Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be visiting Dortmund and Munich. I'll have my bike with me because after Germany I'm going to the French Alps for riding. I'll also have a car so even if it's not directly in the city as long as it's not too far.

So does anybody have a suggestion of a nice singletrack trail close to one of those 2 cities? Something for a couple of hours of fun. Even a web site with trail description/direction? I don't speak German but my girlfriend could translate it if it's in German. There is some stuff in the trail review section but the location don't mention those cities.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, very helpful

quite some info you gave me there

Sprocketeer said:
I believe in Germany you have to sit perfectly erect, ride in straight lines, and only turn in perfect right angles.

·
the refurbished one
723 Posts
hi,

when you are in munich you should watch out for the isar trails.
the isar is a river through munich and you will find there tons of beautiful singletrails.
watch out for any locals or ask in a local bikeshop for the best spots.

cheers,
phil

Attachments

·
-arschloch-
867 Posts
yeah, i also suggest checking in with the local mtb shop. they should be able to tell you where the local group meets up on saturday mornings (afternoons for my group). i have found the groups are generally pretty friendly (even to north americans with less than perfect german skills ;) ). while riding with the group try to pay attention to where you are going and then go back and explore on your own.

if you are really having trouble finding cool riding while you are in dortmund, i can show you around some of our trails here in the D-dorf / Essen area (not really so far from dortmund, especially since you'll have a car). when are you gonna be here?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you have time I would DEFINITELY suggest driving down to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It approx 45 mins SW of Munich. You can ride in the Alps. Some of the best mountain biking areas in Germany.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for those pointers...

Thanks for all those suggestions...

hball, nice picture. If this is right in the city, hum, quite nice! I've never been to Munich so I'm looking forward to it.

SANTACRUZrdr, any specific description to find a parking or trail map for Garmisch-Partenkirchen? 45min south of Munich is not a problem so I'll definitely try that out.

Chuffer, thanks for the offer. I'm from Canada and we are flying on August 20. I should be in Dortmund the 21-22-23-24 but I was probably planning to ride on the 23 or 24. I know people will be working but I will be on vacation!! haha My girlfriend talked to me about an area not too far that has some "woods and mountains", I don't know how to spell it but it is pronounced something like "zauerland" (please don't laugh)!

Cheers.

·
the refurbished one
723 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
...any specific description to find a parking or trail map for Garmisch-Partenkirchen?
you can get some infos here: http://www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de

BanzaiRider said:
...pronounced something like "zauerland"...
change the "z" with an "s" and you have got it.
it is called "Sauerland".

cheers,
phil

·
Registered
26 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
I'm going to be visiting Dortmund and Munich. I'll have my bike with me because after Germany I'm going to the French Alps for riding. I'll also have a car so even if it's not directly in the city as long as it's not too far.

So does anybody have a suggestion of a nice singletrack trail close to one of those 2 cities? Something for a couple of hours of fun. Even a web site with trail description/direction? I don't speak German but my girlfriend could translate it if it's in German. There is some stuff in the trail review section but the location don't mention those cities.

Thanks a lot.
I suppose you should go to Austria, which is not too far from Munich anyway. In Saalbach or Leogang close to Salzburg. It´s great there! They also have dedicated Downhill and Freeride Trails as well as regular XC courses and a BikePark.
beria

·
Registered
447 Posts
is your bike insured???

beria said:
I suppose you should go to Austria, which is not too far from Munich anyway. In Saalbach or Leogang close to Salzburg. It´s great there! They also have dedicated Downhill and Freeride Trails as well as regular XC courses and a BikePark.
beria
may be worth looking into/ have fun.......great countryside.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BanzaiRider said:
Thanks for all those suggestions...

SANTACRUZrdr, any specific description to find a parking or trail map for Garmisch-Partenkirchen? 45min south of Munich is not a problem so I'll definitely try that out.
Cheers.
Here is a bit from the GAP (Garmisch-Partenkirchen) webpage. Some of it is in German, but is fairly simple to navigate. Garmisch is one of my favorite places in Germany.

Cheers.

http://www.garmisch-partenkirchen.de/infomaxcms.php?channel=html&lang=en&imxsession=2375608a5b65de8e24ecaa2e3552d8e5&artid={702b4b02-2d72-bdd7-8794-bff91026911b}

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Tyrol

beria said:
I suppose you should go to Austria, which is not too far from Munich anyway. In Saalbach or Leogang close to Salzburg. It�s great there! They also have dedicated Downhill and Freeride Trails as well as regular XC courses and a BikePark.
beria
Austria/Tyrol has to be one of the most bike friendly places in middle-Europe. It's one of the few places that I know of that allow you to <gasp> legally ride single track.

They're website at http://tiris.tirol.gv.at/scripts/esrimap.dll?name=Bike&Cmd=Start is one of the best resources I've found for biking in Europe.

Bruce

1 - 12 of 12 Posts