Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be passing thru Tuscon, Phoenix, Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff, and Grand Canyon area on a road trip out west next weekend (approximately, it is a road trip and has no set schedule) and I would like to get at least one ride in somewhere. I am a expert level rider, and I am going with two friends, one of which is good (maybe sport level) and one who is a beginner (not much riding experience). However none of us are in particularly good shape since our western NY riding season ended months ago. We would also need to rent bikes since we can't bring our own. Any suggestions on places to ride that are warm, have both technical and easier trails, and can rent good bikes nearby? I've done some looking but there are so many places to choose from I thought I would see what the locals have to say. Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
i reccommend south mountain for everyone. see the sticky at the top. this trail has mormon/national for the expert/sport and desert classic for the not so expert. plenty of shops willing to rent as well. hawes is another great one, and dna cycles rents i believe.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buffalo area, I live in South Wales. Even though we have not really got any snow so far this year and it hasn't been that cold, it is wet all the time and that really limits riding options.

I originally posted before reading the sticky at the top, my bad. However that gives so many options it makes my head spin. Also I don't know what areas are cold or snowy in the winter months, but I would assume the more southern areas are probably warmer?

·
I am Walt
6,366 Posts
I'm from Orchard Park...been here for 5+ years.

Your best bets are Phoenix and Tucson, and maybe Prescott and Sedona, depending on the weather. Lots of options here in the Phoenix area; something for everyone.

I'll be gone next weekend, but you'll likely be able to hook up with some peeps...

·
Registered
676 Posts
JustMtnB44 said:
I will be passing thru Tuscon, Phoenix, Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff, and Grand Canyon area on a road trip out west next weekend (approximately, it is a road trip and has no set schedule) and I would like to get at least one ride in somewhere. I am a expert level rider, and I am going with two friends, one of which is good (maybe sport level) and one who is a beginner (not much riding experience). However none of us are in particularly good shape since our western NY riding season ended months ago. We would also need to rent bikes since we can't bring our own. Any suggestions on places to ride that are warm, have both technical and easier trails, and can rent good bikes nearby? I've done some looking but there are so many places to choose from I thought I would see what the locals have to say. Thank you for any advice.
Hi,

I'm no local but have been on vactation several times now to Arizona as the riding is fantastic in this part of the states :)

Take a look at my Holiday Journal http://www.mtb-hol.com - it might give you some ideas as to where to ride when you visit

Cheers

Zinger

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
If riding Tucson…

JustMtnB44 said:

…I rent Cannondale full suspension. I'm located in the 50 Year Trail Area, north of Tucson. The area includes the Deer Camp Loop (Middle Gate) Around the Mountain,Cherry Tank, Baby Jesus as well as many other unmarked, lesser known trails. Actually, only the 50 Year is marked, but not real hard to find your way around. The area has easy and hard rides.

Saturday morning(s), I'm not available, (volunteer at Tohono Chul Park…geeky plant stuff) but afternoon I'm around. If you'd like, pick up bikes on Friday (or just ride connector from right here to trail system on Saturday or Sunday). We normally don't do half day rentals, but if you just wanted to ride Saturday afternoon, we can work out something.

wowaz dot com

(site is old and tired, but info is there…new site being constructed)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts