Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Very nice!

Tracked brush mower? Tell us more! I know Woodway could use one of those bad boys up in PVCA. Not so much salal/Oregon grape in my areas. But, looks like it would be prefect for that stuff. What about bigger branches/logs buried in the brush?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Borneo said:
Tracked brush mower? Tell us more! I know Woodway could use one of those bad boys up in PVCA. Not so much salal/Oregon grape in my areas. But, looks like it would be prefect for that stuff. What about bigger branches/logs buried in the brush?
Bigger branches and logs must be handled by advanced scout clearing the way by hand or with a chain saw. This person is usually the most intelligent and best looking gnome.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Happy with the results

Was not sure of how the program would work. Running down the trail with standard blade on the mover pretty well mulches everything left on the trail. Dead and soft logs are all fun to turn into fluff. Thumb sized brush stems are no match for the mower. With tactics the thing would cut through bigger stuff. We hedge trimmed the route prior which was a project in itself. This area is thick with brush. Then as fugly mentioned, a colonic is necassary to get anything too big out of the way. Return trip was the test. .5" dia bolts were put through the blade at 25% in from tip, 2" drop. The blade is very hard steel. Bolts were carrage and soft steel so they would bend on heavy impact. Machine took out bumps and dug down into tread some fluffing up the remainder. Will pack down quickly. With two machines in the arsenal, the next extension to this trail will be easy to do.
NN- of the collective.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Duthie possibilies too.

Westra definately could use something like that too. Lots of salal and Oregon grape out there. I'll be one of those could replace 20 apathetic mountain bikers with machetes and McLeods. Is there some climbing/descending restrictions? And, what kind of organic does it leave on the trail bed? I realize there is more glacial till over there so it drains well. But, does it leave enough that still warrants a scraping after?

·
Registered
248 Posts
it's easy

No secret. It's the Newberry project in Kitsap. Now, actually contribute by putting in physical work and helping to build more xc trails and you will be accepted by the collective, or any of the few who build trails or bike parks out there. I especially like the poachers who state they only have time to ride, but not help build or maintain what they ride on. OR stay away if you are not a builder somewhere. OR what are the trails worth to you per foot. And we all pay taxes so you're not special.:thumbsup:
cheers
NN-of the collective

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
And, people think I'm harsh....

Remember, people can give back in more ways than just physical labor. Or, so that's what the "don't rock the boat" PC folks say. Send money instead, buy trail labor. It's the elitist way! :thumbsup:

All the shots I've even seen look like good stuff out there. Someday I'll ride it....

·
I5Troll
1,343 Posts
That looks awesome for the heavy Or Grape and Salal sections... any chance of getting y'all out to Duthie? Now is the perfect time... we are brushing lotsa XC and will soon be ready to brush in some of the freeride lines.

When we're dealing with ferns, the saw/machete/McLeod/McLaski crew moves fast. As soon as we hit the heavy OG and Salal, things slow way down.

1 thing... most of the time we're dealing with a very thin organic layer and then hard and gravely dirt... kinda like Tokul E, but not quite as much rock. Will that do a # on the brush mower?

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Super smart way to get through salal! I gotta say that is some of my least favorite stuff to cut trail through (although a distant second behind devils club / sticker bushes!). Nicely done.

no nancies said:
No secret. It's the Newberry project in Kitsap. Now, actually contribute by putting in physical work and helping to build more xc trails and you will be accepted by the collective, or any of the few who build trails or bike parks out there. I especially like the poachers who state they only have time to ride, but not help build or maintain what they ride on. OR stay away if you are not a builder somewhere. OR what are the trails worth to you per foot. And we all pay taxes so you're not special.:thumbsup:
cheers
NN-of the collective
I like you No Nancies. Way not to mix words. :thumbsup:

EB

·
Build More = Ride More
1,442 Posts
no nancies said:
cheers
NN-of the collective
Sweet. So my work at other places works like carbon credits for destroying stuff I didn't help build? ;)

You can count on me helping you guys out. Kitsap is my spawning grounds, gotta represent! I should be able to fire up a few of my buddies still living out there to help too.

Between Duthie and Newberry, this is going to be a great year for building.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
mower trail building

that thing eats some serious salal & such. rode the new stuff today that was put in w/ that monster. doesn't look like anything other than that machine established the trail & it is easily rideable. looking forward to seeing the damage it's gonna do @ Banner.;)

·
Wierdo
3,207 Posts
WOW, I have to get one of those babies. We are getting ready to start cutting new trail at PVCA and that mower looks like it would do a sweet job. Can you give me some specs on what kind of mower you are using? Brand, size, horsepower, etc.?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.