Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be renting a house in Timberline for a few nights. This is not a mtb trip, but the wife and I would like to get one solid 1/2 day of singletrack.

The Plantation Trail trailhead is only a couple miles from the house and I'd like to ride over there for a morning. Any suggested routes withing that system of trails?
Any "can't miss" connectors, views, waterfalls, etc?

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
there isn't a good singletrack route from timberline up to the top of canaan heights where the plantation trailhead is without hitting road, etc. To get a mix of good singletrack and great scenery in, I would suggest possibly parking at the trailhead on rt32. (there are pullover spots right around it on rt32 and a open area across the road just north of the trailhead where you can park also) you can ride plantation all the way to lindy run trail, and take a right on it. there is a sign saying its un-maintained by usfs on that side, but its awesome. maybe a few trees to cross, but its very scenic! (it is also very technical) that will dump you out on canaan loop rd (unmaintained double track at that point).... you can then take a left on canaan loop rd and bike down till you see Table Rock overlook on your right. Its about 1-2 miles to the overlook, but it will blow you away. There are also some technical spots on the trail! Then return to canaan loop road, take a left and not to far on your right is the other end of plantation, take that up to lindy and take a right..that dumps you out to canaan loop road again, and you can take a left and take that back to rt32 and left back to your car. That way you get to ride all of plantation trail and lindy trail (2 of the toughest trails there are) and see the best overlook in the area all in one ride!

This is a totally doable epic tour in half a day if you are a strong rider because a whole bunch of it is pretty technical and can wear you down fast because there isn't much smooth terrain besides canaan loop road. But you can alter your route how you see fit because canaan loop rd. (in red) loops around the mountain from rt32 all the way to blackwater falls. with a network of trails in between, so loop possibilities are numerous. There is also a map you can get at blackwater bikes in davis you can get. when will you be in town?

Attachments

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks oldnoob, I was planning on driving to the trailhead. sounds like a good route. I would consider myself advanced for fitness and technical riding, and the wife more intermediate. she's a trooper and she's in great shape.

we arrive Wed 8/11 and leaving Sunday the 15th. there's 3 couples, lots of kids, and plenty of other activities planned. we are the only cyclists and I'll be happy getting a solid 1/2 day squeezed in there.

·
Registered
427 Posts
how long is that loop that you described? I was thinking about going up there this Saturday. Is it also worth checking out the Canaan Valley Loop?

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
possibly 20-25 miles or so. the terrain makes it seem a whole lot longer unless you are used to it tho! :) id give yourself a good 4-5hrs for it depending on your conditioning. it's about as dry as it gets right now so the riding will be a little easier without as many mud bogs. dunno what the weather till next weekend will bring, but we sure need the rain for everything else! send me a message if you want to try and coordinate some riding tho. (but i usually don't ride before 11 while we have all this daylight in the summer)

not sure what canaan valley loop you are referring to. if you mean the trails in the canaan state park i would tell you they aren't worth checking out unless you want to ride on trails that you could ride on pretty much in any area.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
Just want to make sure you know what these trails are like. Plantation is a tough trail. Quite technical so you will know. If you want to see some photos of it you can go to the trails section of Singletracks.com where I have posted many. Here is a video that shows a few of the trails off Plantation, of course some of them are on the other side of the road but will give you an idea.

What an awesome place to ride. Don't let the technical stuff deter you. If you don't want that technical there's plenty of not so technical stuff that oldnoob can show you as well right there near Davis.

Hope you have a great time.

oldnoob, hope to get back up and ride with you soon.

ODN

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up outdoornut. We'll be OK...we do most of our riding deep in Pisgah here in NC. Really looking forward to riding some new trails.

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One more thing...what's the story with dining in Davis? We usually go out the first night and cook for the remainder of the trip. I was planning on Blackwater Brewing last year, but we got detoured to Hellbender Burritos. Atmosphere and service was fine, but the burritoes were just blah. I want to try Blackwater, but it seems to get slammed in online reviews. Any suggestions?

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
kkjellquist said:
but the burritoes were just blah.
Wow ! I've never heard that. Which burrito did you get, or did you build your own? Just curious. I took our bike club in there and everyone goes back now. Sorry you had a bad experience (food wise) as Hellbender. I know the owner and would like to know which burrito it was.

As noted, the Fiddle has some great food. I've also had great meals at the Bright Morning Inn, right beside Blackwater Bikes across from Hellbender.

ODN

·
song of the saw-whet owl
428 Posts
kkjellquist said:
One more thing...what's the story with dining in Davis? We usually go out the first night and cook for the remainder of the trip. I was planning on Blackwater Brewing last year, but we got detoured to Hellbender Burritos. Atmosphere and service was fine, but the burritoes were just blah. I want to try Blackwater, but it seems to get slammed in online reviews. Any suggestions?
I highly dis-recommend blackwater brewing company. Seriously..bad food, beer and atmosphere.

Go to Siriannis!! There is a new location in canaan close to timberline even. (next to big john's on the bottom floor of the new Landis realty building) The original one is in Davis next door to the bike shop. Both have the same menu and awesome pizza and pastas. (Most of the veggies and stuff they use is local too) They are also huge supporters of the mountain bike community and always sponsor free pizza for the local bike races and sometimes trailwork days.

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
outdoornut said:
Wow ! I've never heard that. Which burrito did you get, or did you build your own? Just curious.

ODN
Pretty sure I had one of the Buffalo style. Not a big deal. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't awesome either. We are spoiled here in Asheville with the number of ridiculously good tex-mex & burrito shops. Waitress was very nice and it was a fun place.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Originally I wasn't crazy about Hellbenders either, but the best menu item (for me) is the Chicken Hellbender. Sirianni's is the bomb. Great pies, and the Parmesean Wedges are incredible. Mutley's has a great special on their steak night, but as of the last time I was there they still allowed patrons to smoke inside so no more Mutley's for me until they start to enforce the Tucker County Health Ordinances.

I can't say this strongly enough: DO NOT GO TO BLACKWATER BREWING. The beer sucks. The food sucks worse. Any option is better than there.

Purple Fiddle has never wowed me, nor disappointed me either.

One of my favorite places, if you're willing to drive a bit, is the Golden Anchor. Its about 2 miles south of Canaan Valley State Park and will be on your right. They fly in the seafood fresh from the coast. Granted, its better in ski season, but I've had plenty of meals there in non-skiing months and have never been disappointed.

Again: AVOID BLACKWATER BREWING.

·
spooge is gone!
290 Posts
Was in Mutley's last summer and never saw anyone smoking. Their veggie lasagna was the best I've ever had.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
Cacapon said:
Was in Mutley's last summer and never saw anyone smoking. Their veggie lasagna was the best I've ever had.
That's good news. My last visit was probably three years ago. They were in open violation of the county ordinance and actually had the nerve to advertise with the slogan "Too loud, too smoky, too bad."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts