Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll be visiting friends in Anchorage the first week of April, and my son (15) and I would love to get out and ride. What should I expect as far as trail conditions, riding options? Coming from the midwest, I have no idea what to expect for April weather in the Anchorage area. Do you have seasonal trail closures like we do (too wet/muddy)?

Any input would be great!

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's generally too early for trail riding in Anchorage in early April. Most folks will still be on their fat bikes during that time frame. Variable temp ranges are 25-35 F for the lows and 35-45 F for the highs. The roads generally become snow/ice free mid to late April and allow for road/cyclocross/gravel bikes. Generally the first trails to dry out enough to ride are out at Kepler Bradley park near Palmer (40 miles north of Anchorage) in early to mid May. The fat biking is awesome around Anchorage and even north and south of Anchorage if you will have transportation. If you are intent on riding, I would recommend planning on fat biking. Of course all this depends on how much snow we continue to get, temps, etc. I'd check in closer to your departure date. Our snow pack is pretty lean so far.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know. I kind of figured there would be snow, but wasn't sure whether things would still be frozen or if the weather would be starting to change yet. Fat biking is still riding, so I don't have an issue with that. I kind of figured we'd be renting fat bikes, as that seems to be the most popular rental.

Thanks for the info. I'll start looking into trails and routes for fat biking.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,653 Posts
Well, not always snow, just generally a mess and where there isn't snow it'll be nasty saturated mud (big ruts). About the only thing that you can ride around that time is the road. Even the bike paths like Chester, Coastal, Campbell fall apart around that time. I start doing road rides into the hillside or running down low.

Things can change and we can have an early spring, but the snow saturates the top layers of the soil and after the snow is gone it needs a few weeks of consistent dry sunny weather to bake the moisture out of it, otherwise huge ruts stay all season from those who go out and ride when they shouldn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts