Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading south for the holidays and thinking about totin' the HT along. Any good trails to hit around Ventura, or maybe Ojai while the ladies are shopping? The first MTBer I ever saw was a guy riding a cruiser down from Two Trees, but I believe that area is off limits now.

I've found bringing a bike to family gatherings makes me a much happier camper. ;)
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Rufudufus said:
Heading south for the holidays and thinking about totin' the HT along. Any good trails to hit around Ventura, or maybe Ojai while the ladies are shopping? The first MTBer I ever saw was a guy riding a cruiser down from Two Trees, but I believe that area is off limits now.

I've found bringing a bike to family gatherings makes me a much happier camper. ;)
Lots of great biking, depending on what you are looking for.

If you are looking for an area that is nothing more than XC, to include lots of fireroads and some fun but intermediate at most singletrack, I would recommend Sycamore Canyon. In addition to being pretty easy to navigate, it is one of the few places you can put in 20 miles without beating yourself up and not to mention, nice ocean views from a trail called Overlook (~3 mile fireroad climb).

you can start from either the Newbury Park side off of the 101 freeway. In this case you would take Wendy Dr to Lynn Rd, turn right on Lynn Rd and about a mile or so you will see the park entrance on the left. take till it ends at the parking lot. This essentially will drop you right off on Sycamore Canyon Rd (see map).

or you can start from the ocean side as noted in the map. both are fine. some people do not like to start on the Newbury Park side cause there is a relatively steep paved asphalt hill you will need to take at the end of your ride but it is not really a big deal.

the map below highlights one route but you can put whatever you want together.

the best singletrack is the Guadalasca Trail which you enter off of Wood canyon Fire Road. Easy to get to regardless of which side you start from.

Another great, but shorter singletrack, is the Backbone trail. Not on this map but it may be what is meant on this map as the Wood Canyon Vista Trail. As you can see, it would start right where the 3 trails intersect; Guadalasca, La Jolla Valley Fireroad (referred to as hell Hill by locals), and the Wood Canyon Vista Trail (ie, backbone trail).

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
253 Posts
Ride in Ventura

Rufudufus said:
Heading south for the holidays and thinking about totin' the HT along. Any good trails to hit around Ventura, or maybe Ojai while the ladies are shopping? The first MTBer I ever saw was a guy riding a cruiser down from Two Trees, but I believe that area is off limits now.

I've found bringing a bike to family gatherings makes me a much happier camper. ;)
You would be crazy to not do the Gridley Trail in Ojia. Look it up on this site. It is the best ride in the area. Up an outstanding canyon to the highest peak in the region turning into single track to double track to single track...... Long climb, technical sections , I never saw one person. Sycamore is ok but is alonger drive from Ventura and there is no where for your wife to hang out. Ojia is quaint and cute and has tourist stuff going on.
 

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
good point about the wife shopping....did not catch that part. guess it boils down to what riding is preferred (not indicated in original post). Gridley is definitely a better ride in terms of technical stuff thrown in with LOTS of singletrack.....if that is the riding desired, the definitely Gridley. If more basic XC desired, Sycamore would be ok and the Thousand Oaks mall is close by (though not as much personality of course as downtown Ojai).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I'm an Oregon transplant returning to the homestead. I used to hike Sycamore Canyon back in the 80s and have been thinking about taking the bike there, but was hoping for something closer to home. Guess I'm spoiled having singletrack just a 5-minute ride from my house...and 20 minutes from the mother-in-law's house.;)

Thanks for the tip on Gridley, might be a little more than I want to handle solo, but I'm not too proud to walk if it gets too hairy. Beats spending 5 hours wandering through the shops of Ojai

I'll be on the family's schedule, but let me know if you'd like to try to hook up for a ride next week. It's nice to ride with somone who knows where they're going. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
Rufudufus said:
Thanks for the tip on Gridley, might be a little more than I want to handle solo, but I'm not too proud to walk if it gets too hairy. Beats spending 5 hours wandering through the shops of Ojai

I'll be on the family's schedule, but let me know if you'd like to try to hook up for a ride next week. It's nice to ride with somone who knows where they're going. :)
Gridley is all up then all down to return, not that exciting. Romero Canyon has more variety and vegetation, a short drive up to Summerland for you. Even Sycamore offers a lot more, plenty of singletrack that wasn't there in the 80's.
 

·
Pixie Dust Addict
Joined
·
3,368 Posts
pacman said:
Gridley is all up then all down to return, not that exciting. Romero Canyon has more variety and vegetation, a short drive up to Summerland for you. Even Sycamore offers a lot more, plenty of singletrack that wasn't there in the 80's.
I'll second Romero Canyon. A short drive up the coast (the surf at Rincon has been amazing this week) and a nice fire road/singletrack up and back.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top