Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I are planning to be in Phoenix for about 4-5 days mid-march, driving down from Denver. Tentatively planning to ride at South Mountain, Pass Mountain, PMP, .... maybe McDowell. Still researching trails. And probably will take in spring training game or two.

Any suggestions on what part of the metro area to stay in? Convenient to good food, beer, etc. The biking areas i've listed are sort of spread out, so i know we're going to be doing a bit of driving anyway. Maybe some areas would be better to avoid traffic, etc.

Would like to book a motel as prices appear to be on the rise....

any suggestions are appreciated.
thanks-tom

·
Registered
742 Posts
Anywhere near downtown scottsdale will be mostly sold out sporadically through march. We're sold out the 3rd-5th, 8th-14th, 16th-24th and close to it on most of the other days. If you ask me Id look for somewhere north valley not near any sporting events, major meeting spaces (downtown). Embassy suites at Paradise Valley mall might be a good choice for the full breakfast and free drinks at night.

Definitely check hotels.com, travelocity, expedia and all the others for the best rates. Good hunting!

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
public transportation here stinks, and everything trail is 30 min away from everything else. centrally located will be pricey, or a hovel. I'd suggest something near one of the highways in the east half of the valley. not west valley as that is really far from everything you want.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info.

How about Comfort Inn in Fountain Hills? Co-worker sez he's spent some time in that area and wouldn't recommend it because no good resturants nearby and generally to far from everything...but it's an option....

Another option near SoMo: Grace Inn? seen that recommended on this board.

We're driving down, so will have transportation.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Fountain hills would keep you near the Mcdowell mtn park and the Mcdowell Sonoran and Hawes and about 25 min from PMP at 40th st depending on traffic conditions. Not sure on the rates there but I miss living in Ftn Hills if that matters for anything.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
ripley said:
Thanks for the info.

How about Comfort Inn in Fountain Hills? Co-worker sez he's spent some time in that area and wouldn't recommend it because no good resturants nearby and generally to far from everything...but my friend thinks it would be good....

FH is beautiful, but afaik not much to do. If you are happy riding all day and just chilling at night, might be perfect for you. The McDs Preserve has some sweet, big XC climbs. the park is rather tame, imo. FH is not close to anything.

Anything near Somo will be more in the sprawl with choices for food etc. plentiful.

What kind of riding do you like? Pass Mtn and the 'signature' trails on Somo are technical - AZrs would classify them as intermediate tech all the way up to double-black on Somo. The PMP has some of everything, and in particular you would benefit from a guide who rides what you like as its quite the maze. Hawes is beautiful desert xc - intermediate riding. Hawes and Pass Mtn can be combined for a ~35 mile day, 5-8 hrs depending on your pace.

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
Fountain Hills is cool. A very nice little community all to itself, or at least it used to be. A bit of a drive to most anything else except MMP (Mcdowells). Not far from Scottsdale though but a good drive to SoMo. Nice area, probably no night life but you can hit cougar-town for that.

Good call on adding Pass Mtn to your list. That+National+MMP comp loops should make for a pretty nice experience. Post up when your here. Throw in Hawes near PM if you can. You can link up a long ride between the two. A guide is suggested for that one.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
ripley said:
Thanks for the info.

How about Comfort Inn in Fountain Hills? Co-worker sez he's spent some time in that area and wouldn't recommend it because no good resturants nearby and generally to far from everything...but my friend thinks it would be good....

Grace Inn on Elliot is ideal since you'll be close to South Mountain (can ride from the hotel), close to a good bike shop (Cactus Bikes at 48th and Elliot) and post-ride burritos (Los Taquitos, next to Cactus, or the Burrito Co also on Elliot). It's also right on I-10, so is central for launching off to other biking locations. Lots of eateries are two miles south on Ray, or head up to Mill Ave in Tempe for some campus fun if that's your thing. You'll need to eat at Nellos Pizza at least once - Warner and 48th.

·
No Clue Crew
7,595 Posts
When I've gone out of town for riding trips, my wife and I have typically rented a house. I've found it's about the same price as a hotel but better amenities.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Blatant makes a good point. I vacationed here three summers before moving here, house rental was always cheaper than motel, not to mention more private and comfortable. Try VRBO.com, that's where I always found my rentals.

·
Registered
86 Posts
. Hotel Theodore is not the nicest hotel, but it will NOT be sold out, and it is right in old town walking distance to the giants stadiu, and all the bars and restaraunts. They are about to go under renovation.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies. We're not really looking for night-life, just some good food & drink in the evenings and just kicking back. Really just want to ride some fun new trails and relax.

