Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not-quite-geezer RVer
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi AZ folks,

Well, we're finally heading back to Arizona with the RV after some 5 years away! Our first stop will be Tucson, arriving tomorrow afternoon and staying for a week or two, who knows.

Among other things, I'm hoping to hit some of the big stuff off Mt Lemmon that I've managed to miss in previous trips, such as CDO, maybe Lemmon Drop, or at least Bugs Mille.

First question is: how's the snow/slop factor up high right now? (meaning, can things be ridden off the tip top, or if not, how high is clear?)

Second question is: Might anybody want to join me on Thursday and/or Friday for something on Lemmon? Exact ride attempted will depend on the answer to #1 above, but note that I do have a shuttle driver available I can share (aka Ms FoldsInHalf) :D. Looks like some rain (maybe snow high) is expected this weekend so I'm thinking of trying to squeeze in a high ride or two before that.

Oh and some of you "old timers" might recognize my forum name, and be interested to know that I am no longer rocking my namesake folding mountain bike, but now enjoy a proper carbon wunderbike (Ibis) for this sort of stuff. Been putting it to pretty good use all over the country the past few years. Some deets below if you wanna browse:
DEBCAR Mountain Biking Reports and Log and/or Strava Logs

Any local info about current Lemmon conditions will be appreciated. And just reply here or PM me if interested in connecting for a ride.

Cheers,
Carey

·
Registered
640 Posts
There's some snow at the top, but nothing that should be too bad, especially if you're dropping quickly to lower elevations
Summerhaven: Webcam

Check facebook for TORCA and MTB Addicts, they're among the more active groups that I know of. Last Friday's TORCA ride had a fair amount of out-of-towners you might be able to connect with

And then there's that other thread
8ish rides of christmas

·
DFL>DNF>DNS
3,353 Posts
Hey Carey, welcome back!! Last time I saw you, Seron & I were cruising along the BCT and then we watched in awe as you stuffed that folding bike into your hatchback with ease!!

To follow up on Steve's comment, the north facing trails off Lemmon will probably have much more snow, CDO. We were up top a couple weeks ago after a light snowfall and the upper reaches of Oracle Ridge had a good 3-4" of snow while Summerhaven was almost clear. The TORCA & MTB Addicts can definitely give you a better idea of what to expect up top.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It snowed a good 5-8" up top Christmas weekend. Plan was to do Millie this morning but locked my keys in the car so I wish I could update you on those conditions but still at home waiting for the wife to go on lunch.

·
Not-quite-geezer RVer
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info, folks. Good idea about the webcams too--I should remember to check for those myself more often. Unfortunately it looks like more snow at the top of Lemmon than I wanna deal with right now so I think I'll wait and see if I can catch those top down rides on the flip flop or something.

I'm gonna guess that Bugs Millie will be viable sometime next week even if it does rain/snow this weekend, so unless someone really wants to hit it tomorrow, I think I'm gonna switch plans a bit and try to catch that one next week...

So on Thursday, I think I'll cruise some AZT near Vail on our way into town from New Mexico.

Then Friday, I'll join the "8-ish days" group assault on Upper 50. Hopefully I'll fare a little better on that stuff this time around than the last time on my folder. ;) Seems like the good old AZ Spring Fling concept just moved forward a few months. Cool!

Keep the updates coming (if any) and still keep in touch if anybody wants a buddy for a Millie ride soon.

·
Plus size jersey model
1,250 Posts
Bugs thru Millie is good to go now. I was up there yesterday and there was not a lot of snow on Bugs and was snow free after the second hike a bike. After that trails are running amazing. We did a ton of trail work on those trails the last few months in preparation for the Pachanga. I think they are calling for the storm to come in on Sunday so Friday or Saturday would be a great day for Bugs thru Millie.

CDO is gonna be a little snow heavy but the ride is an adventure no matter what anyway. I have done it a few times in the snow and again the snow usually clears after the first couple miles since you drop elevation pretty fast at the beginning. The gate on top of Lemmon will be closes though so you would have to tack on a 2 mile pedal up to the top to start the ride. If you are going to be in town though for a couple weeks CDO might be pretty good the following weekend. I don't think the storm this weekend is a super cold one so I don't foresee tons more snow and then give that to the following weekend CDO is probably gonna be a pretty nice ride. I know there are some new trees down already since we(TORCA) don't usually start removing them until March/April but again its an "adventure" ride you are suppose to climb over trees ;)

I wouldn't bother with a Lemmon drop its not going to be worth battling the snow up top since the best trails anyway are Bugs thru Millie. I mean the others are great just the bottom half is primo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts