Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello North & South Carolina:

I hope no one minds that I briefly hijack your local forum to find some rides. I'll be coming down to South Carolina (staying near Pickens) from Saturday Feb 19th to Saturday the 26th for a training camp with the McGill Cycling team, from Montréal, Canada. www.mcgillcycling.com

Unfortunately, it is a big group of road bikers that I'm coming with, and I'm the sole member who will have a mtb with them. I was down in this same area last year, and I desperately wished that I had brought the mtb, so this year it's happening.

I have been scoping out the trail reviews from SC, and it seems like having really good maps (and map reading skills) or perhaps a GPS are a must for riding off road in the area. I have neither, so I'm hoping someone (or several someones) can show me around some of your local trails during my time down south?

I will have a vehicle and nothing but time during this period; after all it is a training camp just for riding. I am down to ride anytime, morning, midday, or evening, anywhere within 3 hours driving from Pickens, SC.

As for my riding preferences, I am in my heart an all-day XC rider type, but I have also raced downhill for the last 6 years, and I even dabble in road racing from time to time. I would love to meet up with some local pros to kick my ass on their home turf, but I also have no problem going with slower group rides/folks who can show me around. Right now in Montréal there is about a foot and a half of snow on the ground pretty much all the time so really I'm just excited at the prospect of riding some dirt. Riding in the snow gets old after a while.

So thanks in advance for any suggestions/offers of rides! Thanks!
:thumbsup:

Ben

·
Registered
172 Posts
Group night rides tuesday and thursday nights for Issaqueena. Stop by Clemson Cyclery for details and they might have a map.

·
more fun in the middle
12 Posts
welcome to South Carolina.

I know that I'll be riding Tuesday night at 6:00 pm at Paris Mountain. I'm happy to show you around this fun cross-country trail system with some climbing near downtown Greenville.

It looks like Sycamore Cycles is back on for Thursday night rides from the Pisgah Forest store: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=193875590637324.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like both of these suggestions are kind of night rides though, and I don't have any lights; at least at the moment. Do I need lights for these rides?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Ben, I'm riding in Pisgah Feb 19 & 20 if you'd like to join up. We tend to ride some aggressive stuff but nothing you can't walk through, if you choose. We are starting near Brevard, NC, probably close to Hwy 276 & the Blue Ridge Pkwy, I have spare lights, if we happen to extend into the evening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey dropnin, thanks for the offer! Saturday the 19th is when I'll be arriving after a 20 plus hour car trip, so I'll probably just take a nap and then maybe spin around a bit on the road bike to clear the legs out. However, Sunday I'm definitely up for some riding, so let me know when and where on Sunday and I'll be there. I ride a lot of downhill, so aggressive trails shouldn't be a problem, as long as my XC bike can handle it. Am I at risk of snapping my racy little Epic into pieces?

·
Registered
8 Posts
We are definitely riding Sunday, as well, but not sure where. I will update you with the location when we decided. It's going to be a great weekend of riding!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey dropnin, any news about where exactly you guys might be riding on sunday? Not sure that I'll have access to the internet between Friday morning and Sunday morning, just based on my travel schedule and SC accommodations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Ben. Just got back from todays ride. We are meeting at the Fish Hatchery at 9am tomorrow. The Fish Hatchery is just off of Hwy 276 between the Blue Ridge Parkway and Brevard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts