right turn on Limekiln up to the top, turnaround and blast down Limekiln all the way to Lexington.
Flafonta, we actually do not know if Priest Rock is rideable or in decent shape on Wednesday afternoon. This is just too much rain with no letup.

And you should know that this trail is 4 miles straight up and straight down.

fc

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
grumblingcrustacean said:
What's wrong with 4 miles straight up and straight down?
-j
Maybe he noticed I am from the great plains (Dallas) :)

But I can handle some climbing ;)

This weather s****. I really like to squeeze in a ride whenever I travel for business. And you have such great riding in your area.

I fly in Wednesday, so if something opens up, please let me know, I will then pack my gear.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
It will be ridable unless there is an earthquake and the land slides into the ocean. I've ridden these trails (fireroads) many times during incredibly wet and raining conditions. True, there is a lot of climbing, but it's a good ride when Skeggs or Demo are far worse and maybe need to be left alone.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,468 Posts
Ebo said:
It will be ridable unless there is an earthquake and the land slides into the ocean. I've ridden these trails (fireroads) many times during incredibly wet and raining conditions. True, there is a lot of climbing, but it's a good ride when Skeggs or Demo are far worse and maybe need to be left alone.
Sure it will be rideable. It will suck like nobody's business and soft parts of the trail will get damaged as well. There's an old mudslide there too and a washed away trail too so it could be dangerous. No trail is waterproof and it's good to give it a day to drain when there's this much rain.

Wednesday is the wettest day of four consequtive days too so I would be very cautious.

fc

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the plane might not even be able to land with that nasty forecast for Wednesday morning :)

Don't worry for your trails, I won't ride.

We have terrible soil in Dallas, and most locals are very careful about not riding when wet. It can take weeks of sunshine for some of our trails to dry out properly..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.