Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored this bike for $30. It's a 1984/85 Trek 460 racing bike. Bike looks like it has maybe 100 miles on it, Cherry! (do cherries come in blue....???)

I will now remove the derailleurs and shifters and convert it to a single speed. Came with a Maillard Helicomatic rear hub, bummer,... So, all I have to do is find a rear wheel. I'm going to try a 7speed hybrid wheel a buddy gave me.

Any comments? Suggestions? Where do I find some cheap used groovy additions such as bendy steel handlebars??

Attachments

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I am insanely jealous of that $30 score. Absolutely killer steal there. And now, given half the chance, I never tire of posting pics of my own project: old Treks + those Nashbar moustache bars = tasty tasty tasty

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
voodoovegan said:
I scored this bike for $30. It's a 1984/85 Trek 460 racing bike. Bike looks like it has maybe 100 miles on it, Cherry! (do cherries come in blue....???)

I will now remove the derailleurs and shifters and convert it to a single speed. Came with a Maillard Helicomatic rear hub, bummer,... So, all I have to do is find a rear wheel. I'm going to try a 7speed hybrid wheel a buddy gave me.

Any comments? Suggestions? Where do I find some cheap used groovy additions such as bendy steel handlebars??
old Treks are cool!

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure when she was born, but she was sold from the Presidio Bicycle Shop in September, 84. Got it down to two cogs using the stock Maillard Helicomatic hub. I'm trying to track down some cheap time trial bars to finish it off. Soon, my sweet, soon. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Stupid rain is keeping me inside and making me fat this week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Helicomatic as singlespeed

I use an old helicomatic rear wheel on my street single speed. It doesnt get cheaper.
Take off all the cogs on the freewheel and spin the 15 teth cog back on. Gave me a good chainline with the 42 up front on the inside of an old Stronglight crank. It wont last forever, but at that price who cares.

·
Registered
120 Posts
voodoovegan said:
Added ghetto TT bars and tape I had lying around. After I change the brake housing I will be done untill I start breaking stuff. So far I have spent only the original $30. I have to say, i'm pretty proud of myself.
that's great work! - I'm going to have to start checking all the garage sales that will inevitably start popping up around here all summer.....

what gearing are you running anyway??

·
Registered
120 Posts
voodoovegan said:
Added ghetto TT bars and tape I had lying around. After I change the brake housing I will be done untill I start breaking stuff. So far I have spent only the original $30. I have to say, i'm pretty proud of myself.
that's great work! - I'm going to have to start checking all the garage sales that will inevitably start popping up around here all summer.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
voodoovegan said:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.