Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering getting one of These but don't have any expereince with bouncers!! Current ride is a Scott Scale 40!

Has anyone got any feed back about these?? Is there a recommended rider weight to stay under due the the carbon chain stays??

Are Viper bikes any good???

Cheers for any help!

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Those stays look SCARY... I wouldnt ride that on the road....

To be honest, you wouldnt want to use something like that for everyday riding - it looks like a race-day only frame to me.

If you wanted a general use/everyday frame by that company... theres their RC 1.0 frame (125mm rear travel) which looks much more substantial...
Well, actually when you look at it, its very very similar to the Pace RC405 frame.

I dont know much about the company to be fair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EnglishT said:
Those stays look SCARY... I wouldnt ride that on the road....

To be honest, you wouldnt want to use something like that for everyday riding - it looks like a race-day only frame to me.

If you wanted a general use/everyday frame by that company... theres their RC 1.0 frame (125mm rear travel) which looks much more substantial...
Well, actually when you look at it, its very very similar to the Pace RC405 frame.

I dont know much about the company to be fair.
Yeah looked at the RC1.0 frame but it's quite a bit heavier!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Viper is good!

Hi,
nothing wrong with the Viper if you are looking for a xc racing bike. So it is not plush but it is very efficient.
I'm form the Netherlands and Viper is Belgium based so they get tested in the mags here pretty often. It is not a BLING brand, but it is a solid performance for your money!
The Fugitive is a xc racer like I said. Construction is however solid for that catagory. As for the chainstay, it flexes up and down like an Orbea Oiz or Cannondale Scalpel. It is stiff in the left right movement though. Try it with your ruler...you will see.
As for the reply that dissed the chainstay-concept from the picture only: that is not usable advice. Give comments on bikes if you have hands on experience, otherwise it's just another opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dutch Barry said:
Hi,
nothing wrong with the Viper if you are looking for a xc racing bike. So it is not plush but it is very efficient.
I'm form the Netherlands and Viper is Belgium based so they get tested in the mags here pretty often. It is not a BLING brand, but it is a solid performance for your money!
The Fugitive is a xc racer like I said. Construction is however solid for that catagory. As for the chainstay, it flexes up and down like an Orbea Oiz or Cannondale Scalpel. It is stiff in the left right movement though. Try it with your ruler...you will see.
As for the reply that dissed the chainstay-concept from the picture only: that is not usable advice. Give comments on bikes if you have hands on experience, otherwise it's just another opinion.
Thanks for the reply, needed to here from someone with experience of the Viper frames as i thought a lot of people who would reply would probably be guessing they are not very good with nothing to back it up!!!:rolleyes:
Yeah knew that it would be strong left to right and looking closely on there website as to how it is actually fitted to the ally, slotted in sideways and bolted, knew it would be pretty strong there as well!!
So I ordered the carbon one at the weekend!!! Nice to know it was a good decision!!

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Congrats and good luck - make sure you get the driveside stay protected though - something makes me think it would NOT like chainslap too much.

Let us know how you get on :)
(post pics ofc :D)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Believe it or not the flex system is so stiff it actually feels like a hardtail more than a bouncer, that is until the going gets rough then she smooths out the bumps nicely!!
As for how the stays are mounted, they slot in and have like a bulb end so the can't be pulled out forward and on top of that they are then bolted in place as well!!!
Very impressed with it, just can't seem to find a manual for the rear shock anywhere!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I´ve been thinking about buying one of theese Fugitif frames, but those reviews at CRC haven´t been any helpfull. Only problem I have is the fork travel. Because I have 08 Fox f32 with 80mm travel and this frame is intended for fork with 100mm travel. So is the head tube angle going to change how radicaly from 71 degrees?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.