Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here from Colorado till this Saturday. Looking for longer (25+ miles no problem), flowing, wilderness experience. Rode fountainhead a number of years ago and enjoyed it very much.

According to MTB project I'm pretty close to Gerry Connolly. Looks like rain in the next few days. Which trails can take some rain without turning to mud? Any trail recommendations appreciated! Probably can't venture too far from fairfax this time but want to hear what's out there for the next visit! Able to ride most black diamonds. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well, it's not 25+ miles but when it's wet out, Laurel Hills is usually the one that dries out the soonest.

·
I live to bike
2,399 Posts
If you want to be able to ride after rain, come westward. Trails out in the George Washington national forest tend to dry out very quickly. Elizabeth furnace, etc.

Or Andy Guest state park.

But they're an hour or more from Fairfax.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Next time you visit, make sure to ride Bull Run Occoquan trail, it's now open for mountain bikers as well, across the the Fountainhead Parking lot. You can connect both and do a big ride.
Could you please explain in greater detail where the trail head is for the Bull Run Occoquan from the fountainhead parking lot is located? I am not that familiar with the fountainhead lot so I have no point of reference.

thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could you please explain in greater detail where the trail head is for the Bull Run Occoquan from the fountainhead parking lot is located? I am not that familiar with the fountainhead lot so I have no point of reference.

thanks!
It's pretty easy to find, it's in the same lot as the FH trailhead. You might see hikers go there. Here are the coordinates: 38.724935, -77.330627 . It used to have "no bicycles" signs, but rest assured, it's open for mountain bikers now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's pretty easy to find, it's in the same lot as the FH trailhead. You might see hikers go there. Here are the coordinates: 38.724935, -77.330627 . It used to have "no bicycles" signs, but rest assured, it's open for mountain bikers now.
Thanks. I looked it up via the coordinates. From the little I remember of there, is that the same corner and trail where one passes the old cemetery?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not sure, I've never been near that trail head, just seen it from a distance lol.
haha. okay thanks! Will post up what I find out going there when it dries out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the info! Given time and logistics I was not able drive anywhere so had to ride from the house. Believe I rode NoVa epic around Fred Crabtree park and did a bit of the Cross Country trail and was on WOD for a bit.

I'll make notes and try to hit some of your recommendations next time. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts