Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in San Diego on the 31, staying in the Gaslamp area for 9 days. I am wondering if it's worth me hauling my bike down from Canada? Are there good trails (single track) within biking distance? Are there any places that rent out good mountain bikes? If no trails within biking distance how far a drive to the best recommended trails? Thanks

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
Biking distance? Not really, Asslamp district is smack dab downtown middle of 38,332,521 people.

30 minute drive north, south, and east will get you to decent rides. 45 min - 1 hr drive east will get you to the best San Diego has to offer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Bike Revolution

I've never been in this place or know anyone who has, but The Bike Revolution is right there in Gaslamp. According to their website, they have some decent Jamis and Kona rentals. Worth a look. If you do end up renting from them, do us all a big favor and let us know how they were afterward!

+1 on BRG's comments. Would be helpful to know your level of experience, affinity for climbing, and type of riding you enjoy (XC, AM, DH, etc). Maybe someone will offer to take you on a guided tour! You might also post up on DirtTreaders (more of a San Diego-based forum). I think there are even one or two Canadian expats on there. Where in Canada are you from?

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
There is riding about 1 - 2 miles away in Balboa park. Look up Florida Canyon. Not the greatest but if you are looking the closest possible ride, this is it. You can do lots of laps and explore the finger canyons in the area. Lots of riders will be in that area. Just follow a few to get the lay of the land.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info. I am an xc rider looking for great single track and I will be doing a few races this year. I am actually in the market for a new bike now as I just sold mine. Maybe my best option is Bike Services. The bike on the top of my list is actually a Santa Cruz Tall Boy 2, which would be great to get to ride/demo one for a day through Bike Services. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts