Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never been to NC or SC, but have heard repeatedly that y'all have great rides.... It's way too cold & snowbound up here in NH, so I'm thinking "road trip" in search of warmth & great CC/AM singletrack, 3 - 6 hour rides, etc., around 3/12 - 3/20/11.

Any and all advice, suggestions appreciated (& readily reciprocated when you're ready to ride
southwest NH/VT),

thanks in advance,

-Bob ([email protected])

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Just some very general info to help you start out:

Asheville, NC is the city you want to research. It's a fun place to base your operations, with a lot of hotels , restaurants, bars, local brews, etc.

Search this forum looking for rides. The general areas where you would start a ride are called Bent Creek (closest to Asheville...10 min from downtown), North Mills River (15 min), Brevard, N.C. area:Davidson River/Fish Hatchery/Ranger STation area (20 min), and Dupont State Forest (30 minutes).

In SC , the mountainous rides are hard to find, and the well marked stuff (like Forks Area Trail System) is flat, but might be something to check into if you have bad luck w/ weather.

Speaking of which...mid March is a crapshoot. Chances are very good that the weather will be better than NH and the trails will be rideable, but you could always have 45 degree rain. Or you could have sunny and 60 like last weekend! Very unlikely to be snow on the trails, although not out of the question.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks nice; this is what the VA state park website reads:

Virginia State Parks Trails
Type of Trail Number Mileage
Hiking 133 133.15
Mountain Biking 6 17.52

I'm assuming there are lots of navigable trails in & around Douthat? Or that the hiking trails are actually open to mountain biking, or the enforcement is lax? I'd like to know more, and maybe even rendezvous. Where are you in VT? thanks, Bob ([email protected])

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
Here is a map of douthat Almost all the trails are open to bikes. The trails are very high quality singletrack. Rules are3 strictly enforced. The campground is super popular so reserve in advance. It's sure to be booked.

There is 1-2 days worth of trails in Douthat depending on how long you ride in a day. If that's not enough check out the southern traverse IMBA epic route just north of douthat. The traverse is a long ridge ride in the back country. Razor thin single track and lots of wild rock gardens. You will either love it or hate it.

·
CrgCrkRyder
2,373 Posts
rshalit said:
looks nice; this is what the VA state park website reads:

Virginia State Parks Trails
Type of Trail Number Mileage
Hiking 133 133.15
Mountain Biking 6 17.52

I'm assuming there are lots of navigable trails in & around Douthat? Or that the hiking trails are actually open to mountain biking, or the enforcement is lax? I'd like to know more, and maybe even rendezvous. Where are you in VT? thanks, Bob ([email protected])
Trails in Douthat are very well marked and rated - excellent place for a visitor. Right at 40 miles in the park. Probably 60+ miles (or really much more depending on how far out you want to venture) in the George Washington National Forest on trails that connect into Douthat. Get the Covington - Alleghany Highlands National Geographic map if you venture out of the state park, those trails are much less marked, maintained, and used.

Pretty much the only trail closed to biking is the trail that circles the lake. Lots of climbing at Douthat.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I think Asheville will be a more complete vacation experience. (beer, food, music) Most of the riding is near Brevard, but the night life is in Asheville, 30 min north.

Hit the classic rides (laurel/pilot, Squirrel, some combo of Black/Buckwheat/Bennet, Heartbreak, and a big loop around DuPont.) Bent Creek is fun, but it's the least like our best rides and most like the riding you can find elsewhere.

You may want to stop in Harrisonburg, Staunton, or Roanoke, VA to ride and sleep, mid-trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.