We enjoy low-speed technical riding the most, but like a variety. Singletrack a must. Both on 5x5" travel bikes. Favorite trails would be the Gooseberry Mesa, Moore Fun-Fruita type. And we won't likely be riding more than 4 hours per day....that's just a bit more than our typical rides and not sure my body will hold up with that much riding in a period of a few days. I'd rather have an easy pace on techy trails having fun than trying to cover lots of country at a fast pace.

SoMo looks great from the descriptions & pics i've seen. As does the info about Pass Mountain and PMP. So any specific must do trails or routes at these locations is very welcome.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Fountain hills has a fairly nice holiday inn (good AAA rate) , some good Italian nearby and several other good places to chill...closest to mmp and not too far from Hawes which if you include the loops and up & over to twisted sister & wild horse makes for a great couple of hours w/views and a variety intermediate w/ some tech, If your seeking a step up SOMO is the place Mormon,National etc. Ironically I ran into someone the other day who was telling me I have to get up to Gooseberry.....

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
ripley said:
Thanks for all the replies. We're not really looking for night-life, just some good food & drink in the evenings and just kicking back. Really just want to ride some fun new trails and relax.

We enjoy low-speed technical riding the most, but like a variety. Singletrack a must. Both on 5x5" travel bikes. Favorite trails would be the Gooseberry Mesa, Moore Fun-Fruita type. And we won't likely be riding more than 4 hours per day....that's just a bit more than our typical rides and not sure my body will hold up with that much riding in a period of a few days. I'd rather have an easy pace on techy trails having fun than trying to cover lots of country at a fast pace.

SoMo looks great from the descriptions & pics i've seen. As does the info about Pass Mountain and PMP. So any specific must do trails or routes at these locations is very welcome.
you want to spend a full day at Somo, maybe 2. Wed early there is the Gnar Gnar van for shuttles, but climbing Somo is fantastic as well. National's east half to Telegraph Pass and back, and the DH options down the north face are what you want.

Pass Mtn and Hawes would be a long day, but you will really like the flow of Hawes along with PM if tech is your thing. Pass Mtn alone is 2-3 hrs. Or do PM, then some decent pub options along Power road, then ride Hawes after lunch for 2 hrs.

McDs - big desert XC climbs. honestly not sure I'd put it high on your list, given what you've described. up and over Tom's Thumb, up and over Bell is the best descents and most interesting terrain. some HAB due to steepness, but i'm assuming you CO types aren't afraid of a 2k climb.

you don't have Goat Camp on your list. its out in the far west valley but is pretty unique. The descent is very very hard, if you don't have a guide, the XC out and back options is still very fun and more light all-mountain than xc.

PMP - if you have a local, there is some great techy stuff there. but without a guide...took me a bunch of rides til i could tell where i was in that place and not always end up on the tamest trails. ymmv.

this is all Phx. Sedona is a viable day trip and well worth it. so are the Dells in Prescott. but you won't get bored with the above list.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DurtGurl said:
Grace Inn on Elliot is ideal since you'll be close to South Mountain (can ride from the hotel), close to a good bike shop (Cactus Bikes at 48th and Elliot) and post-ride burritos (Los Taquitos, next to Cactus, or the Burrito Co also on Elliot). It's also right on I-10, so is central for launching off to other biking locations. Lots of eateries are two miles south on Ray, or head up to Mill Ave in Tempe for some campus fun if that's your thing. You'll need to eat at Nellos Pizza at least once - Warner and 48th.
DurtGurl, thanks for food recommendations. Good to know where the locals like to eat after riding.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
chollaball, thanks for the trail info. i'm leaning towards skipping PMP this trip, just cuz it doesn't sound like it has a lot to offer over SoMo & other rides and also the maze of trails factor. And spend more time at SoMo. The hawes/PM options sound pretty good.

We are stopping for one night in Sedona on the way down. Will be traveling from Moab that day..hope to get an early start to allow a late afternoon Sedona ride. And possible morning ride next day. Need to research two 2-3 hour rides there. Any suggestions? Believe we're staying in Oak Creek.

·
SamuraiBunnyGuy
2,587 Posts
i'm now free to take a weekend off from work (since my last one over 10 months ago) to finally get out to AZ again to househunt.
My bunny that required constant care for her cancer since last summer crossed the bridge on tuesday :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
Theres a Best Western InnSuites at 16th St. and Northern in Phoenix - blocks from SR-51 and direct access to PMP in all it's glory. Nice area for food, too (Aunt Chiladas, Gallaghers within walking).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.